Print

Author Topic: Pokemon Topic  (Read 369007 times)

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #375 on: April 11, 2010, 07:20:08 PM »
I haven't been disappointed by a main entry Pokemon game so far so I'm picking this up for sure.

Yeah, I'm probably a complete cancer for having that mindset, but whatever. I enjoy the games and have no real reason to stop playing if others are still playing and willing to battle/trade with me.

Yeah, it's awful to keep buying games you enjoy.

I'm looking forward to this game and will surely enjoy it.

« Reply #376 on: April 11, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
The day they begin using timed hits/action command/real-time combat elements is the only day I'll stop buying Pokemon games.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #377 on: April 11, 2010, 08:05:16 PM »
So for now, I'll just watch as each new Pokemon gets released, as well as story, "Evil" team (which, btw, hasn't been a real threat since Aqua & Magma), NPCs, and American names get released.
A guy trying to destroy the universe and remake it without emotion or spirit isn't a threat?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #378 on: April 11, 2010, 08:19:35 PM »
A guy trying to destroy the universe and remake it without emotion or spirit isn't a threat?

That was the Ginga-Dan (which is the Galactic's Japanese name, far superior & cooler sounding) plot in Platinum only (which I pretend doesn't exist).

In Diamond & Pearl, I specifically remember them wanting to colonize space, something I dream about seeing during my lifetime.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #379 on: April 11, 2010, 08:42:15 PM »
"Ginga-Dan" sounds like the stage-name of a gay stripper.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #380 on: April 11, 2010, 09:28:03 PM »
It's also part of this semi-boycott I have with the English names of D/P/Pt. NoA refuses to stop this silly game of naming the gym leaders a "pun-ish" name depending on their Type specialties. I mean, there was NOTHING wrong with "Melissa." She looked like a Melissa, and it even seemed like Game Freak did them a favor by already giving her an American name but nope. They had to go change it to "Fantina" just for the sake of their precious Pun names. Same thing with Roark, Byron, and Volkner. All of them I'd prefer to call by their Japanese name.

As for Ginga-Dan, well, "Ginga" translates to "Galaxy" and there wasn't anything wrong with calling them "Team Galaxy" but nope, had to be change happy.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #381 on: April 12, 2010, 01:26:27 AM »
They couldn't use Team Galaxy in the US because that name was already trademarked internationally by Marathon Studios.

As for the names, do you honestly think the series would be as popular without streamlined, localized names? I don't know how many kids know what a Lizardon is, but I know plenty who think Charizard is cool.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #382 on: April 12, 2010, 10:47:48 AM »
I'm not saying don't change them (unless they're already localized in the first place, such as Melissa/Fantina), I'm just saying don't give them stupid names that aren't names to begin with (Roark, Volkner, Maylene, and much more) just to be silly with their type specialties.

« Reply #383 on: April 12, 2010, 11:08:36 AM »
The P.E. coach in my seventh grade class was named Volkner..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #384 on: April 12, 2010, 01:38:24 PM »
Then they shouldn't be using obscure names, because I've never heard of anyone named Volkner.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #385 on: April 12, 2010, 02:24:49 PM »
Why should they have normal American names? They're not in America, they're in Pokemonland. And the original names are just as punny if you know Japanese.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #386 on: April 12, 2010, 07:43:06 PM »
Third game in Generation V:
Pokemon Grey
or
Pokemon Mexican

« Reply #387 on: April 12, 2010, 09:15:08 PM »
As shown below, gym leaders' names have been delving deeper and deeper into obscurity with each successive generation. Giving them boring names like "Melissa" would solve that problem, but kill a significant amount of wit. If puntastic names like these are so awful, why shouldn't Nintendo give all Pokemon completely random, nonsensical titles? Besides, Candice's name is a stroke of genius.

Brock: Pun on "rock", common first name
Misty: Pun on "mist" (suspended condensed water), uncommon first name
Lt. Surge: Reference to electrical surges, nonexistent last name
Erika: Reference to the Erica genus of flowers, common name
Koga: Reference to "Kōga-ryū" (a school of ninjutsu), mock-Japanese name acknowledging his ninja background
Sabrina: Unconfirmed reference/pun, common name
Blaine: Pun on "blaze", common last name, uncommon first name
Giovanni: Pun on "geo" (Greek for "earth"), common Italian name, possibly used to draw further parallels between Mafia-type criminal groups and Team Rocket

Falkner: Pun on "falconer" (falcon trainer), common last name, obscure first name
Bugsy: Pun on "bug", uncommon nickname
Whitney: Pun on "white" (often associated with normality/plainness), common first name
Morty: From Latin "mort-" (meaning "death"), nickname for Mortimer or Mordecai
Chuck: Slang "to throw", common nickname for Charles
Jasmine: Possibly a pun on "mineral", uncommon first name
Pryce: Rhymes with "ice", common last name, obscure first name
Clair: Bulbapedia says it's meant to rhyme with "lair" (as in a dragon's lair, but that's stupid), common first name

Roxanne: Pun on "rock", common first name
Brawly: Pun on "brawl" (to fight), obscure nickname
Wattson: Pun on electrical watts, alternate spelling of the common last name "Watson"
Flannery: Pun on "flame", uncommon first name
Norman: Pun on "normal", common first name
Winona: Possible reference to "wind" or "wing", uncommon first name
Tate & Liza: Possible reference to "levitate" when names are combined, relatively uncommon first names
Wallace: Vague pun on "water", common last name, obscure first name

Roark: Pun on "rock", obscure first or last name
Gardenia: Pun on "garden" (also reference to the flower gardenia), nonexistent name
Maylene: Pun on "melee", uncommon first name
Crasher Wake: Pun on "crashing wave" or reference to a vessel's wake, made-up stage name
Fantina: Pun on "phantom" or reference to Les Misérables' character Fantine, obscure first name
Byron: Pun on "iron", uncommon first and last name
Candice: Straight from Bulbapedia: "From the Latin "candita", meaning "clarity; whiteness". Contains ice", uncommon first name
Volkner: Pun on "volt", name often given to retarded kids whose retarded parents can't think of actual names
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #388 on: April 13, 2010, 09:48:52 AM »
I always thought "Sabrina" was a reference to the titular Teenage Witch from Archie comics. Or, people from my generation would better remember her from the late 90s ABC Sitcom starring Melissa Joan Hart.

« Reply #389 on: April 13, 2010, 10:58:38 AM »
Melissa Joan Hart-> JOINS A HAREM LAST

Oops wrong thread.

Print