Print

Author Topic: The Pointless Topic!  (Read 2494081 times)

« Reply #10395 on: December 25, 2009, 11:27:52 PM »
A college degree requires some number of credits to obtain (plus getting said credits in a reasonable time period, I believe). Each course is a certain number of credits, in my case usually 5. Some courses you'll have to take to fulfill core requirements. For the rest, there will be some guidelines like "take X humanities courses" or "no more than Y electives". An elective is any course you want. As soon as you've gotten enough credits and fulfill whatever other course requirements are needed (such as a capstone project), you've got the degree. This is why it's highly recommended to talk with an advisor at the beginning of the year to help plan out what courses you want to take and when.

Technically you can take any number of courses per quarter (or semester), maybe even skip a quarter. But financial aid requires you to constantly make "satisfactory progress" towards your degree in order to remain eligible, so for the most part you'll be attending every quarter at least half-time. A "quarter" is, obviously, a fourth of a year, so there's four quarters in one year. Where I went to university, there's no classes during Summer Quarter (well, there are, but it's very slim pickings). It's a popular time to do the capstone project since financial aid isn't awarded for summer unless you apply for it. I'm not sure what a semester is.

I'm not sure exactly how many credits is "half-time". Since most courses are 5 credits, I think 10 credits is half-time. That means you can get away with two courses per quarter (probably a good idea if you already have a job at the same time). But then it will take longer to get your degree.

So the most popular choice is to attend full-time, which is at least 15 credits (three classes) per quarter. If you take 15 credits per quarter, then you can finish your degree in or under two years.

The average length of a class is 2 hours. And a class can be two days a week, three days a week, or (rarely) more. So if you took three classes, all two days a week, you're looking at 12 hours of class time per week. But of course, study time and homework time takes longer and adds onto it.

Piece of advice: Make good use of your advisor and teachers. If you don't understand something, ask them. Set up an appointment or see them during office hours. So often I kept myself in the dark about not understanding some problem because I thought "I have the book, I have the notes, I should be able to get this." If you need help, get it before it's too late. Study groups also help.

I guess you can try one of the "Contact Us" options (like e-mail) on the website. I'm not holding my breath that they'll answer anytime soon, but what have you got to lose?

...oh, and if there's a time period between when you register for classes and when classes start, run to the college bookstore or hop onto the college bookstore website or Amazon.com to get your books early. The bookstore on campus is always packed with people the few days before class. At my university bookstore, they'll let you request a book if it's not in stock and then they'll contact you to pick up your reserved book once it comes in. Some classes won't need the textbooks during the first few days (or they'll allow you to glance at someone else's copy), but others will. Also, keep the book receipts and keep them in their plastic if applicable. There are rare cases where the required textbooks (or edition, rather) will change on you the very day class actually starts. Wait until you get the class syllabus before ripping open the plastic.
You didn't say wot wot.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #10396 on: December 26, 2009, 12:57:09 AM »
Mine's a bit different. My classes at Messiah College are pretty much all 3 credits, except for a few that are 4, and gym classes, which are 1. A 3-credit class is either 1 hour on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday or 90 minutes on Tuesday and Thursday -- or, for a few, a full 3-hour class on one night a week. At Temple University, it's split a little more evenly between 3 and 4 credit classes, along with some 2s and 5s, and more variance in the schedules (last semester, all my classes were 4-hour once-a-week classes during the day). Full-time is 12 credits, which is the minimum requirement for most financial aid purposes. Most people take 15 credits in the fall and 18 (the limit, if you don't want to pay extra) in the spring -- if you take a 3-credit class in January (J-term), it's the same course load as fall for the rest of the semester. Some people also take classes in May or over the summer. The year is divided up into two semesters (about 4 months each -- think your normal school year split in half at Christmas) at both Messiah and Temple and I think that's pretty standard.

I don't know how different Canada is, though.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #10397 on: December 28, 2009, 02:37:34 PM »
Wow... Thanks alot for the input! I'll look a bit further into things.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10398 on: December 29, 2009, 07:49:56 AM »
I haven't watched this yet, but it looks interesting...ish.

Also, old picture, but...

Now that's how you interview a booth babe.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #10399 on: December 29, 2009, 01:56:57 PM »
I'm posting this from my PS3 browser.  Urgh, it takes forever to type with this controller.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10400 on: December 29, 2009, 02:10:21 PM »
Well, if the Wii's got the PS3 beat at one thing, it's the ease with which the browser can be used. Then again, it runs out of flash memory on a frustrating basis. In any case,, you can use USB keyboards for it and the PS3 (I saw some mini-keyboard for the PS3 at K-Mart a week or so ago and I was enticed until I saw it was, like, $30).

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #10401 on: December 31, 2009, 11:02:54 PM »
First pointless post of the decade!
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #10402 on: January 01, 2010, 12:50:44 AM »
You know, 2010's ADVANCED Poster Awards should encapsulate the decade, and therefore for Fungi Forums' entire history. Just a suggestion.

« Reply #10403 on: January 01, 2010, 02:40:02 AM »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #10404 on: January 01, 2010, 02:41:47 AM »

Another potentially embarrasing question that's irked me for years: What purpose do Hit Points serve in RPGs? Aside from games like Paper Mario in which attacks deal a set amount of damage, doesn't a Defense stat render HP obsolete?
Assume that we have two characters in a generic RPG whose stats are identical in every imaginable way, except that one has twice the max HP of the other. For simplicity's sake, let's say that Alice has 2000 HP and Bob has 4000. Since their Defense is the same, an attack causing about 1500 damage to Alice would cause around 3000 to Bob, correct? Then, what are Hit Points useful for other than fixed-damage attacks?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #10405 on: January 01, 2010, 02:58:53 AM »
99% of JRPG attacks are fixed-damage attacks; that is, they do a predetermined amount of damage, which is usually then reduced by way of some formula involving the target's defense to figure out the final damage total. The only time a target's HP is a factor in how much damage it takes is when an attack like Gravity is used. Therefore, more HP means a target can take more hits.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10406 on: January 01, 2010, 01:01:36 PM »

« Reply #10407 on: January 01, 2010, 02:44:49 PM »
I have trouble believing that SM64 was beaten out by the likes of SMB2J, but graphs found on the internet never lie, so yeah.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10408 on: January 01, 2010, 08:28:55 PM »
What a surprise--a Chinese Mario Galaxy rip-off. (okay, the page is Italian... that's what I get for copy-pasting the source and not the GoNintendo article).

It was a dream... or was it?

Print