Print

Author Topic: Did the pre-E3 Nintendo Direct reveal new elements in New Super Mario Bros. Mii?  (Read 6626 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: June 03, 2012, 07:55:30 PM »
A few hours ago, Nintendo broadcast a pre-E3 edition of Nintendo Direct to showcase some of the features of Wii U. While Nintendo President Satoru Iwata talked about how the new "Miiverse" will interact with games, viewers were treated to about 15 seconds of New Super Mario Bros. Mii footage, which ended with a look at a map screen that contained text messages from Miis.

Hooray for Catherine

First of all, there appears to be some sort of an achievement system planned, as evidenced by the orange text bubble that reads, "Cleared in under 100 seconds!" above Catherine's post.

Next, let's take a look at the two posts surrounding Catherine's achievement:

Michael: "A baby Yoshi that balloons up to carry you? Too cute!"
Thomas: "OK, being a flying squirrel is WAY more fun than it should be!"

The new baby Yoshi ability sounds plausible, but what is Thomas talking about? Assuming he's not confusing Tanooki Mario for a squirrel, does this mean Mario will have a flying squirrel power-up?

It's possible that the Mii messages are just shown as examples, but we may not know for sure until E3 or even later.

We've posted more screen captures below. You can watch the full Nintendo Direct video on Nintendo's YouTube channel.

Running Jumping Stomping Oops Tough Koopa
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:22:29 AM by Deezer »

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 08:27:57 PM »
Sounds to me like some non-longstanding-Mario-fans describing the Raccoon Suit and Yoshi hatching, which are both at least somewhat plausible.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 08:37:14 PM »
Hmmm.. Those last two screens make me think these are just stock messages. You don't get to write them yourself. The game has several pre-written messages it throws out when you do certain things in the game (dying to the Koopa, thus the Koopa message from the last screen is displayed).
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 11:23:42 PM »
They're from other people playing the game. Some games will have Miiverse features like that directly integrated into the game; with the ones that aren't, you can still access the Miiverse at any time with the Home button to talk to people through text or video chat, with PC and mobile integration within a few months of launch. Like this hipster.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 12:53:05 AM »
Super Mario Bros. and Demon's Souls had a baby!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 09:39:14 AM »
Super Mario's Souls?

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 07:28:59 PM »
Rated E10+.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 07:44:34 PM »
This has to be "New Super Mario World."  There is no other option given the map, mountain, and flying squirrel (cape). 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 12:15:21 AM »
That makes me wonder. Often, a suit power-up will work as a better version of a non-suit power-up; the Tanooki Suit to Raccoon Mario and the Penguin Suit to Ice Mario. I wonder if the cape will return and the supposed Flying Squirrel Suit will be a superior version with more features?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 02:28:15 PM »
The answer to the question posed in the topic: Yes.

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 08:34:17 PM »
What you said it is very interesting.I like it.

Print