Print

Author Topic: Final Fantasy  (Read 12324 times)

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 05:46:21 PM »
Bravely Default starts out strong, but the last third of it is one of the worst things I've had to do in a video game.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 11:51:08 PM »
No one's talked about FF1 yet so I will talk about FF1 now. What I like about it are all things games don't do anymore, and I don't mean that in a retro-****y way. There's something about a game that's full of conscious decisions that... get the job done, but are not the first thing you'd expect. It plays out like a schizophrenic game of dungeons & dragons run by a DM who didn't do nearly enough worldbuilding before the game started and whose notes keep getting eaten by his dog. There are many many many subplots and objectives that don't connect together, with a long chain of them going on before you even get to doing anything directly related to the main plot. Even during the main plot, it's like, something about vampires... something to do with mermaids... some mermaids who are disguised as humans and are foot fetishists... a guy who kidnapped a fairy... and guess what there's an entire dungeon and a community of dragons who only exist to frame the class upgrade, which is itself completely disconnected from the main story and in fact 100% optional. But what IS required is to go to a little ice cave lost in a maze of canals in the mountains to get a rock from a treasure chest, take that to the middle of the desert on the other side of the continent so it triggers a flying boat to ride out of the ground, because half the map doesn't have any parking for your water boat.

The GBA version is reasonably balanced so that you don't have to be crazy to enjoy it (after a bumpy beginning), but yeah, totally primitive directionless whatever-ness in lieu of brooding antiheroes with tragic pasts and hunger for revenge and playable characters dying and taking all your equipment with them.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 02:38:01 AM »
You don't need to be crazy to play NES FF1. Just patient.

The problem with the FF1 remakes is that by removing anything weird or different in the combat, you're left with an aggressively average game, something that could've been made as someone's first RPG Maker project. We'd complain if pretty much any other game had its guts ripped out in this fashion, so why is it okay for FF1?

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 11:10:33 AM »
I've played everything.

FFIX is the actual best.

But sometimes as an Au Ra runs her soft lips down your cheek you'll swear FFXIV is the best.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 11:52:13 AM »
Well at least me and LD have the same taste in Final Fantasies. :D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 07:09:40 PM by The Chef »

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 12:46:12 PM »
I do believe V is the best, but IX runs a close second.
I haven't played XIV so I can't say anything about it, but it seems to be excellent.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 02:51:16 PM »
We'd complain if pretty much any other game had its guts ripped out in this fashion, so why is it okay for FF1?

I dunno, because people who play Final Fantasy are forgiving? Forgiving enough to say things like "it gets better 10 hours in I swear"

tss
It's YOUR problem!

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2015, 11:15:25 PM »
But sometimes as an Au Ra runs her soft lips down your cheek you'll swear FFXIV is the best.
And sometimes, as a Roegadyn sits on top of you, you'll swear FFXIV is the worst.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2015, 05:55:06 PM »
No one's talked about FF1 yet so I will talk about FF1 now. What I like about it are all things games don't do anymore, and I don't mean that in a retro-****y way. There's something about a game that's full of conscious decisions that... get the job done, but are not the first thing you'd expect. It plays out like a schizophrenic game of dungeons & dragons run by a DM who didn't do nearly enough worldbuilding before the game started and whose notes keep getting eaten by his dog....

That was all I needed. I know where to start. See the image attached for more information.

Square Enix's RPG catalogue outside of Final Fantasy contains some absolutely amazing, imaginative, and just plain cool games, far moreso than the Final Fantasy series itself could ever provide. Outside of the context of this thread, I'd recommend titles like Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, several Dragon Quest games, EVO: The Search for Eden, Chrono Trigger, Parasite Eve, The 3rd Birthday, NieR, and The Last Remnant without a second thought.

I just recently finished Chrono Trigger (the Android Port), and I think it has bumped KOTOR from my top slot as my favorite RPG of all time. I never had the SNES as a kid (and I still don't have one *sigh*), but I had read only good things about Chrono Trigger, and so I figured I needed to play it; I'm pretty sure that's where this itch to play FF came from.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 09:16:42 AM »
My other favorite JRPG is Punch-Out!!. It's really unorthodox as far as JRPGs go but I feel a lot of its radical decisions were good ones. All of the slow world-traveling is done offscreen, there are no random encounters, all the level grinding is done for you in cutscenes after you beat bosses, all of the enemies are either bosses or mini-bosses, you can break the turn-based nature of the combat by doing counters to enemy attacks, armor upgrades don't do anything to save you from dying in five hit, but they do change your appearance, and your cleric is a black guy instead of a white wizard.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 09:18:56 AM by BP »
It's YOUR problem!

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2015, 01:51:47 PM »
/\ Nice.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2015, 09:43:04 PM »
Hope you guys weren't too excited; the Final Fantasy VII remake will be episodic.
Relics.

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2015, 07:47:39 PM »
I'm more angry about the battle-system than that.
I don't even really care if it's split into 6 parts, if it's good, I'll get it.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

Print