Print

Author Topic: Annoying Voiceovers  (Read 13797 times)

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2011, 04:26:20 PM »
Star Fox Adventures. Almost all the voices are the aural equivalent of...something bad. Slippy's voice is so screechy you'd think he's caught in a giant...super...blender...or something. Fox sounds really goofy, and the Dinosaur Speech in the cutscenes (up until you get the translator) is just too ridiculous to take seriously. At least it's so bad it's funny, though.
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 07:52:03 PM »
Annoying lack of voiceovers: Tomoya, the main character of Clannad, isn't voiced in any version of the game, be it Full Voice on PC, or the PS2 or Xbox 360 ports. Nearly every other character is voiced, which leads me to believe it's a matter of immersion, but in practice I'd rather have him be voiced.

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 08:56:21 PM »
Slippy's voice

Oh god yes. I can't stand Slippy's voice. What's bad is that you (more or less) need him to get through the game's harder puzzles.

Fox

I don't have a problem with Fox. He does sound a bit goofy but it's bearable.

Also, Falco. You don't have to listen to him until the final scene, yet I still find his voice the most annoying. I guess he's from Space Brooklyn?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 09:16:15 PM »
I hate that the (unnecessarily) trademarked words aren't translated to Dinosaur language. As if Dinosaur Planet wasn't enough of a disbelief-suspension-shattering name in and of itself. The language would actually sound pretty decent if it wasn't "De-edo sud tovouk GENERAL SCALES!" Reminds me of the Spanish Sportscenter skit on SNL a few weeks ago.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 11:01:27 PM »
I guess he's from Space Brooklyn?
Is that like Space Australia?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2011, 05:54:05 PM »
Space Australia? What, like Jeice?

I kinda like CastleVania: Symphony of the Night's voices. As in, not in the "so cheesy it's hilarious" kinda way. It's not THAT good, but rarely gets bad. Lots of people laugh hard upon seeing them, though. Now, Star Ocean on the other hand...
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2011, 05:01:08 PM »
Noel Vermillion in BlazBlue sounds like a twelve-year-old. Bluuuuugh.

(I haven't heard her Japanese voice)

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2011, 06:15:38 PM »
She doesn't sound any better in japanese. But I wouldn't expect anything less from Weeaboo Fighter CS.

How about one for annoyance at lack of voice overs? 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors would've benefited from some voiced scenes instead of every single scene being text. Especially since I'd like to know just how many of the cast members aren't japanese. I kind of figured Clover and Snake are from the UK due to their clothing style, but there's no evidence for that. June, Ace and Lotus seem non-japanese until their real names are revealed. Seven seems like the only wild card in the group based on his outfit.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2011, 10:07:07 PM »
I hear a bunch of people are annoyed that the new visual novel TYPE-MOON is releasing later this year isn't going to be voiced. Keeping in mind that:
-no professional VN company releases new unvoiced PC games anymore (in fact, oftentimes you get rereleases of older games where the big draw is added voices)
-TYPE-MOON is filthy rich just from the recent success of the Kara no Kyoukai movies, ignoring all the money they've made from Tsukihime, Melty Blood, and Fate/stay night
-this game was announced years ago and has been delayed several times

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2011, 06:12:25 AM »
She doesn't sound any better in japanese.
Yes, she does. A lot better.

I figure Platinum in English will be far worse than any Noel voice, though, which is a shame because she's a character I actually enjoy playing. Not looking forward to hearing that when CS2 comes out in the US.

Also, what is with ASW and getting worse announcers for later iterations of their games? Like, I loved the announcer in the earlier versions of Guilty Gear XX, but then I played Accent Core Plus and found they changed the announcer to some new guy that doesn't sound nearly as good. Same for BlazBlue - Calamity Trigger's announcer was fine, but the one in Continuum Shift is awful.

THE WHEEL OF FATE IS TURNING
WEEBLE ONE
ACTION

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2011, 03:21:35 AM »
Guilty Gear 2: Overture has terrible English voices (made worse by the script itself being pretty bad - it's not a game you play for the story) and a terrible announcer.

Curiously, Battle Fantasia (another Arc System Works game whose 360 port was released around the same time as GG2) lacks English voices entirely, aside from the announcer (who is awesome).

The voiceclips for allies in some of the games I've been playing recently can get very annoying. The two big examples right now are BrĂ¼tal Legend and Earth Defense Force 2017; the former has roving bands of Ironheade soldiers who call out to you every time you pass them on the road, while the latter has squadmates who keep repeating the same annoying lines, only in different voices.

cosmic_c

• EAGLES SCREAM!
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2011, 05:12:11 PM »
I hate that the (unnecessarily) trademarked words aren't translated to Dinosaur language. As if Dinosaur Planet wasn't enough of a disbelief-suspension-shattering name in and of itself. The language would actually sound pretty decent if it wasn't "De-edo sud tovouk GENERAL SCALES!" Reminds me of the Spanish Sportscenter skit on SNL a few weeks ago.

I'm guessing your a fan JonT.?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2012, 02:05:08 PM »
I've been playing a lot of BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend this past week, and while the game is excellent, constantly having to hear English voices from other players' characters online is a real pain. While some characters have decent English voices (Rachel Alucard's voice fits the character perfectly, and Relius Clover's voice isn't too bad), a couple of main characters like Noel (who I mentioned before) and Ragna have terrible voices, and Iron Tager just sounds like Captain America.

Oddly, the voices people select also make it easy to tell who's going to be a serious challenge; people who use the English voices usually aren't as good as the people who set the voice-acting to Japanese at the start and never look back.

(They changed the default announcer again for this game, too! What the hell, ASW!)

Print