Print

Author Topic: Epic Games CEO Disliked Mario Galaxy  (Read 22350 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: April 21, 2008, 02:35:05 PM »

Some of you might have heard about Epic Games CEO Mike Capps thoughts concerning the Wii, and I would say most of us don't entirely agree with what he said to say. There was one comment in particular I wanted to highlight to Mario fans. Mr. Capps didn't like Mario, and denounced its most unique feature, saying he wished for a "button instead of wiggle and all that kind of [expletive]."

Do you readers agree with that sentiment? Would Super Mario Galaxy have been better without the Wii remote features? Did the motion controls and pointer influence you either way? 

Link: portableplanet.co.uk
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 02:37:09 PM by MEGAߥTE »
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 03:51:43 PM »
Sections any section that involved tilting the Wiimote would not have been nearly as entertaining or challenging if we were to simply use the analog stick. I can't say I prefer shaking the Wiimote to execute the spin move, but I certainly didn't think it merited being labeled [expletive].

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 04:40:07 PM »
I don't think SMG benefited very much from Wii controls, and it could have easily done without them.  On the other hand, they didn't ruin the game.  Other games certainly have benefited, where they were much more suitable.

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 06:01:44 PM »
Tell that guy to go play some PS3 since it doesn't use motion control, because you can tell he hates it.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 06:18:24 PM »
The PS3 uses a very limited amount of motion control for some games-- and I'm sure you don't need to tell him already.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 06:52:46 PM »
And of course Sony just threw that in at the last minute when they noticed Nintendo was doing it.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 06:54:28 PM »
Yeah... PS3 motion control blows.

Honestly, I think the "motion controls" was SMG's saving grace in the long run (and it's used the Wii Remote better than any other game yet).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 08:56:41 PM »
Tell that guy to go play some PS3 since it doesn't use motion control, because you can tell he hates it.
Dude, there was a game on PS3 (Lair) where you steered using ONLY motion-control.

Perhaps you meant 360.

I say "was" because they just patched it to support analog sticking.

-Lizard Dude

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 08:59:58 PM »
Honestly, I think the "motion controls" was SMG's saving grace in the long run
SMG's awesomeness had nothing to do with motion controls.

It had to do with neat gravity tricks and a more linear 3D platformer experience.

(and it's used the Wii Remote better than any other game yet).
Nope, not better than Smooth Moves.

Not even close.

Nothing is.

-Lizard Dude

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 09:05:36 PM »
I'm still not convinced ShadowBrain actually plays games.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 09:17:05 PM »
Shaking to do the Star Spin feels so natural that I end up trying to do it whenever I play Super Mario World. That's gotta count for something. Also, the rolling and bubble sections would have been either too easy or too frustrating with an analog stick.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 11:44:20 PM »
Well they were certainly designed for the Wii Remote. Still, I'm with LD.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 03:05:40 PM »
I have not, and probably never will, play Smooth Moves, so for me:

SMG=Best Wii Remote game.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 04:15:55 PM »
Lots of stuff uses the remote better than Galaxy.

No More Heroes, Wii Sports, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Party 8, all the lightgunning games...

Galaxy is not really based around the motion/pointing controls at all like the games above are.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 06:31:59 PM »
Lots of stuff uses the remote better than Galaxy.

No More Heroes, Wii Sports, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Party 8, all the lightgunning games...

Galaxy is not really based around the motion/pointing controls at all like the games above are.

In my opinion these games have the best use of the Wiimote's motion sensing: 

Wii Sports
Kororinpa: Marble Madness
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

I am very much looking forward to Boom Blox.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 10:23:08 PM »
Nope, not better than Smooth Moves.
I meant, like, a more, shall we say, traditional game (levels/missions, plot, etc.). But I still love Smooth Moves, don't get me wrong.

Why?

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 09:11:49 PM »
Yeah... PS3 motion control blows.

I couldn't say it better myself. The way the PS3 controller is designed, it doesn't merit very well for motion controls. Nintendo knew this when they designed the Wii Remote. Go read the "Iwata Asks..." interviews, they talk about how the Wii Remote was originally going to be like a PS3-style controller, but the idea was scrapped.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 10:28:15 PM »
the Wii Remote was originally going to be like a PS3-style controller, but the idea was scrapped.
...How?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 06:15:02 PM »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 06:29:21 PM »
He said "plays." None of them show you playing anything, so I'm not convinced. :P
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 07:15:47 PM »
I knew someone would say that...

Wiiario

• Has seen Kirby naked
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 07:53:10 PM »
How do we know this is Shadowbrain's stuff? I don't see him. This could be someone elses room. He found these online I bet!
I really don't care much for logic.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 08:37:41 PM »
...LOL?

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 09:53:01 PM »
And if that is your stuff, then how did you afford all of it?
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 06:31:25 AM »
Wait, so you guys are serious?

Well, I didn't buy it all--Some I did buy, some is joint purchases between my brother and I (or he bought it and let me have the box) some is birthday/Christmas/some other holiday presents (myself/my brother), and some is just stuff I found at a friend's house/garage sale. Some people think that we're spoiled, but we're not. We're just thrifty and have lots of generous elderly relaives.

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 04:17:03 AM »
Nintendo DS Browser!?!?!? And I thought nobody bought that.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 06:19:59 AM »
*Starts seizing*  Why can't those games be mine!?!?!?  WHY!?!?!?!?

*Drool Drool*

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 06:26:07 AM »
Nintendo DS Browser!?!?!? And I thought nobody bought that.
Well, in retrospect, I'm not sure why I did. It's as slow as heck, the reception is increcibly picky, and you can't get video. Stick with the Wii Browser, kids.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 10:14:02 AM »
From your collection I have to say that bafflingly, you have great taste in games! O_o
For the most part anyway.
That was a joke.

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 02:51:02 PM »
Reality time. I'm with Chup on that. Great collection.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2008, 04:52:14 PM »
Thanks, all!

For the most part anyway.
Oh, you mean like Pokemon Channel? Well... let's just say that when I was younger, if it had "Nintendo" on it, I bought it.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2008, 07:44:07 PM »
That's an interesting N64 controller you've got there. I think that color was called Jungle? I have a clear red one, but I can't remember what the color was called. Oh well.

I also see you have your CGN and Wii games sorted alphabetically, but not your DS games. But hey, neither are mine. Mine are sorted by color (a lot of my stuff is actually).
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2008, 08:33:47 PM »
That's an interesting N64 controller you've got there. I think that color was called Jungle?
Yeah, something like that... it's back from when they had that big marketing campaign for their awesome new translucent N64 controllers (there was this whold thing in Nintendo Power talking about what kind of gamer you probably were depending on the color you chose. Like, red was for the hardcore, 007 set, or something). I got it after I had... a moment, shall we say, while fighting Bongo Bongo in OoT.

I also see you have your CGN and Wii games sorted alphabetically, but not your DS games.
Oh yeah, good point... Well, I don't play 'em much, anyway (heck, my DS Lite's in that box in the closet).

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2008, 07:26:29 PM »
I only pick up my DS to play Chain of Memories and fight my rival on weekends in Pearl nowadays.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2008, 11:17:50 PM »
Man, seeing Shadow's collection all neat and organized like that makes me want to organize all my own stuff... Also, in retrospect, I shouldn't have sold a bunch of my Gamecube/N64 games over the years. It was tough not having a job in high school. Oh well. Now that I've got money and am in college and all that jazz, I can buy it all back.

Oh and after all that, you don't have any NES games, Shadow?
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2008, 08:56:25 PM »
Well, until recently, not technically, but my grandparents had a stash that was a combination of my dad's games and assorted ones picked up over the years. They weren't using 'em and they said I could have 'em, so now I've got a decent crop of NES (a while back, there was twice as many, but I sold them. To Game Crazy. And got $30-something. Among them was Metal Gear. *Bangs head on table*) titles. That, and an another Game Boy, my parent's NES, a Genesis, two Zappers, and a spare SNES.

Just for the record, I was perusing the forums, saw Forest Guy had asked a question while I was on vacation, and... yeah. If anyone's wondering why I posted here.

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2008, 06:29:14 PM »
I have at least 75 NES games but only a few have boxes. I have some sleeves and two NES consoles with one being heavily modded to suit my needs. I have a gray Zapper, a few controllers and a gold Game Genie with it's book that has several pages missing. I have some other NES stuffs as well.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 06:31:05 PM by nensondubois »
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2013, 05:14:27 AM »
I would say most of us don't entirely agree with what he said to say.

What he said to say?

Geez, this guy needs to take some language courses and maybe come back a few years later and realize how bad he was at typing...

Because what he typed was an EPIC fail LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

Print