Print

Author Topic: TMK is at least 5 years overdue for a redesign!!  (Read 9442 times)

« on: September 14, 2004, 05:48:50 PM »
TMK is at least 5 years overdue for a redesign!! I speak the truth, do I not?

TMK's design looks old; anyone can tell it's from the late 1990's. TMK really needs a redesign. C'mon Deezer, let's get with the program, huh?
TMK/Fungi Forums-Maniac since 2002.

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 05:56:19 PM »
I disagree. Change scares people. I haven't been on Nintendo.com since they changed the format, and when the TV guide channel started using blue as their main color, I stopped watching for five or so months. Small improvements make things better, but redesigning something that has worked so well for so long can only end in disaster. And what's wrong with the late 1990's?

Let me away from this boulder!
Let me away from this boulder!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 09:29:08 PM »
Uh. I think Deezer last changed the design 2 or  at the most 3 years ago... making it from at least 2001... You don't know what you're talking about... Thank you.
That was a joke.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 05:36:11 PM »
I love the design, it's the reason I stuck around when I first came here. Most forum setups/color schemes offend my eye. This one appeals to me for some reason.

Egg Power

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 06:15:06 PM »
4-5 years...no.
Site needs a redesign..I would vote no.
Chup's post...funny.

Push Button...
Receive Bacon! ®
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 06:22:56 PM »
I like the design. Deezer shouldn't modify the current design because of one guy complaining. The dark color design also appeals to me, and the design of the background brings out the "Mario essense." I hate those pages with text deliberately spelt wrong and bad grammer and flashy backgrounds with seizure-inducing color schemes. Here's an example of awful text:

WeLcOMe to TONys KEWL MARiO SITE!!!!!
We haVe all tHE info abowt evrething fro Peech to Bowzer!!!

Those types of people try too hard. This site's design and format I find more "intellectual wise". It shoudn't be changed to fit drooling monkeys.

Romance is for the weak-minded.

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 06:35:52 PM »
Man, all WarioLandMan does is complain and moan. Can't you ever AGREE with anything in life?

Know why the elderly contribute so much to the church? To buy their way into Heaven from a lifetime of sin.

Edited by - TJOghost8 on 9/16/2004 5:39:44 PM
Know why the elderly contribute so much to the church? To buy their way into Heaven from a lifetime of sin.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 08:08:56 PM »
WELCOME TWO

DEEZERS MAIRO WORLD!!!

Complite with misplelings, eye-burning colors, and fonts that wll scair you're little brother!

Edited by - Markio on 9/16/2004 7:13:41 PM

"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 11:54:27 PM »
Was WLM talking about TMK or the Fungi Forums?

Either way ... Markio is a genius.

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 9/16/2004 10:55:16 PM
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2004, 09:56:51 AM »
The Fungi Furoms should stay just like they are.  I also like the TMK design, but think it's time for a new splash screen.  The only addition I would like added is a single page of all screenshots for a game so the high speed internet users don't have to click every link to see all the images.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2004, 12:18:03 AM »
That is a good idea.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2004, 06:58:55 PM »
I'm talking about the main site, not FF.

____
My Wario''s on fire!

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2004, 10:56:47 PM »
Once I get the screen shots running off the database script, I can do Luigison's idea.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2004, 11:04:44 PM »
What about the new splash screen?  We were told the new one would be different, but if it is not coming anytime soon could the old one be updated.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2004, 11:10:02 PM »
I just noticed (imagined) a pattern in the years on the splash screen.

Edited by - Luigison on 9/20/2004 10:11:19 PM

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2004, 01:15:07 PM »
The splash screen is an out of date idea and I find it to be irritating. Whenever I come here, I just type ....com/tmk/tmk.shtml  To avoid the splashscreen.

Besides, that's not what I'm talking about.

____
My Wario''s on fire!

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2004, 06:15:15 PM »
Still the design of the entire site is fine, it doesn't need a change....
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2004, 10:57:29 AM »
Some people might have a different opinion.
A new design doesn't have to be stupid, as suggested in previous posts, it just has to bring a fresh new look to TMK and the FF.

____
My Wario''s on fire!

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2004, 11:17:49 AM »
I posted a topic on another board: Clicky!

____

My Wario''s on fire!

Edited by - wariolandman on 9/25/2004 10:19:13 AM

TEM

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2004, 04:18:59 PM »
Wow, people from another board agree with you, I'm convinced, let's redesign the site.

Egg Power

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2004, 11:54:59 PM »
Hehe. The only posts in that thread worth listening to are the ones that use proper capitalization.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2004, 11:22:57 AM »
I like the fact that TMK has a dark background and high contrast colors.  It reminds me of a site I made a long time ago.

TEM

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2004, 02:36:40 PM »
Hmmm. The words, "I made a long time ago." turn green and have an underline when my mouse goes over them like a link, but they are unclickable.

Egg Power

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2004, 02:45:53 PM »
http://www.geocities.com/dr_shows/index2.html

The link work fine for me, but there it is if it didn't for you.  Deezer used red and blue as they are Mario's colors while my site had more yellow and purple colors.  some yellow could work on TMK since Mario's buttons are yellow, but purple won't work.  Green might also be a welcome color since Luigi also is from TMK.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2004, 07:45:54 PM »
Purple wouldn't work?  That's all TMK used to be: black and purple.  Thank goodness those days are over.

Anyway, if you realized just how big TMK is, and then realize that a fair amount of the design was hard coded (since it was designed before CSS was widely used), you'd understand the sheer amount of work that would have to be done: every single page changed.  That said, we are working on updating certain parts of the site, but it will be more of an evolutionary than revolutionary change.  We'd rather give you content than asthetics, and the asthetics aren't half-bad anyway.

With Nintendo pushing retro themes, why can't this site stay retro?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2004, 08:30:22 PM »
I meant that purple wasn't a Mario color.  To be truely retro it would have to plain text, possibly black & white, or the two GameBoy colors.

I like it the way it is, but would be willing to edit pages to CSS format if you or Deezer make the template.  With CSS we could easily change the color scheme and images to fit a holiday, new game or system release, etc.

TEM

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2004, 02:45:33 PM »
Retro

Egg Power

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2004, 06:34:48 PM »
Yeah, I realize this site must be absolutely monstrous, but I believe a redesign could be done.

Is Deezer still using WordPad? Deezer, you should consider purchasing a nice HTML program like DreamWeaver. With DreamWeaver, LOADS of stuff is simplified. You can even make a universal template to apply to every page or certain ones. Changing site design would be a simple as updating a few templates. DreamWeaver is definitely worth the money, and it's what I use for my site, Mac GUI

____

My Wario''s on fire!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2004, 11:20:47 PM »
Are you trying to imply that your site looks better than TMK?  AHAHAHAHAHAHA, you're certainly not going to convince us to change based on that!  Dreamweaver might be good for the technically inept, but it sucks otherwise.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2004, 12:05:43 AM »
As it stands now, I can easily change the menu appearance, logos, and some text properties. I just don't want to.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2004, 12:51:23 AM »
Megabyte, you probably shouldn't just assume what someone is possibly implying, because if he wasn't it makes you look... "bad", I guess, but if it was definitely implied in his post, which I doubt, then assume away.

Also, this site has a good design and all that, but there's a lot of empty space and almost too much simplicity on the splash page, in my opinion.  Just the rectangle with the 5 different Mario sprites is a little boring, but I don't mean you have to spice things up so much they burn your tongue.  I saw the previous splash pages with TMK in big letters and different font colors, and then the cartoony mario ones and the one with TMK spelled with a SSBM pic cut-out, and they all looked better because it wasn't just "red, blue, brown", the only colors Mario has.  With Yoshi or Luigi's green or the princess's pink or yellow, there would be more variety in color, while still downplaying the "seizure-causing eye-candy".  Forgive me for not being able to work out my grammar for this post.

Everything is as smooth as sandpaper pajamas.

TEM

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2004, 05:19:39 PM »
It seemed to me he was implying that.

Egg Power

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2004, 10:45:13 PM »
We've had ideas for the splash page, but seriously, it's a freaking splash page... you should bookmark the main page and never go back.  The sheer amount of whining has made us NOT want to change it.

And Markio, my statement was conditional.  "Are you..."  with a response based on that condition.  That isn't quite the same as an assumption.

Edited by - MEGAߥTE on 9/28/2004 9:47:21 PM

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2004, 11:15:03 PM »
Alright then,  you are acquitted of the charges of my suggestion, which becomes null and void due to an application to the wrong situation.

Big words are fun...

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2004, 07:09:42 PM »
I'm not implying anything except that TMK needs a redesign.

____
Being a better slave never made anyone free

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2004, 10:14:34 PM »
DOT DOT DOT HOW THE HECK DID THAT HAPPEN I WAS TRYING TO POST IN MY OTHER TOPIC I GUESS I FORGOT HOW TO POST IN A CLOSED TOPIC</wtd>

("o0o") My metroid thinks you are stupid. People who
....v...v disagree with metroids often get sucked dry.<•>_<•>

Edited by - donotcare95 on 10/5/2004 9:19:54 PM

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2004, 10:21:34 PM »
Now, back to the topic at hand.
===========================

Those stupid Gamespy ads are getting way out of hand. I refreshed a page after getting one of those, and IT CAME UP WITH THE AD AGAIN!!! I hate Gamespy. Unfortunately, it's the only way TMK can go to E3...

("o0o") My metroid thinks you are stupid. People who
....v...v disagree with metroids often get sucked dry.<•>_<•>

Print