Print

Author Topic: I take good screen shots  (Read 19537 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: November 28, 2006, 01:50:07 AM »
It probably took me a good 20 seconds to realize it, but the article on page 44 in Game Informer #164 used the screen shot featured on our Mario Picross info page. Nobody from Game Informer contacted us about it, but I guess that's not really surprising. Nevertheless, it's always flattering to see popular publications using our images.
GI #164 p44

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 06:48:41 AM »
Congrats, Deezer! I guess the magazine couldn't find any other good screen shot other than yours, so they used it.

Still, good work!
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 11:49:11 AM »
Congrats!  ... I think.  To be honest, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal for a mag to rip a screenshot and not tell you:  After all, it's just monkey work firing up an emulator and reaching a representative point in the game.  At the same time, it would have been simple courtesy to inform you... I guess the mag doesn't live up to its namesake.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 01:48:53 PM »
Haha, that is rather ironic. :D

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 05:53:58 PM »
That's neat. Can you sue them now?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 07:42:18 PM »
Hmmmm, Max could be onto something! *imagines playing a Wii*
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 09:17:21 PM »
How do you sue over something you don't technically own?
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 09:21:55 PM »
Quote from: Deezer
The Mushroom Kingdom web site and its HTML code are copyright ? 1997-2006 Deezer.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 02:55:25 AM »
And that covers the images...how?

If anything, Nintendo could be suing the site, if it weren't for a little thing called "fair use".

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 06:47:50 AM »
The image is part of the site.

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 06:51:53 AM »
No.  The image is part of the game.  Just because they take an image from the game and put it on the site, does not mean that they own the rights to that image.

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 01:41:50 PM »
This is why most sites shlap giant watermarks on "their" images.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 03:49:36 PM »
After all, it's just monkey work firing up an emulator and reaching a representative point in the game.

DEEZER was hurt by the BRN!

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 04:47:04 PM »
... Somehow, I think not.  Anyway, just imagine how many of these incidents slip in under the radar.  I bet they're like cockroaches with that 1:10 ratio.

Or imagine if Game Informer really didn't use TMK's screenshot.  What if it's just a coincidence?

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 05:04:23 PM »
Down to the 13:19.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 05:40:10 PM »

Hmm, TMK could use an official "logo."

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 05:41:13 PM »
Watermarks are for the devil.

Why use one?  To get less people to use the images?  Or to drive up the filesize?

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 12:14:38 AM »
To prevent image theft. It can be bypassed (via tons of editing), but it takes more effort than it's probably worth.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 12:20:48 AM »
Yeah, but obviously Deezer doesn't care about people taking the images.  There would be nothing to gain.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006, 12:21:23 PM »
I think watermarks on images are silly, especially these days where you see a hundred sites that all have the same screen shots. Anyway, I'm just glad GI deemed my screen shot fit for their magazine.

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 03:37:17 AM »
Indeed they did.  And perhaps I should retract that "monkey work" comment, since the image before TMK's clearly doesn't get it right.

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 03:46:45 AM »
The search I did, without quotation marks, had some Super Game Boy screenshots that I guessed they didn't use because getting simple black and white is better all the time better.

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2006, 07:32:44 PM »
Is it just me or is the one in the magazine a higher resolution than the one on the gamepage?
It doesnt look blurry as if someone had resized it 2-3x
I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2006, 08:02:47 PM »
It would only look blurry if someone resized it with antialiasing.
That was a joke.

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2006, 08:04:50 PM »
It's all in the resampling.

Nearest neighbor resampling (good for this situation):

Bicubic resampling (good for most other situations, default in Photoshop):

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 10:03:39 PM »
Well, your screenshot is on the first page of a google image search of 'Mario Picross.' That's how they probably got a hold of it. That's pretty cool though.
The writer must earn money in order to be able to live and to write, but he must by no means live and write for the purpose of making money.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2007, 01:31:05 AM »
Somebody set up us the bump.
We get post. What! Main Browser turn on...
It's MaxVance!
How are you gentlemen? He contributed to the topic. You are on the way to not complaining.
(It always turns out this way.)
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2007, 08:22:27 AM »
No, it wasn't a bump. The rules say:

Quote from: Deezer
No bumping for the sake of bumping. Bumping is posting in an inactive thread for the sole purpose of moving it to the top of the list.
Also, I wonder if the magazine ever realized that Mario's Picross is a Game Boy game, meaning that it won't be released on the VC.

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2007, 12:30:09 PM »
Yeah, somehow I knew Max would show up with the rules in hand.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2007, 01:12:21 PM »
History repeats itself. Technically though, nothing new happened with that post; DeadAwake already pointed out the Google deal.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2007, 01:59:29 PM »
That's why it was useless to post.

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2007, 06:37:41 PM »
My sorry. D;
The writer must earn money in order to be able to live and to write, but he must by no means live and write for the purpose of making money.

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2007, 08:23:55 PM »
S'okay. Happens to everyone. Well, not everyone, but still.........................

Matty_G33

• Banned
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2007, 03:01:50 AM »

I think you're right. On the MDb, I found a update in the archive and it said that Nintendo had used one of the site's images (one of the Super Metroid Front Box Cover) and they used it as part of their offical Metroid Fusion guide. The photo had the image, which was watermarked with a clear "MDb" on it.

http://mdb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/

It won't link you to the archive, so you will have to find it under features, archive, and some year set in the 00's
Yo, I'm Matty Underscore G Thirty-Three!
And I need a freaking clue...

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2007, 09:41:37 AM »
Yeah, that image totally belongs to them. (Not)
That was a joke.

Matty_G33

• Banned
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2007, 11:18:57 PM »
Yeah, that image totally belongs to them. (Not)

The Super Metroid Front Box Image that belonged to the MDb was actually scanned from the Webmaster's Box of SM.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2007, 01:47:47 PM »
The box art and SNES box design do not belong to them.
That was a joke.

Matty_G33

• Banned
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2007, 04:07:39 AM »
I recently looked at the article and it did have the watermark on the image. It is quite small. It was surprising for the Webmaster TJ.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2007, 02:57:50 PM »
I think you're still missing what I was trying to say.
That was a joke.

Matty_G33

• Banned
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2007, 11:20:11 PM »
Okay then, who are you trying to mention? Nintendo or the Metroid Database?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2007, 01:30:13 PM »
Nintendo still owns the art and everything no matter whose copy of the box (with art belonging to Nintendo) was scanned.
That was a joke.

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2007, 03:35:06 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, that's like ripping sprites from a game, creating sprite sheets and claiming them to be your property.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2007, 03:56:59 PM »
It probably requires even less effort than that!

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2007, 07:53:40 PM »

Don't believe nobody else.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2007, 08:56:10 PM »
AAAAAAAAA! Seizure time!!!
It's YOUR problem!

Matty_G33

• Banned
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2007, 11:19:51 PM »
I got proof right here.

It is not doctored, and I think many sites claim that the big names took something from theirs.
Deezer, do you think that magazine you pointed out to really took your screenshot? I see many Mags take stuff from sites.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2007, 11:52:09 PM »
Either you're intentionally misunderstanding the replies or something is getting lost from the USA to NZ.

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2007, 04:25:39 AM »
It doesn't change the fact that the artwork was the company's to be begin with, and always was.

You have to realize the company spent money to make the image. You can't just scan it and say the image is your property now. They have the right to take whatever belongs to them off websites, because they have the authority. It cost them perhaps, well over a thousand dollars or so to make it (a guess here). What did it cost you to scan it? Nothing.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 04:32:24 AM by NintendoExpert89 »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2007, 08:38:21 PM »
...'S why I got really mad when I found out that Gamespot put their big, obnoxious watermark on the Super Paper Mario box art. It was ultra-high resolution, too. And when I scanned the box myself it came out all grainy...
It's YOUR problem!

Matty_G33

• Banned
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2007, 11:05:27 PM »
Deezer, I am not lost from the "USA to NZ" thing. I only did that my own topic, "What Wii accesory should I get?" It is essential to know the price differences and releases if you are in a different country and need to tell someone else in a different one.

The world does not revolve around America, it revolves around the Sun.

I know that a company always claims their artwork as their own, and many people do. I just find it strange that Nintendo had to take an image from a site, seeing that they made the box art (can't they get a box of Super Metroid?)

And Deezer, I'm think the Magazine Editors used a image search from Google or some other search engine (like Clusty, it is Wii Firendly!)

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2007, 12:20:02 AM »
And Deezer, I'm think the Magazine Editors used a image search from Google or some other search engine (like Clusty, it is Wii Firendly!)
If I were a magazine editor, that's probably what I would've done too. But then I would've e-mailed the site owner and said, "Hey, thanks for the most perfect screen shot of Mario's Picross. We'll be using it in our magazine."

Matty_G33

• Banned
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2007, 02:19:53 AM »
Although there is an address near the picture (to indicate what site it comes from), many people give the search engine all the credit, rather than the site it normally came from.

It could have been from a different site, who knows...

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2007, 04:27:25 AM »
Open INTERNET EXPLORER, turn off the lights, crank your speakers, and go to this URL: http://lizarddude.kontek.net/EMPicross.html

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2007, 11:36:28 AM »
I'd like to point out that unique screenshots are a bit different than the box art for the game. Since, you know, screenshots are unique.
That was a joke.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2007, 02:21:33 PM »
It could have been from a different site, who knows...
I doubt it, unless they skipped it on the first page of Google image search. Anyway, I know I took the screen shot in the first place so it doesn't matter where they got it from; they still used my screen shot. :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 02:24:29 PM by Deezer »

Matty_G33

• Banned
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2007, 10:55:19 PM »
I barely get nice messages these days...would you guys actually be nice?

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2007, 11:01:02 PM »

Matty_G33

• Banned
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2007, 11:05:20 PM »
Oh sure, like that counts (E):-}) (It'sa Mario...)

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2007, 11:41:39 PM »
You continue to misunderstand the posts on this forum. Perhaps you should take a break from here for a while.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2007, 12:15:34 AM »
* Bird Person sticks a :) onto Deezer's post
Don't be so rude, Deezer. Anyway, whatever happened to "No problem; BREAD!"
It's YOUR problem!

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2007, 12:28:25 AM »
:(

Print