Print

Author Topic: Earthbound/Mother Port/Remake on the Horizon?  (Read 10790 times)

« on: December 30, 2012, 04:34:19 PM »
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/20/earthbound-creator-shigesato-itoi-says-something-is-in-the-works/

I only played an hour's worth of EarthBound on Snes9x, but this is bound (hurr) to excite some people.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 02:44:10 PM »
I'd prefer a remake compilation of some kind, but at least getting EB on the eShop would be pretty good.
Relics.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 10:19:02 PM »
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 02:07:59 PM »
Relics.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 08:27:50 PM »
It's gonna happen. We're not allowed to have good things.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 11:48:14 PM »
Getting EB2 over here is more important. If it could be as good as the fan translation, anyway.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 12:03:58 AM »
I am finding Godot's image a lot funnier than I should.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 05:50:27 AM »
Surprised MOTHER hasn't gotten much more attention in Japan than here; its 25th anniversary's coming up pretty soon, after all.  I'd still like to see that one come stateside, as well.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 09:36:15 PM »
The 25th anniversary of Metroid didn't get any press either. Which is a sad thing.
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 12:45:16 AM »
I could shout until I'm blue for Nintendo to release it in America, but it probably won't happen. Rather, from the wording it makes me wonder if the first game (Mother, "EarthBound Zero") is getting a re-release. It deserves to be worked on so it's not as difficult, but I'd especially like to see its world with updated graphics. I believe the first game has one of the most beautiful game maps ever (more for how gigantic it is), and I'd love to explore that without bumping into dogs or crows every 10 seconds.

I don't see anything particularly unmarketable about the games (and still think whoever owns the Beatles wouldn't give a hoot about references to it in EB), perhaps it was just ahead of its time, with Nintendo too scared of a lack of sales to ever try that again.
You didn't say wot wot.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 01:35:19 AM »
I'd be all over remakes of the first two games on the level of the third, but it'd take more than nice graphics. Playable character rebalance, sprite animation, script expansion/retranslation... EB0 and EB are lacking in a lot of departments EB2 excels at. And the sound battles help to break up the monotony of a typical JRPG. But that would require EB0 and EB to have a whole lot more music too, and I'm not sure I'd say it'd be a good idea to recycle the same battle gimmick for all three games.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 01:58:33 PM »
22:30

IT FINALLY HAPPENED
Relics.

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 10:32:59 AM »
Sorry to double post but IT'S JUST BEEN RELEASED ON THE WII U ESHOP
Relics.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 11:23:01 AM »
Going there now. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 02:23:31 PM »
They even have the original Nintendo Power Player's Guide on the official website! And the game is completely 100% uncensored! At least judging by the ESRB rating, which has been raised up to T for Teen and now includes mentions of "Mild Blood" and and "Crude Humor". I even hear there aren't any changes for copyright infringement!
Relics.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 02:46:12 PM »
Yeah, I was surprised about that, but I guess it actually isn't inaccurate.

So you can guess what I'm doing/will be doing
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 10:49:03 PM »
The mission has finally succeeded...I remember calling Nintendo while I was in Middle School asking about Earthbound and Mother 3 as part of one Starmen.net's projects. Everyone make sure to buy a copy- if they see enough sales they may consider releasing Mother 3.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 11:20:08 PM »
Day one and the Miiverse community has more activity than Mega Man 2's has had. Lots of first-timers, too, not just nutty fanatics showing support.
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 04:58:41 AM »
So you can guess what I'm doing/will be doing
Nurturing current friendships and/or developing new friendships?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 01:21:05 PM »
I'm curious as to how close the number of downloads thus far is to the number of people in the Miiverse community.  I got it yesterday, but I haven't posted anything on Miiverse yet, and I'm sure that could be true of any number of others.  I'd hope the reverse is less likely, but who knows.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 05:17:08 AM »
So happy that after all these years Earthbound came back. I know the Mother 3 (?) fan translation was happening, and my son loves playing as Ness (he actually does a perfect cosplay of Ness).
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 10:33:25 AM »
The fan translation was finished and is really really good. I highly recommend it, but for the sake of everyone who won't play it because of the gray zone with ROMs and unofficial emulation, still hope Nintendo localizes it themselves too.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 01:54:41 PM »
I actually remember when they had that blog on the fan translation's progress. They said that they made a huge effort to make sure it came across as a "faithful localization" rather than just a straight-up translation. I think they did an absolutely fantastic job with that. If Nintendo were to localize it themselves, they'd make similar changes, but it probably wouldn't be completely uncensored like the fan translation is. But then again, Nintendo's more willing to publish things with risqué content these days: they are publishing Bayonetta 2, after all, and they published the Wii U version of Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge. In fact, I'd be perfectly willing to bet that if this were 2008 and Nintendo were to publish EB on Virtual Console, they probably would have censored it to get an E rating. The ESRB is getting stupidly strict now, though...
Relics.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 03:03:32 PM »
I'll second BP's assertion about the fan translation. It's super fantastic. (It helps, I suppose, that the person who did the actual translating is a professional translator.)

Mother 3 is a great game. You should play it. Everyone should play it.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 12:03:04 PM »
All my Miiverse posts on EarthBound (all drawings) so far. It's basically a Let's Play. (It's also as though I never stopped making game comics, as long as games I want keep coming out for Wii U. I actually... would buy a Wii U version of something given the choice between that and 360, easily, because doing these drawings is all the way up my alley)

Everyone here who's friended me has been having these pop up in their activity feeds anyway though. Sorry for my prolificness! Unless you like dumb drawings every ten minutes or so, in which case, no, thank YOU
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:08:02 PM by BP »
It's YOUR problem!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 11:12:12 PM »
And I'm done.
Super EarthBound One Turbo: Available Edition 2013 (Onett - Threed)
Did You Bring The Bat (Winters, T-Rex's Bat Challenge, Threed)
I Commit Some Crimes Everyday (Threed - Threed!)
I'm Gonna Rip Yer Arms Off (Gold Mine, Fourside)
Under The Influence (Moonside, Fourside)
A 420 Out Of 10 (Summers, Dalaam, Scaraba)
EarthBound Stuff I Forgot (Scaraba, Museum, Pink Cloud)
Reckless Player Syndrome (Scaraba, Deep Darkness)
Time to not waste hours looking for a sword (Stonehenge Base, Lumine Hall, Lost Underworld)
The coup de grace (The rest)
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2013, 08:42:22 AM »
I liked them all, BP.
Relics.

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 04:30:55 AM »
Now that the Earthbound is on VC, it certainly would be cool if we can get the first Mother game that was released on NES soon. They could even use Matos translation while we are at it.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2013, 09:37:19 AM »
I might play the fan-translated GBA version. I played the NES prototype for the sake of it and at the end decided I was never gonna do it again. Oftentimes I liken EB0 to a college project with EarthBound being the same thing plus funding.

Tomato has offered Nintendo take and use the MOTHER 3 translation for nothing, and man, do I ever hope they either actually do it, or use it and pay the translation team anyway. It's so good, really professional. I get the feeling it might be harder for Nintendo's people to localize than it probably sounds like... not as hard as the fan translation was, where they didn't have the source code, no. But this is not a short game, or even a long game with necessary dialogue only. So maybe they really think it's more trouble than it's worth to do themselves.

There are a couple of bug fixes set to be in v1.2, at least two that fix things that were broken in the original Japanese version of the game... but as of a month ago, it's still an "if there's ever a v1.2". I would bet if Nintendo took Mato up on the offer, they'd do it... and hope so, one of the bug fixes makes Duster's other attack combo sounds work. Besides those things, all I think it needs is a title change.
It's YOUR problem!

Print