Print

Author Topic: Pokemon Topic  (Read 368960 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #945 on: March 16, 2013, 05:47:47 PM »
I really love Triples and the World tournament has finally given me somewhere I can actually test what works in them.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #946 on: March 16, 2013, 07:03:31 PM »
My main issue with Triples is how so few moves can hit non-adjacent foes.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #947 on: March 21, 2013, 02:08:06 PM »
I think enough do. The whole deal is/can be deciding who is in the middle because they can hit anyone, but can be hit by anyone. Do you put in a sweeper who can take out everything with a move like Eruption or Earthquake, or do you put a bulky support in the middle to cover your sides?

I've been creating a Moxie Earthquake sweeping machine for Triples. The center is a Krookodile (C.Blackeye) and the sides are Electabuzz (BROW) and, for now, Togekiss (Airplane!). On the first turn, Airplane! uses Tailwind, C.Blackeye uses Protect and BROW uses Magnet Rise, and on the second both Airplane! and BROW use Follow Me while C.Blackeye uses Earthquake; on the first turn it's usually not enough to OHKO anything, and he's not invested in defenses at all, so Follow Mes are important to protect him. Eviolite turns Electabuzz surprisingly bulky. After two turns of doing this, C.Blackeye will more than likely have KO'd some things and will have Moxie boosting his Attack, one stage per KO; a triple KO gives him 250% power just like that. No need for a Choice Scarf for Speed or a Choice Band for power: a Life Orb gives him a little extra boost while also allowing the use of Rock Slide or Crunch when it's a better option than Earthquake.

I was using a Whimsicott (Booty) to set up Tailwind with Prankster priority before the Togekiss, but his inability to learn Follow Me left one side free to attack C.Blackeye on that crucial second turn. But a Worry Seed, also prioritized by Prankster, means that he can disable Levitating opponents before C.Blackeye's Earthquake, while avoiding the Earthquake itself by way of an Air Balloon. He's still on the team and can contribute if one of the Follow Me users gets KO'd, usually Airplane!, because Airplane! is faster than BROW which means she takes attacks from the middle opponent when both use Follow Me. And she's less bulky and can't nullify her weaknesses like BROW can.

Initially, Aqua Jet and Ice Shard were of some concern, but Follow Me takes priority over those.

So this is just one thing, revolving entirely around making one ability as useful as possible, and I came up with it all on my own and I am a moron. Imagine what else you can do. Gastro Acid works on Slaking...

edit and

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 03:11:02 PM by BP »
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #948 on: March 22, 2013, 11:18:43 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMgGowLgb_0" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMgGowLgb_0</a>

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #949 on: March 23, 2013, 12:48:19 AM »
I think I might be more tired of gritty reboot parodies than I am of actual gritty reboots. :|

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #950 on: April 26, 2013, 11:27:26 PM »
In Black and White 2 there is a place called Join Avenue. It's basically a shopping mall that is completely empty when you get there the first time. Naturally, the owner decides to make you completely responsible for it on the spot.

You invite passersby (NPCs who spawn daily, or other players you have traded or battled with) to open shops there, or recommend them to visit the shops that are already there to rank them up, unlocking buyable things you can't get anywhere else in the game. Some of the types of shops are fighting rings and sandwich shops where, after enough ranks, you can pay to level up your Pokémon.

I have three Dojos ranked 8, 6 and 5. I also have one Cafe ranked 9. Altogether I can buy 17 level-ups a day this way, and when my Cafe hits rank 10 I'll unlock another 8 all at once. My lesser Dojos unlock another 3 each at rank 8 and they'll all get another 4 at rank 10. If I'm counting right, I'll be able to buy 43 level-ups a day at the end.

When my shops were ranked lower and I only could buy 9 a day, I added up the differences among all my battling Pokémon from 100 and determined that at that rate, if I made sure to go to Join Avenue every day, it would take until October to get them all to level 100; right before X and Y come out. I'll be done long before then now due to the rank-ups.

Where do I get the money to pay for this? The Wing items found in the shadows on bridges. They spawn like mad and can be sold for 1500 each.

I am not asking myself any questions of whether this is video game morally acceptable.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 12:52:12 PM by BP »
It's YOUR problem!

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #951 on: April 27, 2013, 06:48:12 PM »
Considering how many hours I wasted in Diamond to get dozens of pokémon to level 100, Join Avenue is one feature I wholeheartedly approve of.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #952 on: April 28, 2013, 04:59:35 AM »
I remember playing LeafGreen, where the Elite Four would become vastly more powerful after beating them the first time. They didn't do that in Diamond, and the result was painful.

« Reply #953 on: April 28, 2013, 02:44:02 PM »
Platinum was a bit better in that regard.

I got Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity last month. It's not bad, though the lack of older Pokemon is a letdown.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #954 on: April 28, 2013, 06:09:15 PM »
I like gen 5's additions a lot, so that doesn't bother me all that much. The tiny tiny player character choice pool does. I'm gonna wait until it's known whether or not there will be an updated version like Explorers of Sky.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #955 on: May 13, 2013, 10:50:46 PM »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #956 on: May 14, 2013, 03:50:08 PM »
"New" is a generous term.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #957 on: May 14, 2013, 04:27:12 PM »

First thing that crossed my mind.

« Reply #958 on: May 14, 2013, 07:56:16 PM »
I don't see it. There could be a vague connection, maybe.. Maybe they'll be in the same evo line..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #959 on: May 14, 2013, 08:00:13 PM »
They aren't (bottom is Normal/Electric), but I initially thought it was Mawile's prevo.

Print