Print

Author Topic: TMK Pokémon Crystal Nuzlocke Challenge  (Read 13820 times)

« on: May 14, 2013, 04:10:52 PM »
Yesterday, I started a Nuzlocke Challenge with a ROM of Pokémon Crystal (since my cartridge recently died). Just for fun, I also documented my play to be presented here.

Oh boy here we go. There's gonna be pixels. And little pokemans. And it's gonna be a good time what with all the pokéballs and the berries and the gambling run by the mob.

For the sake of accuracy, I'll pick boy. Usually I'd pick a girl character, but for this particular LP I wanted it to more closely reflect me for... reasons.

Alright! Let's go Pokemans-ing.

I get the feeling we're not going to be friends.

Meeting with Professor Navi. Now I have to go walk around and deliver his mail, because apparently in this world full of computers that can store objects as data and tamable ferrets who can teleport, the central mailing system doesn't exist. Shortly after this he gets an email, data sent over a network cable. Go figure.

So now I get my first Pokémon! Because when  you send a ten year old to deliver your package in the middle of the night through tall grass full of 3 foot long poisonous spiders, you should also give him a newborn to keep him safe. So what's a good name for my first companion? I think that'd be fairly obvious.

Can't use numbers. Darn. Always thought Briguy92 reminded me of a sentient cucumber, didn't you? He's a Chikorita now.

Say Hello to my first party member.

Deliver the dumb egg to the dumb egg guy.

Oh. Hey buddy.

Briguy92's first battle! Go him. I have faith.

Butts were kicked. It was a good time. ??? shall never again haunt CherryGrove with his unfashionable haircut.

Anyway, back to the lab! Where there's a Scooby-Doo level of intrigue and mystery.

So this guy. He'll be bothering me constantly without provocation. He'll become a regular irritant striking at regular intervals to be as annoying as he can. Why yes, I did happen to get his name.

(I tease. Weegee is a fine gentleman.)

Alright! Now let's start this Nuzlocke challenge off right.

My first caught companion lies somewhere in these bushes. C'moooooooon, Hoothoot. Give me a Hoothooot. Hoothoot or a Spinarack.

Well that wasn't what I wanted at all.

I found a pokémon that was completely the opposite of what I wanted, shows up everywhere, and can't easily be shaken off. I think his name is obvious.

Alright. Second chance. C'moooon, Hoothoot. Or really just something else.

Now this game is just intentionally trying to mess with me. He shall be named accordingly.

New Route, new Buddy. If this is another Rattata, I'm going to bludgeon the entire population of Rhode Island out of spite.

Well that was unexpected. I didn't even know you could find those here. Still, it's not bad. Really could be pretty useful.

Named accordingly.

Alright, now we're getting somewhere.

Or not. I'd hardly call one level 2 Rattata to be a battle, but I'll take my wins where I can get them.

Oh look at that. Briguy92 is becoming useful.

A new route, a new Pokémon. No expectations here. Could be anything.

Yeeees.

Yeeeeeeeeees

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Look at that. The game decided to be nice to me.

So nice.

And here we are. Right there at the first gym. Now, I time to train up and take it on!

...Next time. For now, I'll just stand and stare at this gym.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 02:53:21 PM by Godot »
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 04:28:49 PM »
I'm afraid to know which Pokemon I'll be.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 04:33:31 PM »
Silly Weegee. You're the rival.
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 04:50:47 PM »
Your decision to name your Pokemon after the forum denizens is a nice touch.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 04:55:32 PM »
Something tells me Deezer is going to be the Legendary one.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 06:14:26 PM »
Silly Weegee. You're the rival.

Whoops, I sort of skimmed past the middle bit.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 07:48:58 PM »
You tl;dr'd a picture post and then replied to it

Good luck, Godot.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 07:59:51 PM »
So I'm a Hoothoot? Not the one I would have picked, but at least I can fly. And flying is awesome. :)

Yes. Good luck with this, and keep us posted. :)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 04:32:15 PM »
Right then. Let's continue.

Ah, Sprout Tower. The tower full of Bellsprouts. Accurate, if a little boring. Who named this place, anyway?

Ah. Monks. That would explain it. Never really pictured monks as being the type to go cockfighting with their garden salads.

Take that, regard for my fellow man! Now I can take this victory onward to beat up all your friends. Like any normal 10 year old.

Oh! Sprout Tower is a new place! I can catch something new here! LIKE A BELLSPROUT THAT WOULD BE SO COOL

Are you kidding me.

Are you completely serious right now.

This is ridiculous. I'm beating up this level 4 Rattata with my level 4 Rattata.

I didn't even know you could catch something other than a Bellsprout in Sprout Frickin Tower.

Noooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooo.

Oh well. You died as you lived, A. Being disappointing.

And now you have a replacement. So after a valiant battle with a level four male Rattata, I've lost my level four male Rattata and replaced him with a level four male Rattata.

Anyway.

Nothing like stealing medicine from a monastery to cheer me up.

I'm sure this means something. To someone. Presumably.

What the heck kind of name for a monk is Edmond.

BP seen here in one of the rarest activities for its species: becoming useful.

I wish I knew how to quit you.

Boy. Trainer Joey is actually a terrible trainer. Go figure.

I would just like to take a moment here to point out this Hoppip. I was off grinding, and I came accross a Hoppip who only knew Splash, Synthesis, and Tail Whip. The only things it could do were nothing, heal itself, and lower my defense. How on earth did it survive this long.

It was a this point that Joey called me for the second time this play-through to battle me. At which point, PaperLuigi proved his worth by showing he is among the top  percentage of all Rattata.

I decided to go investigate what was actually in town at this point. I found this young man.

You mean if I'd caught a Bellsprout in Sprout Tower I could have an Onix right now?

Great.

A new Route, a new party member to be found. This guy just straight up gave me a rock. Just "Hey, you. Take this rock."

Let's go look in some tall grass.

AW HECK YEAH BELLSPROUT

DELICIOUS

You are an Onix waiting to happen my friend.

Yes. Giiiive me your rooooocks.

We had some good times, Fodder.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNEcQS4tXgQ" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNEcQS4tXgQ</a>

Mmm yeah. Sweet delicious rocks.

C'mere, rocks.

Welp. That's a terrible name I can never change. Oh well.

New Route, new buddy. I miss A Fodder.

Except no wait I can't. No new Pokémans until you've beaten the gym says... this guy. Who is this guy? You're not a cop. You can't tell me where I can and can't go. Why do you get to be the arbiter of preteen foot traffic? Who vested you this authority? Who even has the authority to do that?

Accepting Joey's phone number may have been a poor decision.

Time to go beat Sprout Tower.

NEXT TIME, ON TMK NUZLOCKE

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 04:42:41 PM »
Weegee gon' kick yo ass.

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 04:55:01 PM »
Weegee a'int gon do no such thing.

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 05:40:13 PM »
This is an awesome thread. I'll be watching this with great interest.

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 05:46:34 PM »
Loving your story so far. :D

I hope Toad proves to be useful. :B
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 07:00:46 PM »
Please IAH for next Pokémon.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 07:02:55 PM by I am hello »
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 07:39:56 AM »
Briguynt LOL

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 08:50:43 PM »
Well, I've found a reason to visit this forum more often.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 04:52:37 PM »
Let's get right back into it, shall we?

Today, we conquer the tower full of Bellsprouts. Which admittedly feels a bit like stomping on all the bulbs in a garden store and declaring yourself the victor. But I'm not the one who built a towering monument to a weed.

Aw, what? You mean I could've caught a Gastly here? Dagnab.

The ColonelKR. Eager, but useless.

You cannot lick Toad. Toad is...

unlickable.

Here we see a statue of a Bellsprout undergoing a colonoscopy.

I have no idea what this means.

They let just any old Tom, Dick or Troy in here, don't they. No standards for having monk like names. They don't even assign you one, you just get to be Troy. Or Sterance. Or something else that's also a terrible monk name.

Oh look! Weegee is getting him some custom burned CD's. So maybe this isn't actually a monastery. Maybe it's just a place where Bald men hold talent contests for pirated goods.

Weegee, seen here forgetting how words work.

I'd hardly consider a painting of a Bellsprout to be powerful after climbing the tower. I'm pretty jaded on Bellsprout iconography at this point.

Man. Short game.

Theeeeeeere we go. Now that's a monk name.

Let's start with our favorite Rock Snake, shall we?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulEisLcFEl4" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulEisLcFEl4</a>

ROCKY NO

IT'S JUST LIKE THAT ONE MOVIE WHERE ROCKY GOES INTO A BIG IMPORTANT FIGHT AND THEN LOSES.

God, what was that one called.

Then BP came out to avenge our short lived companion and had an exchange of blows that resulted in him actually running out of moves. Perhaps I should be grinding more.

And I won! It only cost me my pet rock.

Good god Joey. I'm having a moment.

God

High Tailin it out of here.

Might as well loot the body.

And there he goes.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNEcQS4tXgQ" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNEcQS4tXgQ</a>

Go tell Token I say hi.

*sniff*

Good lord toad, put that thing away.

I kid. I will be explicitly asking you to flash for the remainder of your days so I can see things. And offend Geodudes.

Oh hey! That reminds me! I haven't caught a Pokémon in the dark caves yet! I can go replace Rocky!

If I could swear here without reprimand, you can guarantee this sentence would be much more profane.

So what should I name this Level 2 Zubat? This completely unasked for member of my team who is guaranteed to be more a burden than a help.

Say Hello to- oh god that joke is so bad I can't even type it.

So I went out to grind a bit. Make hello:) more useful.

You kidding me? I could've caught a Gastly out here, too? Man. Dooker luck.

Let's see if we can't get a more useful party member while we're here.

Something looks a bit off with this one.

More accurate, but less amusing.

Hoo-a! Time for some sweet Unown action!

Unless it faints.

Which it does.

PROFANITY

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 04:58:47 PM »
YES! I hope I will be useful.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 06:47:50 PM »
What the heck would a Hoothoot use Flash with anyway

Loving your commentary..

Good lord toad, put that thing away.

Hilarious

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 07:06:47 PM »
This should be a YouTube series.
Now with grandeur.

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 09:31:57 PM »
I'm scared to see where I come in.

But if this was Blue or Red you should have caught a Missingno. and called it Ym9i(etc.)

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 01:25:43 AM »
Clarification. The movie name you're looking for is REAL STEEL.

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 01:47:51 AM »
This is entertaining. I actually audibly laughed a bit.

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 10:47:40 PM »
Alright. It's gym time.

And by Gym Time, I mean grinding time.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hmDZz5pDOQ" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hmDZz5pDOQ</a>

Far too much grinding later,

It's time to take on the world. The first brutal gym in a long series of difficult battles.

Stare pensively at the stone for mental preparedness.

So I guess this is a birdkeeping gym. I have no super effective attacks here, but I'm sure I'll do fine.

One shotted. But his Pidgy was also level 9, so the leader's pokémon are probably much stronger.

Sigh

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hmDZz5pDOQ" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hmDZz5pDOQ</a>

C'mon Toad. Concentrate on it. I'm sure with enough mental focus you can figure out how to aggressively thrust your face at things. So a HootHoot is born knowing how to tackle but not peck? Who designed these Eugenics, John Madden?

And then he bought a lottery ticket and stocks in Microsoft.

After many fierce battles and grueling effort, ColonelKR has learned how to bite slightly harder. It took him 13 levels to realize he could be biting things harder.

Unbelievable.

In the midst of my grinding, I got a call from that "good buddy" of mine.

Rattatafight.

You go, ColonelKR. You bite that guy extra super hard.

And so it goes. Perhaps he's finally learned the futility of his actions.

Aaaaand back to grinding.

Well look at that. I managed to make a Chikorita less intimidating.

And poisonous. Surely lethal poison is a reasonable thing for a ten year old who doesn't even have a gym badge yet to have access to.

What, did you forget you had teeth?

Real team full of winners, here.

Finally done grinding. Thank god for emulator speedup sweet, virtuous patience.

And just for good measure before I go attempt the first gym,

If I was any older I'd get arrested for beating this kid up so many times.

OH WELL

Gym Time. Gettin Fit all up in the gym.

Thanks. Gonna tell me your credit card number, too?

Well look at this. Fights with two pokemon. Big man.

Two hyper fangs and not a scratch on me. This whole biting thing is really working for me.

No no, Rod. Not gaah. Guts

Let's go, hairdo.

Falkner has poor taste in pants.

He's only got a level 7 pidgey?

There we go. Here's the big fight.

Boy. Sure is fair in here.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3suGfhnT2Sg" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3suGfhnT2Sg</a>

9 whole levels of cherished.

Guess they just ran out of vowels for these badges.

Hyper Fang 2: Bite Harder

Now is when we either keep a closer eye on Toad, or invest in some pixelly blurring technology. Where do the Japanese get theirs? Gotta make some phone calls.

So if I need to do any sexy mud wrestling, I am now prepared. Thanks, Falker. Go think about your loss by writing books or something.

CLIFFHANGER.

WHAT COULD IT BE.

SURELY NOT A POKéMON.

NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALL Z
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:28:14 PM by Godot »

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 07:05:17 PM »
dat hyperfang

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 08:37:51 PM »
I just noticed me-bat is a girl.

All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 12:13:53 AM »
Hyperfang is completely ridiculous broken at the beginning of the game. It's like a Butterfree with confusion in Gen 1.

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 12:39:05 AM »
Confusion is hardly any stronger than Water Gun or Ember, and is weaker than Razor Leaf.

I just noticed me-bat is a girl.

Bat Person?

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2013, 11:58:53 PM »
Confusion is hardly any stronger than Water Gun or Ember

Except Generation I was extremely unbalanced. Psychic types actually countered ghost types in Pokémon Red and Blue, contrary to every proceeding game. In fact they straight up hard-countered ghost types because ghost moves had zero effect on psychic types AND every Generation I ghost type was also a poison type. To make things worse, their only counter, bug type, was complete ass with statistically the weakest base stats and only three damaging moves (Leech Life, Pin Missile and Twineedle). So having confusion in Generation I was actually pretty [darn] good because it was at least normally effective against practically everything except psychic Pokémon.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2013, 03:44:09 AM »
Very entertaining! I can't wait for more. I may try the Nuzlocke challenge myself someday.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
I was 40 pictures into an episode when Windows decided to update and I lost my progress, so be patient while I get the next episode up.

To tide you over, here's a picture of BriguyNT:

Print