Print

Author Topic: Mario Bros. Online  (Read 9737 times)

« on: July 27, 2005, 11:16:44 PM »
I've got my game back together, and believe me, this is the best Mario fangame you'll ever play! I've worked on it since, well, at least junior high, although only a tiny bit at a time. And now, I've finally got Internet play into a workable state.

You can find the download(only the first link works) and a ton of screenshots here:

http://www.geocities.com/synnethrelmn/download.html

Since I finally got a game server running, I can run this online myself now! I'm planning a time frame where I'll run the game server, and people will join and play me. I already played this online yesterday with my cousin who lives on the other side of the state, and it wasn't too bad. I need people from farther away than that to test how it handles lag, though. I already posted this on another forum, so if you're lucky, you may meet up with one of the people from there.

I've already planned the times. On Friday I'll be running the game server from 3:00 to 5:00 PM central time. For those of you too lazy to convert, it is:

Pacific: 1-3 PM

Mountain: 2-4 PM

Central: 3-5 PM

Eastern: 4-6 PM

INSTRUCTIONS: During this time period, open the game and if you'd like to continue to read the info here, hit Space at the main menu to take it off of fullscreen mode. Then click "Network/Internet Play", and then click "Internet TCP/IP Connection for DirectPlay" on the next menu. Enter your nickname when it asks you, then hit "J" for join. My IP address is 216.74.210.242, so type that in when it asks you, and (hopefully) you'll see my game once it connects. Hit "1" and enter to join it if it's there, otherwise, well, either the server's full with 4 people or you can't connect(hopefully it'll be the former). Once you do that, you'll be in the chatroom with me! I'd suggest reading the readme before you play so you don't complain about other people using manuevers you didn't know were there.

"I'm a stupid fatty and I like to play with my Easy Bake oven." - frostbite

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 05:44:09 AM »
Hi, I was wondering if you did this game with C++ or something. I can probably make a repleca with Flash if I had the code.

Also I found a weakness to the Boss battle, an experienced player can just stay on his head the whole time

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 11:45:07 AM »
Nope, this game was done in a game creator called DarkBASIC. If you look at source, "umario.dba", you'll see that it's written in a BASIC-type language.

Yes, if you're good enough, you CAN get 20 consecutive jumps on the *normal* last boss's head. But he's not really meant to be that hard anyway. The last *secret* boss, however, it is nearly impossible to stay on his head the whole time, what with the falling blocks.

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 03:04:56 PM »
Last boss is bowser right, I'm sure everyone saw the sprite sheet whenever it cuts to a new scene. And you unlock him by never dieing throughout the whole game right?

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 03:12:18 PM »
Didn't work, the IP address didn't work, I have wireless internet that might be a complication and also for the records I triple checked the IP address, with dots and without dots didn't work : (

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 03:28:22 PM »
Nope, the last boss is not Bowser, he's the first secret boss. You learn how to get the secret bosses by beating the other bosses within a certain time limit. For the phase 50 boss, you'll have to beat him within about 30 seconds. For Bowser, 45 seconds. And for the very last boss, 50 seconds. Other boss tips can be found here

The reason it didn't work is because I'm not the running game server yet! Try doing it again tomorrow between the times listed above.

Edited by - CashCrazed on 7/28/2005 2:34:59 PM

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 04:00:41 PM »
One more thing, when I jump on Luigi I sometimes land on his soldiers and die and sometimes when I get hammer and fire suits I fall through the floor.

Do the hammers and fireballs do anything?

If you want I can make this game a forums

Edited by - kurtvegita on 7/28/2005 3:01:25 PM

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 04:27:56 PM »
"One more thing, when I jump on Luigi I sometimes land on his soldiers and die and sometimes when I get hammer and fire suits I fall through the floor."

If you meant soldiers as in the spinies, you're supposed to die when you land on them. If you meant "shoulders", you'll usually die if you clip him on the side like that. The game may let you have a hit here and there while doing that because of the engine's screwy collision detection, but don't base your strategy on doing that.

The falling through the floor while grabbing some items is one of the two known bugs I left in the game. It's also a product of the bad collision system, but since I have no control over how DarkBASIC does things like that, I'm having trouble fixing it.

In battle mode, shooting other people with fireballs will make them jump, or if they're in the middle of a jump, immediately fall, just like they did in SMBDX's VS mode. The hammers are better though. Hit somebody with one of them to reverse their controls and prevent jumping for a few seconds.

I don't think my game is popular enough yet to deserve its own forums. I made some a long time ago, but they never got any more than 10 posts.

Edited by - CashCrazed on 7/28/2005 3:43:56 PM

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 07:17:33 AM »
Well that explains that. Well anyway you can jump off Luigi's shoulders too (sorry made a typo the first time)

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 11:29:24 AM »
Is there a way to turn off the coin wins? And I was wondering what do the different color POW blocks do?

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 11:52:08 AM »
No, you can't turn off coin wins, that's what makes battle mode balanced. Otherwise, what incentive would people have for going out and killing monsters?

As for the POW blocks, the green ones only flip enemies, and the rest also do something to all people on the ground at the time. Blue stuns people, red makes everyone jump, and yellow shakes everyone up(same effect as getting hit with a hammer).

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 12:08:37 PM »
I killed a computer by throwing him into the edge of the platform (bottom one) and jumped at him. There was no enemy

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 01:13:39 PM »
Thank you for making this game! Not only is it fun, but it reminded me of a neat game that I was working on, but abandoned: Mario vs. Sonic World Tour! It's this neat game where you control a squad of either Mario or Sonic characters and you can pick up various power-ups (including different weapons) to use against the other squad. It's about 48% complete, and the only playable characters are Mario, Sonic, Toad, Shadow, Luigi and Knuckles.

Well, this is where the signature goes...
every

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 02:42:24 PM »
you wern't on today : (

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005, 04:39:17 PM »
Ok, there is something seriously wrong with Shadow Mario's IQ, you can jump on his head and not move and keep on pounding away at him

My record for pounding Shadow Mario is 11 can anyone beat it?

Print