Print

Author Topic: The most annoying level  (Read 20752 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2010, 01:03:08 PM »
I would've preferred their original plan of having like, twice as many dungeons as what actually ended up in the game, before they were screwed by deadlines.

Triforce collection was tolerable, but if you're nitpicky about 100% completion, like me, you'll know how much of a pain it is to complete the map, the sea charts, and especially the Pictographs.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2010, 01:42:04 PM »
SFA didn't really have that bad of acting.

I actually really, really liked Fox's voice. And Tricky's voice fit him quite well, although he was a tad annoying at times.

Also, Mega Man Powered Up featured some of the most aggravating challenges. 100 in all. I'm not stupid enough to throw my equipment, but boy oh boy did I feel like breaking my PSP in two sometimes.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2010, 03:37:16 PM »
SFA didn't really have that bad of acting. I guess Slippy and Peppy were a bit off, but Fox and Krystal were fine. Fox's voice was especially kickin' and I wish they could have kept Steve Malpass around to do it. But he was Rare. sigh
Oh, the voices matched the characters just fine--it's the quality of the acting (and those accents...) that was, at times, seriously lacking. But hey, it's not like it was set up to be the most epic game ever.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2010, 03:48:50 PM »
I was referring to the acting, sir.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2010, 07:02:08 PM »
The only thing I remember hating about SFA was that "General Scales" and "Dinosaur Planet" were in English even in Saurian dialogue.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

cosmic_c

• EAGLES SCREAM!
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2010, 03:30:22 PM »
I found an online list of the top 15 most annoying levels.

See what you think.

15. Top Gun: EVERY LEVEL
14. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time: Water Temple
13. Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare: All Ghillied Up
12. Gunstar Heroes: Mine Cart Level
11. Mega Man 9: Dr. Wily’s Castle
10. Madden ’04: Atlanta Falcons
9. Contra: Waterfall
8. Street Fighter IV: Seth
7. Super Mario World: Tubular
6. GuitarHero 3: Through the Fire and the Flames
5. MarioKart: Rainbow Road
4. Mike Tyson’s Punchout!: Mike Tyson
3. StarFox 64: MacBeth/Titania
2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Dam Water Level
1. Battle Toads: Turbo Tunnel

http://www.dorkly.com/article/1622/the-15-most-annoying-levels-in-video-game-history
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:32:23 PM by cosmic_c »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2010, 04:12:36 PM »
The only one of those I've experienced firsthand is Tubular.  And that was plenty annoying.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2010, 04:12:46 PM »
So far, I've experienced 14, 7, 6, 5, and 1.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2010, 04:17:47 PM »
Let's see:

15. Nope. Poor programming doesn't warrant a spot on a "most annoying games" list.
14. Already discussed, and really not that bad.
13. I've not played it myself, but...what the hell? With their justification for it, you could replace it with pretty much any stealth level in any non-stealth-based game.
12. Nope. (Fun fact: there are a couple of weapon combinations that quite easily let you cheese your way through the original Gunstar Heroes. Gunstar Super Heroes is a far harder game.)
11. Again, the justification here is what kills it; in this case, the writer is a complete ***** and is so reliant on modern features that he can't play a game designed around not having those features.
10. ...What?
9. Nope. In reality, Contra's difficulty is far lower than most people would have you think, so can we please stop bringing it up as a hard game?
8. This person has never played an SNK fighting game.
7. Nope. Learn to play.
6. Bringing up the fallback "this is stupid hard" level discredits anything that might've been accurate from this list. The only thing that would've been worse would be bringing up Mushihime-sama Futari's true last boss.
5. Nope. Learn to play.
4. Still a memorizer.
3. Haven't played it, but another example of the justification not actually having to do with anything aside from the author thinking variety is a bad thing.
2. Again, poor programming doesn't warrant a spot.
1. See above.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2010, 05:29:03 PM »
Warp how have you not played SF64? Anyway no that level is totally not hard or annoying at all.
This reads more like a list of "these games are awesome because you actually need to be good" but throws in curveballs like Madden?!?!?!? and Call of Duty?!?!?!? to make me ultimately say "what the"
Most of this stuff isn't annoying at all. Does the author know what annoying is?
What the heck is pressure-sensitive jumping? I've never even played a game with that. Mega Man has always had variable jump height and still does, if that's what he thinks he means. I know some games don't, and those can be slightly annoying I suppose. Maybe he just didn't play any of these games.

Oh and that screenshot shows MK64's Rainbow Road, you know, one of the ones with guardrails.
That was a joke.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2010, 05:47:57 PM »
And that's also not a screenshot of "Through The Fire and Flames" but actually "One"

« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2010, 06:00:48 PM »
Ooh yeah, SFIV Seth was really really annoying. Most of the other stuff isn't annoying at all, though. Seriously, Through the Fire and Flames? Mario Kart? SF64? Easy peasy and fun to play.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2010, 06:11:03 PM »
Chupperson, I never owned an N64 during its heyday, and all my friends owned PlayStations. I own an N64 now but don't have that game, and it hasn't really been a high priority (but I'll definitely play it on 3DS).

I'm guessing "pressure-sensitive jumping" means the analog buttons make variable jump height easier for players who aren't smart enough to know how to let go of buttons early.

Seth might be annoying, but that goes for most fighting games' final bosses (restating my earlier complaints about Jedah and Dust of Osiris here), and again, SNK fighting game bosses are the worst.

cosmic_c

• EAGLES SCREAM!
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2010, 10:25:55 AM »
Chupperson, I never owned an N64 during its heyday, and all my friends owned PlayStations. I own an N64 now but don't have that game, and it hasn't really been a high priority (but I'll definitely play it on 3DS).

I'm guessing "pressure-sensitive jumping" means the analog buttons make variable jump height easier for players who aren't smart enough to know how to let go of buttons early.

Seth might be annoying, but that goes for most fighting games' final bosses (restating my earlier complaints about Jedah and Dust of Osiris here), and again, SNK fighting game bosses are the worst.
Sheesh.. knid of prissy talking ain't it.

« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2010, 01:04:59 PM »
6. GuitarHero 3: Through the Fire and the Flames
I actually beat that song about a year ago on expert. And believe me, it wasn't easy.
This bridge - extends from Nebraska to CANADA!

Print