Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Galaxy 2  (Read 101187 times)

« Reply #180 on: March 22, 2010, 03:01:40 PM »
JD gave an even less substantial reply.

Largely because of the average response I get (with typos, to boot) when I attempt to coolly, logically argue a valid point.  More seriously, I agree that the question concerning unofficial, repetitive game previews needed to be asked, but I don't see any reason why they exist either.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 03:04:10 PM by jdaster64 »
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #181 on: March 23, 2010, 07:02:29 PM »
So, no hub world (http://www.thelostgamer.com/2010/03/22/super-mario-galaxy-2-drops-world-hub/, by the way, can somebody tell me how I can condense links into a single word?).

I guess a map screen would make it faster to reach levels, but I think it's at a great cost.  For 3D platformers, the hub enhances that sense of exploration.  And they really help get you immersed within the game world.  Remember in Super Mario Galaxy when you found the Toad Brigade, and then how you saw them build their little space craft in the garage?  And then remember when you saved Luigi, and then after grabbing a few stars, the Mailtoad gave you a letter from Luigi to save him?  These little details just help get you more into the game.  Getting rid of this just to make it more blatantly clear where to go seems like a waste.  And really, how hard was it to find the levels?  If you can't navigate a hub world, should you even be playing platformers?

I'm not saying this will ruin the game, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #182 on: March 23, 2010, 07:19:30 PM »
So, no hub world (http://www.thelostgamer.com/2010/03/22/super-mario-galaxy-2-drops-world-hub/, by the way, can somebody tell me how I can condense links into a single word?).

"[url =(yourlinkhere)](Your word here)[/url]" Remember to remove the space right after "url;" I put that in there you wouldn't see:

(Your word here)

...and yeah, the lack of a hub world is disappointing, to say the least.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 07:21:08 PM by Turtlekid1 »
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #183 on: March 23, 2010, 07:27:40 PM »
Agreed completely. Peach's Castle, Delfino Plaza, and, to a lesser extent, Rosalina's space station each contributed a substantial amount of depth to their respective games. They really gave exploration and experimentation free rein, all while adding to the storyline. It's difficult to imagine even the standard "save-the-princess" plot to consistently progress without a standard setting for events to carry out.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #184 on: March 23, 2010, 07:36:13 PM »
depth...storyline
Now we know why Miyamoto didn't include the hub.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #185 on: March 23, 2010, 09:58:31 PM »
That reminds me: Where do people on gaming websites get off making "previews" of games like SMG2, when anyone who's followed the game at all knows it's going to be the same screenshots and bare information, rearranged with a few opinions thrown in?

What's worse is when someone puts a preview video on Youtube using Windows Movie Maker. You know, the generic pale blue background/white Arial font saying, "xD lol mehrio screenz OMG LOOK", and it has some crappy quality screencaps with some unfitting music slapped over the whole thing.

Anyway, since I've thought on it, no hub world isn't that big of a deal for me, really, but Miyamoto's reasoning is what strikes me as extremely odd. He said it's "...for the player's convenience. We want players to focus on the joy of the action instead of getting to each game course." Seriously? How the hell much more can you friggin' focus on the gameplay? I mean, is Miyamoto gonna change it to where the second you press 'A' after creating a save file it drops you into Galaxy 1-1? Are we going to have a simple, little 30 second commercial-length cutscene at the beginning that is stale like NSMB Wii's?

As I've asked a bajillion times before, "all we wunt iz gaemplay, amirite???"
Formerly quite reasonable.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #186 on: March 23, 2010, 10:41:53 PM »
QUESTION

Why do you impersonate bad spelling and grammar any time you wish to represent someone whose opinion is not your own
That was a joke.

« Reply #187 on: March 24, 2010, 12:20:36 AM »
I mean, is Miyamoto gonna change it to where the second you press 'A' after creating a save file it drops you into Galaxy 1-1? Are we going to have a simple, little 30 second commercial-length cutscene at the beginning that is stale like NSMB Wii's?

As I recall, Miyamoto even hated Donkey Kong Country for its lack of gameplay (perhaps Cranky is a personification of this view), so it wouldn't surprise me.  While I don't think that a storyline is necessary, a 3D Mario game sans hub does seem a bit disappointing, though for some reason I can't quite put my finger on.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #188 on: March 24, 2010, 09:08:07 AM »
Well, if the hub was just going to be as bare-bones as the Observatory was, I can't say this news is all that distressing. Besides, this'll help differentiate it from the first game, and having a hub world, only to cram four or five linear Galaxies into the same "portal" never seemed right to me. I'll agree that it could dampen the impact of it being an actual, you know, 3D game in 2010, but hey.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #189 on: March 24, 2010, 01:05:25 PM »
QUESTION

Why do you impersonate bad spelling and grammar any time you wish to represent someone whose opinion is not your own

I've already explained it because someone has already bitched me out about it (but it was more about using capital letters than worrying about spelling and grammar), so I guess you could find the thread it's in to figure out why. I forgot which thread, though. Oh well.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2010, 08:29:16 PM »
Holy crap.

240+ stars in Galaxy 2. Super Guide included and it's much, much harder. Good.

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=118670
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 08:33:14 PM by Trainman »

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #191 on: March 26, 2010, 08:40:06 PM »
Quote from: Miyamoto
Because my two children have already left home, unfortunately nobody was kind enough to play New Super Mario Bros. Wii with me.
:'(
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #192 on: March 26, 2010, 08:46:16 PM »
More than 240 Stars, to be particular.

In other words, #241 will be a super-easy unlockable bonus mission, like #121 on the original
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #193 on: March 26, 2010, 08:47:15 PM »
I wonder if they're just counting the same 120 twice - once through for Mario, and once for Luigi.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #194 on: March 26, 2010, 09:36:20 PM »
Nooo, you think?!

...Okay, maybe that's a bit harsh, but I find it extremely unlikely that there's going to be twice as many just-Mario stars.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 09:41:31 PM by ShadowBrain »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print