Print

Author Topic: Your Personal Secrets Pertaining To Video Games  (Read 24552 times)

« on: October 17, 2006, 10:54:49 AM »

Who knows, maybe this is a dumb idea--but as a member of this board, I feel duty-bound to liven this place up when there is a drought of fun topics.  As you can see, I have attached my First-Post-Picture™ up there to put you in a good, silly mood.

Now, here are the rules:  You must share a personal video gaming secret.  This means one thing:  Nobody else knows about it.  Once you share it, it will no longer be a secret.  Okay?

But I'm not talking about "hold Down on the white platform and get a whistle" type secrets:  Everyone knows those.  I'm talking about secrets like the following--broadcast for the first time ever to you, the fine readers of TMK...

GAME:  Mickey Mouse's Magical Quest.  LEVEL:  Fire.

It's been a good... well, ten years since I've played this game, but I can remember the secret clear as day.  Mid-way through the level, there is a series of platforms above a lava pit.  At this point, I invariably think of the cute girl named Allison from my third grade class and how I should buy her a phone to win her over.  Why?  Well, I remember the first time it happened:  I must've been 9 years old... During this tricky maneuver, the stress had built up and my mind sort of released itself for a split second--like a bullet from the chamber--and the first place it went was Mickey Mouse merchandise.  From there, I recalled a J.C. Penney catalog with an entire section dedicated to Mickey Mouse merchandise, and I remembered how expensive and therefore high-quality it must have been.  I remembered the cute girl Allison having such things in her room--but she didn't have a phone.  I knew from Clarissa Explains It All that girls LOVE phones, and that Allison would probably fall in love with me if I bought her an expensive Mickey Mouse phone, because girls also love things that match what they already have.

I promise you that, to this very day, if I were to play the Fire Level, I would unwilling think that thought--plucked straight from a 9-year-old's brain.

BONUS SECRET:

When my brother wonders aloud, "How the heck did our GameCube controllers go bad like that," and I respond, "I don't know," I am a BIG, FAT LIAR because I broke them myself during a frustrating SSBM match.  Nobody suspects it, because they don't think I'm the type to throw things.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 12:45:39 AM by DeadAwake »
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 05:40:47 PM »
1. After losing for the nth time in the mission "Death Row" in GTA Vice City, I went insane and ripped out the controler, swung it over my head like a lasso, threw it into the walls, stomped on it, attempted to set it on fire, and yelled profanities at it. When I cooled off a few minutes later and tried again, the controller worked fine, maybe even better than before. Man, those PS2 controllers are durable.

2. While playing most games, I like to pretend that the game is about zombies. I don't really know why.
every

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 05:45:31 PM »
When I was 7 I chewed through the rubber on a SNES controller wire and blamed it on my friend Sarah. Sorry Sarah :(.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 05:51:49 PM »
Ny-wha?! You chewed through an SNES controller? Man, you must've had strong teeth.
every

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 05:55:21 PM »
No, the SNES controller's wire. Not the body itself.

I'd share if my memory were that str-- Oh wait. I cried for about ten minutes from frustration after repeatedly (as in, more than six times) failing the Krazoa Test of Fear in Star Fox Adventures. That thing was seriously hard.

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 06:11:24 PM »
Funny, I've never cried in frustration playing Starfox Adventures, and I found the Test of Fear to be simple.

It was the LightFoot Test of Strength that had me shouting obscenities for days on end (took at least half a month to finally get that done in my first play-through).

I've only thrown one GCN controller in frustration. I laughed about it once the control stick on it finally broke. I was more upset over throwing my green N64 controller to the point that a few things inside of it broke and it became unresponsive....I did cry when that happened.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 06:36:38 PM »
Heh, those Haunted Woods on Paper Mario scared me, and I refused to play the game when my sisters wanted to watch. I told them that it was to hard. I lied. Everything in those woods scared me and I put up the game for more than half a year. I would look at the game every now and then and refuse to play it. I was 11 years old.

I've thrown my gamecube controller more than once. I yelled at it because all of the sudden, Mario started going where he wanted to in PM:TTYD. He was out of my control and I got mad and freaked out.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 06:42:05 PM »
Hehe. This sounds fun.

When I finally beat Bonetail, I threw my controller up into the air and began to pound my chest like a madman. My mother came in and was like, "What the heck is wrong with you?" I felt so embarassed, but I still feel pretty good about beating that sucker.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 07:19:27 PM »
Way back when I was younger, I bought Luigi's Mansion for the gamecube. I thought I'd pick it up 'cuz it was a critically acclaimed title. However, I never played it. Why? Because I was too much of a coward to risk getting scared. Yah, I was a baby back then. I still am a little bit, but I've improved enough that I most likely would've played it now.

To bad I lost that game, SMS, SSBM and others during a move. :(
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 09:19:14 PM »
People who throw their controllers are just wasting money.
Don't waste money, kids.

I very rarely feel frustration from games, because you can't be good at a game until you've tried something enough to get past it.
That was a joke.

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 09:19:23 AM »
I get frustrated a lot in games, but I've never thrown a controller.

That's probably mostly because I don't have a habit of taking out anger on inanimate objects.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 09:58:40 AM »
So you take out anger on animate objects?  I've never got angry at or about a game.  I can only think of three times I've ever really been angry.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 03:47:51 PM »
First of all, I did not throw my controller in anger.
Second, I am not a kid.

New Secret: My brother and I play SSBM all the time. One day, I put the damage ratio up to 2.0 (while raising my handicap a little higher than his) without him watching, and when he came back, I started the match. He couldn't figure out why I was beating him so easily. I never told him what happened, or why I killed him in 2 shots.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 04:50:36 PM »
Even if the first secret isn't really secret, I'll share it.

I'm sure lots of people already know this, but I'm afraid of Like Likes from Zelda.

I like to disconnect on Wi-Fi when I'm winning for some reason.

I cheated on SMS by coping my friend's file to get all the Blue Coins. (I couldn't find 1. Just 1 more but no luck.)

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 04:57:13 PM »
I never played the Big Boo's Haunt level until I was maybe eleven, because it scared me.

As for Pokemon, I got them in 1998... I beat Pokemon Red in 2005, and Pokemon Blue in 2006.  And by "beat" I mean defeated the elite four and stuff, not catch all the pokemon and all that.  I always play Pokemon for weeks in a row at some point in the year, usually summer or Christmas vacation, or just springtime in general. I've never beaten my Pokemon Yellow or Silver...
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Print