Print

Author Topic: "So, all you do is play video games?"  (Read 31233 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2006, 01:38:34 PM »
His post was certainly, um, dramatic. And quite uplifting, too.
every

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2006, 04:50:53 PM »
It seemed like he used an awful lot of blank lines in that post.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2006, 04:56:41 PM »
Maybe if you actually believed in God, you'd have hope? and feel a purpose in life? and a feeling of fulfillment? and... well, you get the idea. Just a suggestion/idea.
(Might I point out that "there is no god," as you said it, is NOT a fact, as you claimed.)

Oh, no, not another YOUR LIFE MEANS NOTHING WITHOUT GOD threat. I get enough of that tripe in real life. I, and all other atheists, do not need to be condescended upon because of our beliefs.

Once again: I don't question your religion, why do you question mine (I.E., my lack thereof)? My life has MORE than enough purpose as it is. I anticipate much fulfullment for myself in the near future, also.

That said, though, "there is no God" can't be proven like the sun being a star can be. S'all.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 04:58:26 PM by Insane Steve »
~I.S.~

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2006, 05:34:45 PM »
If the afterlife is just a blank void without a God, then I might as well enjoy life while I still can.

Anyway, let me express my outrage at Hillary Clinton's comments. It's not as if I'm going around stomping on people's turtles and cutting bridges with axes, right?
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2006, 05:51:01 PM »
-_-'

I was NOT telling him what to believe; I was retorting to his complaint that video games are "the only thing in the world that keeps my mind off of mortalatly, the fact that there is no god". If he feels THAT depressed and helpless and angry about life, I was saying that perhaps believing in God would change that feeling.

Just a suggestion/idea.

I wasn't insulting atheists' beliefs (or lack thereof); I was pointing out a different perspective. I just don't understand why anyone would WANT to feel depressed, helpless, and/or angry. If one doesn't feel that, okay, well then, whatever. While I might not agree with their beliefs, I'll respect them and theirs as long as they're respectful. Metal_Slug_Mario wasn't being respectful.

I respect you, Steve, though I don't agree with you. However, I find your response as sounding bitter and angry with me. I didn't mean to offend anyone; I was just sticking up for my beliefs, as I didn't like how MSM was going off like that. Just stating my point of view and perspective; not "forcing" them on anyone or insulting others'. I fail to see how I "threatened" anything.

I apologize for sounding condescending. If anything, I was being "condescending" toward MSM's attitude---not his beliefs, not other's beliefs, and certainly not toward anyone as a person. I'm sorry for acting like that, as it is, as I shouldn't have. Bad attitudes frustrate me. Please, to anyone, don't take this stuff as a personal attack.

...Yeah.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2006, 06:10:09 PM »
Actually, I think the Sun will just become a red giant frying Mercury, Venus, and Earth, just barely missing Mars.  After a while, it will turn into a black dwarf.

EDIT: I play video games to escape reality and to alleviate the stress caused by reality.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 06:16:31 PM by Kojinka »
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2006, 11:28:44 PM »
It seems like weird advice to tell someone who is depressed about the fact that there is no God to feel better by believing in God.

It's like telling someone who is depressed about getting an F to feel better by believing that they got an A.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2006, 07:26:59 AM »
Might as well start another thread if this keeps up,(I barely even mentioned God,)

Sorry,(everyone) I'm just posting my true feelings about this.

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2006, 11:41:07 AM »
I play video games to escape reality and to alleviate the stress caused by reality.

That's strange. That's one of the reasons I play. That, and the fact that they're totally awexome. ^_^
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2006, 12:04:28 PM »
From my experiences, as soon as threads initially not about religion or politics turn into debates about religion or politics, they are almost always unsalvagable.

My reaction to Sapphira's post, at the time, was vitriolic, but this is because:

1) I had just had someone in real life try to tell me exactly what I had descbired a few hours prior,
2) I had somewhat misread the post, and somehow mentally overlooked the "suggestion" comment,
3) My reactions to things are, sometimes, volatile and unpredictable.

I'll take back any ill feelings that may have been implied in that thread. But I'm still frustrated about people who feel the need to tell me things like what I described in my initial post. Re-reading Saph's post, and its context within the thread, I can see now that it wasn't intended like I read it as, and I apologise for my quick, sort-of thoughtless snapping back.

So... ya. My experiences with video games. I can't possibly see how the Jack Thompson ideal even remotely applies to myself. I've neever been any sort of fan of the GTA series, or any first person shooters, or those kinds of games. Only FPS I ever played for any time was Goldeneye. Only fighting game (if you can call it such) I played for any time is SSB(M). Unless you can turn the E-rated Mario games into violent smashfests. Which typical politicians tend to be able to do.

In fact, a good deal of my friendships come from video games. And poker, but that's for another thread altogether. Just like most of that couple you mentioned's friends come from model trains. Seriously. You find something you like, and meet other people who have a common interest. What difference does it make if that interest is video games or model trains?
~I.S.~

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2006, 01:21:42 PM »
I'm glad to see this topic is nw back to the intended subject (games).
every

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2006, 01:30:17 PM »
now that were back on topic,

like I said "they're just jealous"

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2006, 10:09:24 PM »
What I posted last time, it's not the only reason I play video games.  As I matured, I though deeply about why video games are so enjoyable, and I realized that the screen offers your mind a gateway to a new world.  A person will turn a game on for at least one of different reasons: for the sake of playing through it to beat it, the basic fact that they are fun, or to relax the mind from the hardships the real world inflicts on us.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2006, 03:23:49 PM »
Well, that's the main reason I play most games. The reason I would play Perfect Dark is to train to become a spay, although it gets a tad unrealistic around...oh, the first level. I suppose that's why I play games; they're often unrealistic, in a fun way. That's also why I never liked the Tom Clancy</I> games that much, save for the Splinter Cell games.
every

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2006, 03:29:11 PM »
I suppose that's why I play games; they're often unrealistic, in a fun way.
I guess thats why I love halo

Print