Print

Author Topic: Ever wanted an online multiplayer Mario game?  (Read 1990 times)

« on: June 16, 2003, 02:38:08 PM »
Guess what? Now it's done! You can now play the classic game Mario Bros. in battle mode online! So far only 2 player is supported on the internet, but I'm trying to get in 3 and 4 player! Just download the new release of the game here.

The actual connecting is a bit tricky right now; you have to know the time of someone's sessions and either of your IPs to connect. But the test I did with someone on another forum went well, so it's playable. You've also got some new moves like backflipping and sliding to avoid enemies and the other players. This took a while to develop with Dark Basic and all(added a good 300 lines of code........)

Note: Version 1.20 won't work online with this new one, it's version 1.21.

Edited by - CashCrazed on 6/16/2003 1:43:03 PM

"I'm a stupid fatty and I like to play with my Easy Bake oven." - frostbite

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 07:14:57 PM »
*sigh* Nobody's interested........Might as well make some AI for the game so I can play with myself.......

(I just noticed there's an unintentional and rather inappropriate pun in there........)

Edited by - CashCrazed on 6/16/2003 6:15:37 PM

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 09:19:15 PM »
hey i'm interested

I see mushroom people!
 I always have the latest info.Did you know that I farted?PPPPPPHHHHMmmmmmmmmhhh!!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 09:28:38 PM »
Hey, I'll play sometime. That would be cool.
That was a joke.

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 09:45:35 PM »
Here's how good my AI is(which is not very yet). It's kinda hard to program an AI for Mario Bros. Battle, since there's so much to keep track of. Right now the COM can only evade one enemy at a time, two enemies nearby means it's gonna die soon. Here's how well each skill runs in it so far on a scale of 1-10(1 being very stupid and 10 being inhuman, or 0 if not supported yet)

General navigating: 2
Picking up/throwing people: 10(I was seriously surprised at how good the COM was at this..........)
Evasion of enemies: 4
Using special moves: 2
Knocking over enemies: 4
Destroyed flipped enemies: 5
Using POW Block: 0

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2003, 12:23:03 AM »
Cool new features, but single player is a little sluggish now.  I know your not worried about that mode now, but I saw you plan on an adventure mode.  That sounds cool.  I have a sort of adventure mode planned for my game too.  It's gonna be in a part MarioRPG and part SMB/SMB3 style.

Anyway keep up the good work.  I would like to play multiplayer with someone sometime.  Maybe people could post there IP and time they want to play in this thread.

What version of DB did you use to program you game?  I could compile your older versions, but not this one.  Maybe I should stop downloading free versions and shell out the money for the Pro version.

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2003, 09:48:51 AM »
Sluggish? Don't know how that happened. I'll have to make a speed adjuster or something.

I use version 1.10 of DB. The free versions only go up to 1.07, which doesn't have multiplayer commands. If I got DBPro, I'd have to rewrite my whole code though.

Print