Print

Author Topic: Let's review...  (Read 21659 times)

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 03:22:37 PM »
And besides, strictly speaking about gameplay, Godhand was awful.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 03:29:42 PM »
I feel subconsciously pressured to buy that game.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 04:49:50 PM »
A 3 out of 10 for all those games is kinda harsh, unless they actually deserved it. Also, rating a demo isn't really fair since the rest of the game can prove to be good even though the portion they give you may not.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 06:46:07 PM »
content of this thread ->             ________________

heads of people in this thread -> ________________
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 08:55:59 PM »
This is my video game review of Dong Dong Never Die for the Microsoft Windows. My review for this game is bittersweet, so don't hate me for trashing it through most of the review. Also, this review contains ***SPOILARS***. You, my friend, have been warned. Let's start.

Dong Dong Never Die is a Chinese freeware 2D fighting game.

In 2009 there was a big fighting tournament in China, but then a bunch of fighters disappeared before the finals. All clues pointed to a mysterious "Biochemistry Man." So policeman Dongdong went undercover as a fighter to try to unravel this mystery.

The game has twenty-four playable fighters; similar to the older Mortal Kombat games, most of them are digitized actors (two, a stick-figure training dummy and Mario, are ordinary CG). Their animations are for the most part incredibly fluid, and the game runs very smoothly.

Much of the game pays homage to, well, everything. One character's moveset is ripped straight from Guile (along with having a Chinese replica of Guile's stage, complete with music). Another is an Iori clone (just for Mr. Wiggles). A third is a direct copy of Ryu, complete with voiceclips. And Mario has Akuma's moveset. There's also an Asian Terminator and an Asian Michael Jackson. And the stage music is all over the place - there's music from works as different as Hokuto no Ken and Wii Sports in there.

The only problem is, well, the game's balance is terrible. Pretty much everyone has some sort of infinite combo, and your starting special gauge is based on which character you pick, so some characters are at a distinct advantage from the start. And, bafflingly, special gauges don't stop filling during supers (though combo damage degrades properly, at least).

But you won't care because it's hilarious and loads of fun. And it has netplay. And did I mention it's free?

I give this game a 3 out of 10.

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 09:35:08 PM »
This is my video game review of Mighty Switch Force! for the Nintendo 3DS. My review for this game is bittersweet, so don't hate me for trashing it through most of the review. Also, this review contains ***SPOILARS***. You, my friend, have been warned. Let's start.

This is the first WayForward game on 3DS and worth a look if the system's currently meager library is leaving you hungry. It's an action-puzzler where you jump and shoot through a series of small levels, collecting five criminals and then getting to your robot suit to end the level. You can also challenge yourself with the extremely demanding par times for each stage, which require a near-perfect run. The game's main gimmick is the titular switching where you press a button to protrude or recess platforms into and out of the gameplay layer to jump on and stuff. Normal blocks smash you or enemies if they pop out into you while a different type of block shoots you like a DK barrel cannon. There are also colored blocks that don't switch with the rest as long as you're touching a block of that color.

The graphics are great-looking crisp pixel art with smooth animation and WayForward's trademark E-rated-but-sexy art style. The music is PIMP SUPREME and probably the best thing about the game. It sounds like Sonic the Hedgehog dubstep.

So try this if you're bored of your 3DS games. It screams its name on the title screen and is probably the best eShop game out there besides the VVVVVV port but that's cheating.

I give this game a 3 out of 10.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCkoI4PGZNk" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCkoI4PGZNk</a>

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 02:54:22 PM »
The best game gets a 3/10.  That's sad.  Have you played Pushmo?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 03:48:43 PM »
I'm seeing a pattern here

You're supposed to
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 04:24:07 PM »
I'm seeing a pattern here

You're supposed to
D'oh!
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 08:23:45 PM »
That's the joke, methinks
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 08:31:22 PM »
content of this thread ->             ________________

heads of people in this thread -> ________________
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 11:02:28 PM »
Is LD trying to make a point about bothering to read the entire review instead of just the game's score? I really can't tell at this point.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 03:49:03 PM »
Is LD trying to make a point about bothering to read the entire review instead of just the game's score? I really can't tell at this point.
I can.  Now.  When reading it the first time I was wondering why he said he'd trash the game, but the review seemed almost glowing to me.  Now that I see the joke of this thread I realize he purposely did it that way.  Sorry to ruin the joke guys.  In my defense I was catching up from the holidays and reading a dozen or so new posts without paying attention to the threads. 

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 07:30:46 PM »
Hey LD, since you liked the soundtrack for Mighty Switch Force, why not throw ten bucks at the second Indie Game Music Bundle to get that soundtrack and several other albums?

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2012, 12:15:35 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKZCbESgJf8" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKZCbESgJf8</a>.

Print