Poll

Which prize is better?

Doc Louis's Punch-Out!!
Mario Hat
Print

Author Topic: The Platinum Problem  (Read 23724 times)

« on: July 14, 2009, 12:42:52 PM »
The Club Nintendo Elite Status Rewards have been announced. Golds simply get a desk calender, but Platinums have the task of choosing between two prizes: a standalone downloadable Punch-Out!! fight against Doc Louis or a wearable Mario hat.

Which do you think is the better choice?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 12:53:20 PM »
Get the hat.  It's... a Mario hat.  How long have Mario fans been waiting for that?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 01:04:29 PM »
I came into this thread expecting some long tirade against the Pokémon series, completely forgetting a discussion that just happened in the chatroom this morning about the rewards.

I think the best solution would be to get the hat, then find someone who went with the game and play it on their Wii.

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 01:06:34 PM »
Something that takes up Wii memory or something that will be more memorable. Hmm..

Go with the hat.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 01:12:19 PM »
I went with Doc Louis's Punch-Out!!  The hat was in Japan's Club Nintendo last year and is still to be found on sites like eBay.  I expect even more (from North America) in auctions soon.  The Wiiware game, on the other hand, is exclusive.  Still, it's essential a short demo.  A lot of people were hoping for SNES Wii controllers, but I already imported the Super Famicom controller. A SMG soundtrack would have been nice though it was also available in Japan.  It seems Japan always gets the good stuff, but at least I don't live in the red-headed-step-child of the video game industry otherwise knows as Europe.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 01:38:08 PM »
Dude, the fight, all the way. A Mario hat is just a one-off novelty item that will get you laughed to pieces if you ever actually wear it in front of respectable company, whereas the Doc Lois fight is something you can actually experience, if only for a little while.
every

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 01:46:31 PM »
Go with the game, Little Matt.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 02:05:02 PM »
I'm going with the hat. It ought to go well with the Mario costume that I made a couple of years back. Also, I lack a Wii and have little to no interest in Punch Out anyway.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 02:40:33 PM »
I'd reccomend the cap, although this advice comes from a die-hard Mario fan with no genuine interest in Punch-Out. It could be hard to justify getting something that's akin to a single-level game demo instead of an actual article of collectible Nintendo paraphernalia.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 03:29:32 PM »
One more fight to Punch-Out!! is as close to serious downloadable content Nintendo's gone thus far. And I bet the hat is really fake-looking and -feeling.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 03:38:30 PM »
Fighting Doc Louis is totally the best option here.
No! I don't want that!

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 03:40:35 PM »
Yeah, I was hoping for an SNES Wii controller myself.

Between the two choices, I'm on the fence as well. I love me some Punch Out and the number of times I've tried to punch Doc with the cursor would be impossible to count, but then... Mario Hat. But Luigison makes a good point, and while I don't personally care enough to ebay the Mario hat, that option would always exist where as the Punch Out fight would probably be more difficult to come across.

Decisions, decisions.

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 06:56:10 PM »
What Jim said, fighting Doc Brown. I don't wear hats, so a Mario hat gets a big meh from me. Might be a different story if there was a good Yoshi doll, though.

I remember an IGN article saying that if you think the prizes will be good, go ahead and gather as many points as you can before they're reset for next year. Otherwise, lay off and let it reset so you can quickly gather points for next year. I haven't read much about Club Nintendo in America, but it seems stupid that all your hard work can go away once a certain date hits.

Although I never participated in Super Power Stamps, I wish those would come back. Big catalog to choose from, buy whatever you want once you had enough, no resetting of points, and I just thought those physical stamps were cool. I forget how you got the stamps, I think it was a lousy process (I'd prefer the Club Nintendo approach of doing surveys), but whatever. I even forget if you were ever able to buy those items with cash... I think you could, like there'd be a cash value and alternately a number of stamps.

I'm mainly just grousing that the stuff I saw in the Nintendo catalog was never as cool as what Japan got with their Club Nintendo. And from the looks of things, America still has yet to catch up. But I did like that Mario SMB2 wallet...
You didn't say wot wot.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 10:09:11 PM »
I'd definitely choose the exclusive rare gaming experience, even if it is just a game add-on type situation. If the Mario hat was actually a hat (not sure what those are called) that was read and had an M on it instead of a hat shaped plushie than I might be tempted.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 10:14:30 PM »
Dude, it is a real hat.

Print