Print

Author Topic: Re: Mailbag  (Read 5773 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: April 17, 2003, 10:12:06 AM »
I liked it.

But I must admit, my opinion is a bit biased.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2003, 12:03:24 PM »
Oh my gosh! Not one but *TWO* TMK staff members!! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)  :)Actually, what was different with it? Was it that both of you answered it? I like it when you guys do that, BTW. It's hilarious.

--------------------
If things don''t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2003, 01:42:06 PM »
Ever since the infamous Mysteriously Excluded Mailbag Message (http://www.harbornet.com/folks/readers/mailbag.html), I haven't done much reading of the mailbags. It's probably mostly my own fault. Before that time, however, I was a consistent mailbag reader. They were always excellent, especially when you and Deezer co-answered them, which it looks as though you're continuing to do. Without reading it, I bet the latest mailbag is well done and very funny. If fact, I may read it yet . . .

It is interesting to note that this is the first time I have seen David post since I joined this message board last year.

Less interesting, perhaps, is that I'm the one who sent you, David, the squeezable Kirby. Just in case you wanted some context as to which dude I am in the big Internet thingie of ours.

I posted in BORED!! With a pinch of salt.
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

David

• Trusts the fungus
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2003, 02:19:34 AM »
Ah, Kirby. He sits on my shelf.

I do believe that the fan art was shipped off to the mystical land of fan art (see Deezer), and I was running out of time, skimmed the e-mail, and thought most of your points were covered in other messages. I can't answer them all, sadly.
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2003, 09:49:23 AM »
"Mystical land of fan art." Hahaha.

Anyways, I was VERY disturbed by something I saw in one of the letters:

"-In Round 2 of the West Division, "Super Mario World" went against its own sequel, "Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island." "Super Mario World decimated its successor 11-4."

Ok, WHAT THE HELL were these people thinking?? I mean, it's bad enough that SMW can beat SMW2 in the first place, I mean, SMW2 requires FAR more thought, FAR more time to beat, and the levels are FAR better designed. (I can beat ANY level of SMW in 5 minutes. This includes the Front Door.) Secret 6 of SMW2 takes me about 20 minuts to get a 100 on, even now that I know everything abuot it.)

And even after this obvious comparsion of level design, SMW not oonly beats a superior game, but by an almost 3 to 1 margin! What the hell?

That's almost as bad as the GameFAQs poll where Mario almost lost to Cloud from FF... (Bleh, I know almost nothing about the FF series) .. I mean, the character that pioneered video gaming almost losing to a character from one game. Sickening.

Let's just say that nowadays, I'm going to say that the ratio of shallow people to non-shallow people in the world is 11:4. Seems about right. At least SMB beat GTA: Vice City.

Feh. Other than that little (Actually, it's quite big in my mind) idiotic decision, I liked the Mailbag.

Congratulations! You have just been blessed by the wisdom of Steve.
~I.S.~

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2003, 10:24:06 PM »
I liked the last Mailbag. That guy who thought Mario's variable jumps was a glitch was funny. Uncharacteristic of me, I would have given a harsher reply than "That's intentional."

One thing that doesn't particularly pertain to this mailbag, but previous ones:
Don't diss SFA.
Thank you, that is all.
That was a joke.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2003, 09:31:11 PM »
I read the mailbag! But, man, was it ever LONG . . . it took me awhile to read. I guess that's what Deezer meant by "very taxing" on the homepage, huh?

Likely the only person who has done this, I printed it out and made some notes in the margins as I read so I could remember what stuck out to me and mention it in here. I hope you're still checking this topic, David (I'll only have you read part of my post, so don't be intimidated). If you aren't, then maybe Chupperson or somebody else will enjoy reading my post. Well, I shall begin.

Your idea for a new Mario BROS. game sound great. I've been wondering for some time now whether we'd ever get another one of those (and I don't mean reincarnations of old, however classic, ones). My user name at Nintendo.com is "mariobros," I have sent Nintendo Power an e-mail or two on the subject.

When I got to the e-mail that mentions the jump glitch, I just laughed. If I were in your position, having to respond to that comment, I don't know what I would say.

In reply to one of the many numbered e-mails, you said, "Boy, I hate numbered e-mails." I'm curious: why do you hate them? Realize that I respect the fact that you do; I even recognized it in "your" reply to my Mysteriously Excluded Mailbag Message.

You said, "Perhaps someone should start a trading board in the Fungi Forums, eh?" There are at least three of them already:

1. http://www.classicgaming.com/tmk/board/topic.asp?forum_id=500&topic_id=70869
This one never really got off the ground.

2. http://www.classicgaming.com/tmk/board/topic.asp?forum_id=500&topic_id=70827
Although it had significantly more activity and trading than any other AC topic, this one has pretty much died.

3. http://www.classicgaming.com/tmk/board/topic.asp?forum_id=500&topic_id=71784
Still relatively new, this topic is attempting to keep the Animal Crossing trading going.

You also might like to know, if you don't already, of this text file:
http://www.beochan.com/games/animal_crossing/itemcodes.txt
It has the largest collection of Animal Crossing passwords that I've seen.

I was shocked to read that Olimar is the size of a quarter.

Okay, David. I have enjoyed discussing the mailbag—you should post a topic like this again sometime if you feel similarly. You may now stop reading my post. The rest is stuff that you may not care about but that I'm going to say anyway (in case someone else happens along).

Does anyone know what "the original plans for the sequel to SM64" that David mentioned are?

Now I know Super Mario 123187/Dairy King/Bluto's real name: David Edwards. I wonder how many other user names he has in these forums?

What is an "EPROM"? Some kind of specialized ROM?

Someone said that he "used to like pokemon." Then he signed his message "Celebi413." Uh . . . (?)

A guy gave Mario cameos from The Wizard! Ha, ha, HAH!!! If nothing else, these mailbags are hilarious!

". . . I was running out of time, skimmed the e-mail, and thought most of your points were covered in other messages. I can't answer them all, sadly."
– David, above

I understand this. TMK must get a lot of e-mail. But, after reading the latest mailbag, I have trouble accepting it, regardless of how much I understand it. There are so many dumb, thoughtless e-mails in this mailbag—why couldn't David have substituted that sort of junk for what I sent? I mean, e-mails that have paragraphs like, "I love mario," "Don't buy Xbox. You'll regret it," and "hiya deezer," really shouldn't take precedence over what I sent in. In all likelihood I sound quite arrogant, but please consider the fact that I put considerable time and effort into that message. I put thought into everything I said and proofread it multiple times. It's free of the "hay sup tMK what u doin dezzer" garbage that almost every mailbag e-mail contains.

Well, I don't know if I'm getting any kind of a point across or not. I am talking only about the Mysteriously Excluded Mailbag Message—which is because it's the only message of mine I have to use as an example—but what I'm getting at is the principle of the situation. It doesn't make sense to exclude thoughtful, grammatically-correct e-mails for stupid, almost-unintelligible ones.

Chupperson, or Sapphira, or anyone else, if you made it all the way through this post, I thank you. Even if you choose not to reply to it.

Edited by - Watoad on 4/19/2003 8:40:40 PM

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2003, 10:48:00 PM »
"I guess that's what Deezer meant by 'very taxing' on the homepage, huh?"
No, actually, it was Tax Day.

EPROM stands for "Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory."
That was a joke.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2003, 10:22:55 PM »
I read it and now I've replied! :)
I feel honored now; you mentioned MY name (well, and CW's) above everyone else's.

--------------------
If things don''t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2003, 07:20:02 PM »
Mmmmm. I just had a couple oatmeal raisin cookies. Store-bought and old, yet tasty.

Anyway, yeah, Sapphira, I tend to say people's names more than anyone else here. I'm not sure why, exactly. You and Chupperson seemed like the most likely ones (of those who've posted in this topic so far) to read my long post, and I wanted to thank you for it.
I've typed "Chupperson" like 200 times. Heh . . .

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2003, 07:31:30 PM »
I forgot something. Chupperson (now 201, heh, heh), is it just me, or is "Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory" a bit of a contradiction? I mean, doesn't "Read-Only" usually mean non-erasable and non-programmable (or, generally, non-changeable)?

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2003, 07:45:34 PM »
Sounds like an oxymoron to me. Just like "good" "morning". Heheh...

--------------------

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2003, 08:38:14 PM »
I liked it.Deezer & David,can you find out more about Wario Ware please?

Im the king,
you dino-guy,
ill smash you now,
so say goodbye!
Find your inner monkey.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2003, 10:55:16 PM »
Watoad: I think I can offer some insight behind the "Mysteriously Excluded Letter." Earlier today, I was sifting through the mail for any remaining fan arts, and I came across your letter. All that showed was the images because all the text was contained in attachments for some reason. For me, it is now easy to see why it was moved to the "site stuff" directory without being answered.

Pink King Boo: Have you read my preview of Wario Ware?

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2003, 01:04:30 AM »
Yeah I read ur preview but I mean more as in release date for Australia coz in live in oz....

Im the king,
you dino-guy,
ill smash you now,
so say goodbye!
Find your inner monkey.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2003, 07:53:30 AM »
Thank you, Deezer! I thought that if either of you two actually read my complaint, you'd just be annoyed by it. But you responded, and your response is greatly appreciated! It's very reasonable, too. I'm glad to know what really happened.

In the future, if I want to e-mail more than just plain text to the mailbag e-mail address, may I post my e-mail online and just e-mail the URL? Then you could simply copy the source code and paste it into the mailbag. What do you think?

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2003, 08:58:25 AM »
Pink King Boo: I think I heard June 6th.

Watoad: It might have been one of those freak occurrences, but it might not be a bad idea to send us a link in the future.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2003, 09:01:25 AM »
All right. Thanks again!

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2003, 07:07:19 PM »
Thanks Deezer!

Im the king,
you dino-guy,
ill smash you now,
so say goodbye!
Find your inner monkey.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2003, 03:38:44 PM »
Heh, I was thinking the same thing about EPROMs, when it dawned on me: ROMs (of any sort) don't even exist. All memory can all be modified with the right tools.
That was a joke.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2003, 10:27:42 PM »
Deezer, I was just checking out the Fan Art section and noticed that you're in the process of updating it. Since everything was so crazy with the submission of my Watoad drawing, I'm not sure if you got a name and e-mail address to attribute to it. You haven't uploaded it yet, so could I request that you credit my drawing to "Watoad" and "tilguk@yahoo.com"?

If you don't reply to this, I'll post it again in "Waiting for Deezer to update Fan Art section...." I was thinking of posting it there in the first place, but since we were already talking about my particular drawing here, I decided on this thread instead.

Thanks.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2003, 12:33:40 AM »
Ok.

Print