Print

Author Topic: Japanese game imports  (Read 20944 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2008, 05:52:39 PM »
America does, so why the heck wouldn't Britain?
That was a joke.

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2008, 06:19:41 PM »
The only Japanese games I have are Super Game Boy 2, Yume Kojo Doki Doki Panic sealed FDS game. I want Lagrange Point for the Famicom. That's all the games I have from Japan. I h

Whoa! There was an SGB2?? I want one!

I hate to ask a stupid question but is it on the Snes?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2008, 07:09:21 PM »
Yup, and it plays GBC games. Too bad it only works on Japanese SNESes.

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2008, 07:12:56 PM »
Since I have a next to nothing chance of getting a Japanese Snes, I don't think I need the SGB2 then.. Oh well. I can add it to my list of things to look for if I ever visit Japan.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2008, 07:50:59 PM »
I didn't know it played GBC, I just knew it had a link cable.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2008, 10:13:28 PM »
Yup, and it plays GBC games. Too bad it only works on Japanese SNESes.
It doesn't play GBC games.  It works on American consoles if you break the tabs that prevent insertion, as previously mentioned in this thread.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2008, 09:00:33 AM »
Wait, what does a SGB2 do? I remember hearing that it played GBC games (from an apparently unreliable source).

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2008, 09:17:09 AM »
Quote from: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nintendo released the Super Game Boy 2 in 1998. Though it was widely sold in Japan, in the United States it was only available through mail-order. Additions included a link port (allowing the Super Game Boy 2 to connect with other Game Boys for multiplayer purposes), a green game link LED, and a red power LED indicator and different borders.
The different borders tell me that it's definitely a different BIOS ROM so I wonder why I haven't seen a dump of it.

And I'm guessing that by "mail-order" they poorly worded or misunderstood "import".
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:18:42 AM by Eclipsed Moon »

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2008, 01:24:43 PM »
I know there was one for the N64 that played GBC games, that was only released to the press (to get screenshots of GBC games for reviews). Can't remember where I saw it, though.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2008, 12:36:48 AM »
Wide Boy 64

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2008, 10:54:54 AM »
The only imports I have are:

-Chibi Maruko Chan (GB - not sure on the exact title)
-Super Nichibutsu Mahjong 2 (SNES)
-Sonic Drift 2 (Game Gear)
-Faselei! (Neo Geo Pocket Color)

I believe that's all.
Ditto used Machop!

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2008, 12:24:16 PM »
The Super Gameboy 2 will not play GBC only games and will work with a NTSC SNES if you get a Tri-Star (or Super 8. It gos by both names) you will have to modify it if you want it to work properly though. http://home.freeuk.net/markk/Consoles/Tri-Star_SGB_fix.txt The Super Gameboy article on wikipedia was written by me. I am also working on super Gameboy Database at http://board.gscentral.org/showthread.php?t=13695 which is 100 percent accurate and I usually update it when warranted. Take a look you might be surprised about some of the info on there. I made all those codes myself.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2008, 03:48:59 PM »
Uh? It already works with NTSC SNESes because that's what Japan uses.
Also, you linked an article about the original Game Boy Player working on a Tri-Star, not using a Tri-Star to make a SGB2 work on an American SNES.
That was a joke.

« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2008, 08:39:37 PM »
The Super Gameboy article on wikipedia was written by me.
I knew I should have looked before I quoted.

« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2008, 09:54:38 AM »
Uh? It already works with NTSC SNESes because that's what Japan uses.
Also, you linked an article about the original Game Boy Player working on a Tri-Star, not using a Tri-Star to make a SGB2 work on an American SNES.

The Super Game Boy 2 doesn't work on an American SNES itself, that's the first thing I tried when I got it. I have one question that makes no sense; when people in America bought it from QVC, how was supposed to be play it? The Tri-star method should work on a SGB2 I never tried it because I don't have a Tri-star but when I do, it'll be here and on my database as well.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 09:56:47 AM by nensondubois »
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Print