Print

Author Topic: Project Café  (Read 13241 times)

A

« on: April 21, 2011, 10:31:14 AM »
It's time we talked about this.

Most of the rumors come from this French website, though IGN claims they have anonymous sources of their own. But IGN is also IGN, so yeah.

What they agree on:

• More powerful than the 360 (either "significantly more" or "just a notch higher")
  • Standard PS-style controller with motion controls, also a 6-inch touchscreen (the French website calls it a "Super VMU on steroids")
  • Games can be streamed from the Café to the controller, but probably only when the Café is on and within a certain distance.
  • Backwards compatible with Wii games, controllers, and peripherals
  • The Café and probably some Café games will be shown at E3, but probably not playably
  • No one's announced a Hot Café mod for it yet

If this is true, and Nintendo does it for a reasonable price, it could end up being a lot like the 16-bit generation, neh? The Wii is the NES, the 360 is the Genesis, the PS3 is whatever maybe a TurboGrafx, and the Café is the SNES.

Sony and Microsoft won't be putting out new consoles any time soon -- Move and Kinect are their next-gen consoles. So we'll end up with three consoles, all with HD graphics and motion controls, with Nintendo having the best motion controls and quite possibly the best graphics, with their competitors in no position to release new consoles (they just invested way too much in getting up to speed with motion controls, and development costs are too high as it is).

This would be pretty sweet if true and not expensive.
"I was going to post and say "I have one of those!" because I recognized the hair immediately, but then the rest of the pic loaded and I nearly spit my drink out."
1-800-COLLECT: SAVE A BUCK OR TWO!!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 10:45:54 AM »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 10:50:38 AM »
Do not want.

I have enough gaming stuff to buy already without a new console adding about 50% to the collective price tag on my wish list.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 11:13:34 AM »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 03:00:34 PM »
I'm kinda surprised that rumors about a Wii successor are sprouting up, especially if they're true. I think the Wii could probably survive another couple years at least. Correct me if I'm wrong, I mean, I'm no analyst... it just still doesn't feel the same as when the Nintendo 64 and GameCube were almost over.

But then, that could be because there's no new PlayStation or Xbox yet, like you said, because they just added the Move and Kinect. And it could be that I only don't think of those as signs that it's Nintendo's move because I don't care to get a Kinect.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 12:52:03 AM »
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/25/wii-successor-2012/

Not that surprised. I haven't felt like the Wii was going to buck the 5-year console cycle. I am pleasently surprised at a playable version so soon. Also, I wonder how much backwards compatability this one'll have.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 07:19:45 AM »
Thanks CMN, but joystiq has some errors on that page so in case anyone else couldn't read the annoucement here it is again:

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 11:51:34 AM »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 11:51:58 AM »
I'm extremely glad to see Nintendo realizes that the Pac-Man Vs. / Crystal Chronicles / Four Swords Adventure era provided some of the most unique and enjoyable multiplayer experiences ever and is devoting an entire console to the concept.

Good times they's a comin'.

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 12:05:59 PM »
If this system has forced multiplayer games like Pac-Man Vs. or Four Swords Adventures, I'll release a colony of dickants into Bozeman, Montana's water supply.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 03:30:49 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 02:54:11 PM »
Bring on Four Swords Adventure!  (and the ants)
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 03:31:15 PM »
Luigison, you're grounded.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 04:54:43 PM »
FSA was great.

(I couldn't find one with Link)
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 05:16:43 PM »
Brian, you're doomed to eternal failure.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 09:45:02 PM »
Hey, I loved FSA.  It's arguably my favorite 2D Zelda.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Print