Print

Author Topic: Paper Mario 3DS images  (Read 48780 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #135 on: November 30, 2012, 08:02:55 PM »
I kinda get the impression that the only experience Miyamoto has ever really had with Paper Mario (or at least the only one he cares about) is seeing that concept art picture up there.

I mean, you'd think he'd get clued in at some level considering the first game was called "Mario Story" in Japan, but I guess not.

EVERYONE STOP PLAYING
Not gonna work:

Tanabe: After release, you will either find it to be fun or you won't. After you buy and play it, I'd like to know people's impressions about this game. If you say it's fun, then I want to make another one. I hope you enjoy it!

If you tell Tanabe you liked Sticker Star, he will make you another Sticker Star. If you tell him you did not like it, he will not make any more Paper Marios.

Our protest needs nuance.

I seriously want to know how they went about figuring that less than 1% of people cared about the story in SPM. A Club Nintendo survey? Was that only in Japan, or did it include America and Europe too? Was there even a question about the plot in the survey, or was it just based on whether they said something about the plot in the comments section?

I don't remember what I said in the registration survey for SPM, but there's a good chance I did mention Flipping without mentioning the plot (which I loved), for two reasons:

- I hadn't finished the game yet
- It's a Paper Mario game, of course it has a good plot. Like duh. Flipping is a new thing, that calls for comment.

I guess we all need to be better about mentioning all the specific things we like in Club Nintendo surveys, no matter how obvious they seem.

Flipping really wasn't that fun, anyway. Lots more fun (and with more consistent logic) than paperization, though.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #136 on: November 30, 2012, 09:18:03 PM »
I'd have enjoyed flipping more if it weren't timed.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #137 on: November 30, 2012, 09:49:07 PM »
SPM's plot was cliche and disconnected from the characters. There's not a lot of reason for you, as Mario, to personally give a crap about what's going on. Yeah, worlds are ending and that's bad. There's a love story involving your acquaintance who doesn't have a face. But it still feels like you're an observer. A yes-man completing objectives for other people to beat the game. The chapter that stands out from that the most was probably 7, because Luvbi and her family did a better job of being relatable than anyone else in the game. Squirps and Merlee get honorable mention.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #138 on: November 30, 2012, 10:31:10 PM »
Of course, even if we assume that less than 1% of people liked SPM's plot, the solution is still not "have no plot." That's the same logic as "I studied for the midterm for five minutes and I failed. Obviously, studying hurts my score, so for the finals I won't study at all."
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

CrossEyed7

« Reply #139 on: November 30, 2012, 11:31:23 PM »
Quote from: Miyamoto
just a port

« Reply #140 on: November 30, 2012, 11:47:10 PM »
Hm, I'm fairly certain they knew PM:TTYD was a hit in all departments, including story, so surely they didn't think it would hurt them to emulate it a little bit?

I mean, I like what they did with Sticker Star, but they don't need to repeat the "new formula." I thought Sticker Star was odd in comparison, but I thought that was just the quirk of the title; is it supposed to be a sign of things to come?
I'm a horrible person.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #141 on: December 01, 2012, 01:19:41 AM »
The guys in that interview said Sticker Star was gonna be a lot like TTYD, but then Miyamoto stepped in.

« Reply #142 on: December 01, 2012, 07:41:55 AM »
...And that was when the Mario fanbase turned into the Minecraft fanbase.
VVVERExSTFJCQVM=

CrossEyed7

« Reply #143 on: December 10, 2012, 05:38:52 PM »
"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world."

"Personally I think all we need is to have an objective to win the boss battle at the end of the game. I didn't think we necessarily needed a lengthy story like in an RPG."

"Miyamoto-san played the prototype and said it was just a port of the GC version."

Miyamoto made Super Mario Galaxy 2. Just two years after the first Galaxy came out, he made a whole nother game that was the same thing as Galaxy 1, but more so. All the same graphics and the same moves and the same areas and most of the same gimmicks, plus tons of new ones.

So... what if someone had come in during the development of Galaxy 2 and been Miyamoto's Miyamoto?

"This is just a port of the first game."

"Jumping is fun enough on its own. It's fine without powerups and Yoshi and swinging vines and the drill thing, so do we really need them?"

"All we need is to have an objective to win the boss battle at the end of the game. We don't necessarily need lots of interesting and varied gameplay gimmicks like in a platformer."

"As much as possible, complete it without using the A button, the B trigger, the motion controls, or the nunchuk, using only buttons that would be on a Famicom controller."

And then whatever came out of that got released as Super Mario Galaxy 2, and people bought it expecting a sequel to Super Mario Galaxy.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #144 on: December 14, 2012, 06:17:10 AM »
At first I thought that analogy was bad because it's completely unfair, as those changes would make SMG2 basically nothing. But on closer inspection... putting those conditions on SMG2 almost pretty much exactly gives you SM3DL. And SM3DL is awesome.

So it's still a bad analogy!
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #145 on: December 16, 2012, 11:07:52 AM »
CE7's post is a new kind of reductio ad absurdum. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #146 on: December 26, 2012, 01:01:42 PM »
I got this game yesterday, and for the most part I don't mind the new direction they took. They do all sorts of funny and interesting things with stickers. I would've preferred if there was a leveling system though since I really have no incentive to fight enemies when I have a full sticker album and a substantial amount of coins. The secrets and puzzles are harder to figure out than in the previous games.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #147 on: December 31, 2012, 01:02:11 AM »
Update (sorry for the double post):

I'm pretty much done with the game and it's been a blast so far. The formula used in the first two games was perfected in TTYD and I'm okay with them not touching it again. I would definitely like to see another Paper Mario in the style of Sticker Star, but this time I want original characters like the other games and several other features including the following:

-Some of the event battles were brilliant puzzles (putting the Chain Chomp to sleep and running from battle to release it); keep them in the next one!
-Being able to target the enemy you want to attack
-Some sort of experience points and stats to increase on level up
-More actions in battle, including the ability to do nothing or defend for a turn
-A better indication of whether enemies are able to dodge attacks or not (those Wiggler pieces were annoying)
-The ability to use some stickers, like Mushroom Stickers, outside of battle
-A slightly longer game!

Overall, I greatly enjoyed Sticker Star...even more than I thought I would. You can tell they really put a lot of thought and effort into the game, and the results show.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2012, 08:12:22 PM »
My girlfriend bought me Sticker Star as my Christmas present. Here's an honest review. It's long. There aren't 'spoilers' or whatever in it, and anything I mention has already been plastered all over this thread anyway.

While I initially heard the whole "Miyamoto stepped in and ruined everything" thing (and frankly believed it 100%), I was in for an honest surprise. The game is great. The dialogue is wholly dry and sarcastic as you'd typically expect from something like the Mario & Luigi series. The music is fantastic, and the jazz motif is something you can groove to. This is one of those rare soundtracks where I found no song that just sounded out of place and stupid, or worse, childish (...Toad's Expedition theme from SMG, anyone?) So, having great music all around just brings the game a few notches higher for me.

Yes, this game, while borrowing elements from Mario RPG games of years past, of course, returns to Mushroom Kingdom basics, so think of it as a successor of sorts to the original Paper Mario. Keep in mind, this is a bite-sized RPG adventure; a "lite" Paper Mario, if you will. I clocked in at 19 hours and 19 minutes from start to finish while the usual benchmark for typical RPGs seems to be around 40 hours. You feel like you're getting deeper and deeper into the game then you suddenly realize that it's coming to a close.

There are some quirks: The sequential battle system that Kimimaru, for some reason, put spoiler tags around in his post is kind of screwy. Not being able to choose sort of affects the flow, and if you have the opportunity to use more than one sticker, it will make the order you attack the enemies in sequential (e.g. the battle sticker you have in the second slot will always attack the second enemy in line regardless of if your first sticker killed the first enemy in line or not. Same for third sticker/third enemy in line). Maybe the developers thought that assigning different stickers to different enemies during battle would be too confusing.

Thing Stickers, as much as they were shown off, were implemented weakly which sucks considering that was supposed to be the big thing about Sticker Star. There are points where a Thing sticker is necessary to advance and you have no idea which one you're supposed to use. If you use the wrong one during Paperization, well, sucks to be you because you will lose it. You also get no hints as to which ones are useful in boss battles or anything like that. Which brings me on to my final point...

Kersti (your Sticker partner or whoever) is the most useless freaking sidekick I've ever seen in a Mario RPG. She is the I AM ERROR of the Mario RPG world. She never has location-specific information on hand, ever. She also never has advice on puzzles, what Things might be useful, and no info about environments, where you are, or any hints on what you should be doing next if you're stuck. When you summon her she spits out some quip, and very rarely do you see an option to get more advice, which, more often than not, is incredibly generalized. I've gone through entire worlds where she says the same couple lines over and over and doesn't offer advice.

Besides these few flaws, I believe the game is deserving of the 8.3/10 IGN gave it. I'd go as far as to give it an 8.5. Just remember that it's almost like Mario 3D Land. Everyone coming off Mario Galaxy 2 was thinking, "MAN IT'S GONNA BE LIKE GALAXY 3DS," but while it was great, it couldn't quite live up to the same amount of awesomeness the Galaxy games brought us because they were limited by the 3DS' capabilities. So, if you can keep in mind, like I was saying, that it's a bite-sized, portable version of past Paper Mario games and look past its flaws, you'll have a lot of fun with this one.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #149 on: December 31, 2012, 09:47:48 PM »
[Post]

How much did Nintendo pay you to write that?

But really, I guess I expected SS to right all of SPM's wrongs.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Print