Print

Author Topic: Next 3-D Mario Game?  (Read 41446 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2007, 05:21:40 PM »
The Wii graphics are okay for me, really...

What surprised me when I finally sat down and played a PlayStation (the original) just to say I did (and because I had nothing better to do) was this: Despite all I'd heard about how inferior the N64's graphics were inferior compared to those of the PS1, I found myself cycling through a library of 3-D sidescrollers that looked actually worse than most N64 games. Rayman? Crash Bandicoot? People liked this better than the 64 why?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
I liked Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back...
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2007, 06:18:51 PM »
The Wii graphics are okay for me, really...

What surprised me when I finally sat down and played a PlayStation (the original) just to say I did (and because I had nothing better to do) was this: Despite all I'd heard about how inferior the N64's graphics were inferior compared to those of the PS1, I found myself cycling through a library of 3-D sidescrollers that looked actually worse than most N64 games. Rayman? Crash Bandicoot? People liked this better than the 64 why?

Yeah, I never could understood why so many people liked the PS1's extremely blocky graphics. I guess it was because it was "cool".
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2007, 08:48:25 PM »
Also... well, I mean, I knew that SM64 was the "first full 3-D platformer/game", or whatever, but I didn't really realize the impact of something like that 'till I played the PlayStation. Seriously, like I said, there's... well... what are the "full 3-D" games on that thing, anyway?

Also, I got a rude awakening when I discovered Rayman Arena was a remake of a PS game. Who knew?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

silverstarman

• Chock full of misinformation
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2007, 09:17:56 PM »
goodie: Because there are alot more good looking PS1 games than you think. Battle Arena Toshinden and Ridge Racer really had nice graphics for it's time, compared to Clockwork Knight and Virtua Fighter the Saturn's first two games, only released a few months before the playstation.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2007, 10:28:52 PM »
I'm talking about the fact that the Wii is considerably weaker than the competition. Just because the games are fun, doesn't mean that it can't have good graphics as well. We should get to have both. As for bringing down the cost of the system, that doesn't matter. They could have more powerful hardware, and still sell it at the same price, and it would sell just as well; probably even better, because the people who care about graphics would be buying it as well, and not just the casual gamers that are buying it for the dumb simple games that the Wii seems to be infested with.
Also, the weaker hardware prevents the 3rd parties from porting many games over.
Man, in case you haven't noticed, so-called "hardcore" gamers are buying just as many Wiis as casual gamers. Somehow graphics got way more important in your mind than most people's as of now. Although, like MB said, 3rd parties don't know what the heck they're doing (much like with last gen) but I still think you're confusing "good" graphics with "current cutting edge" graphics, which are really completely unnecessary. Wii has very good graphics as it is. Just because they aren't as hires as the stagnant HD systems doesn't mean they aren't good. GameCube had cutting edge graphics last generation, and the inferior PS2 still outsold everything, and that's really due to all the casual gamers buying it and buying weaksauce games for it. While it's true that Nintendo "could" sell Wii at a low price even with a more advanced graphics board, it would hurt their profits even worse than the Xbox hurt Microsoft and the PS3 is hurting Sony.
That was a joke.

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2007, 08:30:50 PM »
Why are we fighting about how graphics look on Wii from PS3 and 360?! Who cares!! graphics are not what makes a game good. It's the gameplay. Why do you think we still play Super Mario Bros still? Because of the gameplay.
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2007, 08:32:12 PM »
Yeah, that's just the point I was trying to get across, actually.
That was a joke.

volbound1700

• Banned
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2007, 04:43:24 PM »
I think Wii has good graphics... but then again PS3 and Xbox 360 do have better.  However, graphic are not everything.  Most the early games are still better then the ones we have now. 
Go Vols!

volbound1700

• Banned
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2007, 04:46:11 PM »
In response to everyone, there are many factors that let Nintendo start losing the war with Sony and Microsoft, graphics was apart of it as well.

Main factor may have been CDs were easier to put games on then Cartridges and that led Sony to take the lead when Nintendo was making 64.  Sorry I was a jerk about the game, I was just tired of hearing my ideas flamed and especially hearing the smash brothers comparison because my idea and smash brothers are nothing a like. 
Go Vols!

« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2007, 05:01:45 PM »
Sorry I was a jerk about the game, I was just tired of hearing my ideas flamed and especially hearing the smash brothers comparison because my idea and smash brothers are nothing a like. 

I know I might not be met with an equally calm response, but your ideas were not being flamed. The dictionary definition is below.

Flaming: is the act of sending or posting messages that are deliberately hostile and insulting, usually in the social context of a discussion board on the Internet.

I've looked at all the responses in this topic...none of them seemed deliberately hostile or insulting, other than the "idiot" comments directed at Corleone.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 05:08:12 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

~Lavender

• What is light urple?
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2007, 06:01:05 PM »
It's really pathetic to always see these Xbox/PS fans joining Nintendo related forums, just to come and start something pointless.

You guys can't just accept other people's opinions on games, I've noticed that a lot about Xbox...or PS fans whatever, even in real life. But...of course Im not speaking for all of you, but a lot of you. It's very sad, and ridiculous. I have never seen any fan of Nintendo go around and try to make a 20 day debate with Microsoft or Sony players. But, that may be from my own point of view, someone correct me If I am wrong.

Only Mic/Sony fans try to do this, and not to sound mean.. but it's stupid. I'll never forget the day I was talking to a friend about the Gamecube at school by the basketball courts, and a boy, that neither of us even knew comes up with the ball in his hand and starts ranting about how Xbox is better. After much trying, he gets angered that he couldn't persuade us and tries to get his friends or whatever to come up to us and agree with him.

The next day I walked out of my 2nd period, and was about to go to my 3rd. The same boy runs up to the door I was at, and tells me to stay. I just kept walking on, and he runs to catch up to me, opens his backpack and shows me some Boxart (Case) of an Xbox game. Then he says "Better than that Mario" When I tried to say something back he started talking over me with jibberish to avoid hearing my comeback. I'm telling you, that was just beyond pathetic. Im not going to waste my time telling any more stupid things he did though.

But yeah, that was just an example. Seriously, life is short. Why spend all this time arguing about games or consoles? What's the benefit? And if maybe you were able to convince these Mario or Nintendo lovers that Microsoft is better, it would do nothing but satisfy you. Your not winning a car or anything, so just stop doing it. I can understand politics, but debate on video games? Sure, it's not bad to do it for a little while but when it stretches out to like 10 days then you seriously have issues.

You already proved you had issues when you got mad at how everyone was disagreeing with you, they weren't even flaming. Don't sign up for a place that focuses on a topic you don't like, just to start fighting.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2007, 06:40:36 PM »
Only Mic/Sony fans try to do this
I'm sorry, but this is far from true.  Fanboys of all types suck.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2007, 07:08:56 PM »
I'd like to point out to volbound that Nintendo is in no way losing.
That was a joke.

silverstarman

• Chock full of misinformation
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2007, 07:43:41 PM »
Nintendo isn't losing, but Microsoft is pretty much at the same height. Nintendo has good games, more games, and family oriented, but Microsoft has more "mature" games. Kids seem to find all the gore and language ammusing. Do you know how many youngins' play M rated games nowadays? I saw a 6 year old kid buy grand theft auto for the PS2!

Print