Print

Author Topic: Graffiti Ruins Mario Art  (Read 19903 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: May 08, 2008, 02:56:56 PM »

What a shame. Look at that wall; it was a boring slice of vertical concrete boxcar until one brave gamer gave it life. Then, someone came and tagged. When will people learn the fine line between art and vandalism?

In all seriousness, I can't tell if the Mario art was meant to incorporate the ghetto-tag, but it still looks cool!

Link: kotaku.com

Thanks Louis!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 03:49:43 PM by Super-Jesse »
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »
Well, it is on a wall, so you do have to represent and put some graffiti on it too! I think it looks good. And It's not going over anything either.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 03:19:17 PM »
That looks awesome.
Ditto used Machop!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 03:35:43 PM »
In all seriousness, I can't tell if the Mario art was meant to incorporate the ghetto-tag, but it still looks cool!
It is. Look more closely at them.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 03:50:04 PM »
It is. Look more closely at them.

*bangs head against monitor* Oh yeah I see it now.
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 04:31:42 PM »
If I was a graffiti artist, I would definitely do art like this.
Ditto used Machop!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 05:15:51 PM »
It's cool-looking.  More gamers [with art talent] need to graffiti.

Kidding.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 05:26:47 PM »
Kidding? Imagine what that wall/boxcar looked like before, or what it would've looked like with boring old gang-related graffiti on it. Like a big heap of trash. Now people who pass by can look at it and smile. It's Mario!
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 05:58:14 PM »
He was probably kidding about the idea of promoting vandalism, since it's a crime. Though seeing this, I don't think it should be a crime, unless it's some stupid gang related tagging.
Ditto used Machop!

Super Caterina!

• Super Cool
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 07:59:59 AM »
He was probably kidding about the idea of promoting vandalism, since it's a crime. Though seeing this, I don't think it should be a crime, unless it's some stupid gang related tagging.
Graffiti are vandalism, but not those like this! These are pieces of art!

...Then it gives a lot of colors to that place! =)

*We had also some trains fulled with graffiti, but this was an idea of our region, because it gave much more color to thos old and grey trains. I hope they will draw something like this in the future! XD
It's meee, Super Caterina! =D

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 11:16:25 AM »

Exactly.  Although if they have permission to "spruce up" ugly old walls and such, go for it!

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 11:26:29 AM »
Graffiti are vandalism, but not those like this! These are pieces of art!

...Then it gives a lot of colors to that place! =)

*We had also some trains fulled with graffiti, but this was an idea of our region, because it gave much more color to thos old and grey trains. I hope they will draw something like this in the future! XD

Unfortunately though, the law doesn't see it as art. :(
Ditto used Machop!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 03:25:48 PM »
The world is too rigid like this. It's a mural, in a league completely different from marking gang territory. The artist(s) probably didn't have specific permission to paint it, but if whoever owns that boxcar has no problem with it, then there's no problem. Painting something this large for anyone who looks to see is no more a crime than street performances. Besides, it's not like it's on a department store's wall or something. It's on what was once an eyesore, probably already tagged at least once.
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 03:43:43 PM »
Not that I disagree, but paint, unlike street performers, is permanent.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 08:41:06 PM »
Though, to be honest, if someone spraypainted that onto the side of my house, I'd thank them, it'd be awesome.
Ditto used Machop!

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 10:44:31 PM »
I think people should be a bit more pacifistic when it comes to Graffiti; it's like a splash of color and surreality in an otherwise reality-bound world. But if you don't want it all over your house, that's fine. I wouldn't object to Graffiti on my house as long as our landlord approved it and as long as it was creative. The only graffiti I don't like are excessive tags and swear words (kids see that stuff, you know!)

That picture is a great example why I don't like to see excessive tags. That was a great piece of Mario until some jerks went over it. For those who care, I used graffiti terminology there, but it would be interesting to have a piece of Mario. Y'know, to find out what Mario tastes like.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 03:30:11 PM »
Looking at it, especially since the main parts of the picture aren't covered, I'd say that the tags over it are actually part of the design.

Also, is that Jill Valentine over on the right?
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 07:46:33 PM »
All I've got in my town is Mexican gang grafitti, your usual elaborately-lettered made-up words on the sides of trains, a profanity/crude doodle or two, and that one weird kind of grafitti that's like in a gray, thin, unintelligible scrawl (anyone else know what I'm talking about here?).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 08:17:57 PM »
The graffiti at my high school consists of "SUR" and "NORTE" (South and North, what creative gangs we have), usually written in Sharpie on locker room doors (what scenic territory to mark). Disembodied male genitalia is also a common subject. Very rarely is anything spray painted on school walls, and when it is it's just as plain as the Sharpie. No fancy design or color.

I'll add a big S in front of "Norte" if no one gangly is around. I've never had the chance to edit a "Sur," but if I do I may add "fboard" or "gery" to the end. And once I saw everyone's favorite word written on a wall in the wood shop last year, but the fool forgot the C. I turned the K into an R, and wrote a finisher to the message underneath. It then read:

FUR
Cats have it.

Am I just as bad as the original vandals? Or am I making light out of filth? You decide.
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 02:00:19 AM »
Funny is better than marked territory.
That was a joke.

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2008, 03:18:36 AM »
You should start a FURRY gang.
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2008, 03:34:25 AM »
I'll leave that to DeviantART people. :3  ^^
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 10:23:19 AM »
It's better than what was there before.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008, 11:12:16 AM »
The graffiti at my high school consists of "SUR" and "NORTE" (South and North, what creative gangs we have), usually written in Sharpie on locker room doors (what scenic territory to mark). Disembodied male genitalia is also a common subject. Very rarely is anything spray painted on school walls, and when it is it's just as plain as the Sharpie. No fancy design or color.
Same here! (but I've just got SUR--or SUR 13, actually) You live on the West Coast?

Since no one who works at my school seems to have any inclination to clean up grafitti, I've taken to carrying around a large Pink Pearl with me to do away with it myself. There was a particularly sizable depiction of an... ahem, oral act in one locker room stall (which someone kept gradually adding to. I was always conflicted between disgust and genuine curiousity to see what new feature would be scrawled upon it) and SUR 13 grafitti in the other. It took me a few days, but they're gone and haven't come back. Also, "ho" was written in large, underlined font--plain as day--by the art room. It's not 100% gone, but I did my best. It just... feels good to help out like that. Kinda reminds me of Super Mario Sunshine, really...

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2008, 01:36:53 PM »
In that a dark version of yourself wrote all the graffiti?

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2008, 02:03:21 PM »
No, in that all the inhabitants of his school have palm trees growing out of their heads and give away vital life-sustaining artifacts to anyone who wins their squid races.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2008, 05:08:28 PM »
This year's ASB officers (left to right: secretary, president, treasurer, vice president):

« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 05:12:41 PM by ShadowBrain »

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2008, 07:11:20 PM »
The secretary's outfit looks a little revealing for an office setting. You can almost see her midriff!
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2008, 12:07:58 AM »
Bwuhbuwhbluhblubhbwuh!
No! I don't want that!

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2008, 01:04:40 AM »
Hey, I think I just realized where Ziggy comes from!
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

Super Caterina!

• Super Cool
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2008, 01:01:50 PM »
Bwuhbuwhbluhblubhbwuh!

Pruapppappaprua pappaprua, blulahblulablouh, blouh! pruappappapruappaappa....=(
It's meee, Super Caterina! =D

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2008, 02:30:39 PM »
Muhguhmuh muhhhh-huhguhmuh!

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2008, 04:02:59 PM »
People drawing on walls = graffiti

People drawing Mario on walls = art
"it's always the present"

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2008, 04:15:01 PM »
Note that by this argument and the logic of sets, drawing Mario on walls is still graffiti.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2008, 05:28:48 PM »
Note that by this argument and the logic of sets, drawing Mario on walls is still graffiti.

And so is art.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2008, 06:33:47 PM »
What is art but framed grafitti?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2008, 09:25:25 PM »
Usually something someone made to do more than try to get attention. Until the 20th century, anyway.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2008, 11:33:49 PM »
Drawing on walls = Art
Drawing willies on walls = Maybe art
Peeing on palls walls in front of everyone = Performance art

Yes, these are fairly common occurances where I come from.

Regarding disembodied male-specific anatomy (penises!!1), at least I have the sense to add some rocket flames coming out the back of them, or, if I'm in for an extended duration, an entire rest of a person. It's the least I can do.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 04:56:59 PM by Glorb »
every

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2008, 12:21:54 PM »
People pee on walls in public where you live?
Ditto used Machop!

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2008, 12:25:27 PM »
No, they pee on "palls."

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2008, 12:29:03 PM »
Here, they pee on Pauls.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2008, 12:58:06 PM »
What the heck is a "pall"?
Ditto used Machop!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2008, 04:58:02 PM »
An important part of our inprastructure.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2008, 09:36:32 PM »
"Batman's in the kitchen, Robin's in the hall..."

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2008, 06:11:03 AM »
it says in the title"Graffiti ruins Mario art" but I think it is great!
somewhere out there, there's someone waiting for you to pawn them.

Print