Print

Author Topic: Excellent Martinet Interview  (Read 16144 times)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« on: February 05, 2007, 01:24:23 AM »
The Sun, a newspaper and website from the UK, recently had an interview with Charles Martinet.  Martinet's voice has been featured in hundreds of games, commercials, and other venues.  Though best known for his Mario voice, he also mentions some of his other roles in games such as Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Men in Black.

Some very interesting details were revealed.  Martinet recounts the story of how he almost didn't become Mario because he was too busy enjoying the beach!  He also explains how the voice recording process works and how much he enjoys it.  The voice of Mario speaks very highly of the fun he has playing Mario games and Nintendo in general as well as their fans.

The article itself is just a summary of the longer audio interview.  The Sun also posted the 11 minute audio interview of "Charlie," which is chock full of the voice actor doing voices for various Mario characters and is a must listen.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 01:59:19 AM »
Aw, how cool. Reading that should make bashers of SMA voiceovers feel bad.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 12:05:31 PM »
Why is that?

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 09:24:21 PM »
Awesome interview! Martinet is so fun to listen to; I find his animated, upbeat, and joyful nature and outlook absolutely refreshing.

Now I'm curious as to what roles he's played in those other games.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 05:47:16 PM »
Not sure how accurate or complete this is, but give it a whirl.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 05:55:27 PM »
After reading that, it's got to be a little weird for him to go back and play the games that he does multiple voices in.. it's almost like he's arguing with himself.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 06:00:54 PM »
If you've ever heard him do voices in person, he actually does argue with himself.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 10:19:12 PM »
Man, he gets called Charles Martinez a lot.
That was a joke.

Fwirt

• Now in Cherry
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 07:24:39 PM »
Huh, I didn't know Luigi wore striped socks.  That interview with Martinet was interesting.

......And yet I STILL hate the SMA voiceovers.
"Say, you good at video games?  I'm not good at video games.  The last time I fired up one of my old Sega tapes it made me a waffle."

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 07:38:44 PM »
It comes from MaL:SS, you can't actually see it while playing, but in the character art it appears, Luigi is getting taller and taller!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 07:56:43 PM »
If you've ever heard him do voices in person

I'm not lucky enough to have seen him argue with himself, sadly.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 09:17:25 PM »

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 10:39:11 PM »
That was hilarious! Completely hilarious! "Luk-ee..." I laughed myself to tears.

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 01:58:13 AM »
A guy impersonating an Italian impersonating Darth Vader.

AWESOME

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 02:50:45 PM »
I am now officially convinced that the next Mario game should have full-blown voice acting. :D

Print