Print

Author Topic: Your F Score?  (Read 94489 times)

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 09:16:56 PM »
Also, question 18 is terribly written -- I answered 6 because I read it as "personal issues" -- like, what I do in my own home/bedroom, what I do with my body, conversations I have with others on sensitive issues, etc. Considering 6 is "very fascist" it probably meant to mean "governmental doings". If you interpret it like I did, a 1 is most fascist and a 6 is least.

I'm changing my score to 1.93333...
~I.S.~

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 09:22:23 PM »

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 09:47:05 PM »

I'm a liberal airhead. Many years ago, I probably would have scored much higher.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 09:55:47 PM »
The problem with any test like this is that no matter how fine-tuned it gets (and this one is on the higher end, as far as that goes), it still won't be able to avoid generalizing or oversimplifying.  I have a feeling I would have scored higher had I been able to go deeper (inb4 Inception jokes) into the issues.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 10:04:09 PM »
Scoring higher is a bad thing in my mind :(
~I.S.~

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 10:09:16 PM »
And scoring lower is a bad thing in mine.  That's generally the view that people on one side have of the other side.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 10:28:33 PM »
So you'd rather have that guy in the empty suit make decisions for you? ... I don't see what's bad about wanting to make your own decisions without government intrusion.

to each his own, I guess. I do hope you, at the very least, didn't put anything above a 3 for question 16. Most of these questions I can see the other side, but disagree with it... but that one...

Also for some reason there's no option to move this to Not at the Dinner Table, even though I'm trying to do it. I think it thinks the child board is the same thing as the main board.

EDIT: never mind, found it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:31:32 PM by Insane Steve »
~I.S.~

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 10:31:51 PM »
I put a four, but that's probably the single most oversimplified question of the bunch, because it's a rather complicated issue.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 10:33:16 PM »
There's a HUGE difference between not liking homosexuality and actually wanting to criminalise it.
~I.S.~

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 10:41:51 PM »
I know that.  But it fails to make clear what would be criminalized.  Are you criminalizing people's being attracted to the same sex?  If so, then I disagree.  Or are you criminalizing their actually sleeping with people of the same sex?  If so, then... well, I'm not sure where I stand, but I don't think it would necessarily be completely unreasonable.  And the way it's worded... "Homosexuals are no better than criminals"... makes it seem as though homosexuality can be a homosexual's only defining trait.  Maybe the homosexual in question is a decent guy who struggles with that one vice.  A person doing a bad thing does not make him a "bad*" person.

*"Bad" meaning completely evil in the eyes of his fellow man; in the eyes of God, everyone is born a "bad" person.

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 10:44:31 PM »
2.6333 repeating.

What I got from this was "Fear and follow every order of your elders! If they are absent, Fear and follow every order of the Government! Then Fear and follow every order of God! FEAR! Also gay people are icky."
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 10:55:32 PM »
Oh, so you DO think what goes on in people's bedrooms is your, and the government's business.

In that case, we will NEVER see eye to eye on this, and I'll refrain from saying what I really think. Carry on.

EDIT: Ok, I have one comment, and I'm trying to post this from a point of view you are used to: By actually regulating and criminalising an act you see as an affront to God, you are saying that you know better than God what should be allowed in society. It's not your job to sort people out -- it's His.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:57:51 PM by Insane Steve »
~I.S.~

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 11:02:07 PM »
Oh, so you DO think what goes on in people's bedrooms is your, and the government's business.
Did I not say that I'm not sure where I stand regarding that aspect of the issue?

EDIT: Ok, I have one comment, and I'm trying to post this from a point of view you are used to: By actually regulating and criminalising an act you see as an affront to God, you are saying that you know better than God what should be allowed in society. It's not your job to sort people out -- it's His.
By regulating and criminalizing an act that is an affront to God, we're doing what he told us to do.  I'm pretty sure he didn't tell us to do nothing about it.  And have you considered that our penalizing their actions is his method of "sorting them out"?  Just because he's not smiting them with a lightning bolt where they stand doesn't mean he's not passing judgment.

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 11:02:48 PM »
You haven't been around, Insane Steve, so you probably don't know but you already described Turtlekid1 in your earlier post: "either very religious (and not in the good, self-improving way, but in the "I'm going to use religion to judge everyone different from me" way), a bigot, or a sociopath who thinks it should be illegal to disagree with him on social issues".

My favourite of his quotes is the time he told us he'd have no qualms with brutally murdering us all if he ever stopped believing in God.

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 11:05:20 PM »
Or are you criminalizing their actually sleeping with people of the same sex?  If so, then... well, I'm not sure where I stand, but I don't think it would necessarily be completely unreasonable.

According to John Stuart Mill, the government has no right to infringe upon our autonomy. I pretty much agree with this because we're cognitively separated from one another. If I want to have sex with another man, I should be free to do so because I'm the only one who knows what's best for me. It doesn't infringe upon your right to have sex with a woman, and it certainly doesn't harm your autonomy in any conceivable way.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:39:21 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Print