Print

Author Topic: Pokemon Diamond/Pearl  (Read 13298 times)

« on: February 25, 2008, 06:59:28 PM »
So, my fiancee and I recently bought both the games for the DS, and then subsequentially got the full Pokedex strategy guide.

My question is, in order to completely fill out the Pokedex in Diamond/Pearl, do you have to have the GBA games? We don't own a single one, and I really don't want to have run out and get six games for a few monsters I may just stuff into the PC and never use..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 07:36:48 PM »
If you can connect to the Wi-Fi Connection, then no, you don't.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 07:47:56 PM »
If you want to request any particular Pokémon over Wi-Fi, you have to have seen it first. Thank you, Internet.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 10:07:31 PM »
My question is, in order to completely fill out the Pokedex in Diamond/Pearl, do you have to have the GBA games?
Yes. Yes you do. Even then, there are also these super-legendary Pokémon that can only be obtained through special Nintendo Events.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 01:02:06 AM »
Filling out the Pokédex has to be the lamest, most mundane task set before you in any (every) typical RPG in the series. The best thing about Gold/Silver/Crystal (I think) and Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald (I know for sure) is that you don't have to catch anything to progress in the game. I mostly ignore wild Pokémon and spend all my time and money on the ones I intend to actually train. In fact, the other day, I accidentally defeated Groudon with my Castform in one hit and decided I hadn't saved recently enough for resetting to be worthwhile.

You know you're never going to 100% it unless you burn a lot of money on all the games, or actually do have friends with the games needed to help you out, as well as hacker/pirate friends to get you Arceus (oh my, Arceus!!). Knowing that, why bother? Enjoy what you should be enjoying in it.

...That being said, my Pokédexes are pathetic in Gold and Ruby, and when Gold and Silver remakes for the DS come around (I'll want the Silver one, for Delibird (Yes, I'm sure they're coming)), it probably will be there too. I just don't see the point in spending all the time and money I could be putting towards level grinding and TMs, respectively, on bear traps for bears I never plan on looking at. Don't feel cheated out of a good game. That is, if you like Diamond and Pearl... I personally hated Diamond when I played it, but I'll catch up with new features like Wi-Fi and stuff with "DawnSilver."
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 01:46:42 AM »
Yeah, that's why I stay away from Pokemon games now.  I'm too addicted to the "MUST FILL IN SAVE FILE 100%" concept to play an RPG that's not designed to let you "have it all" very easily.
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 08:00:40 AM »
I'm actually kind of glad I was really apathetic about Pokemon collecting in the previous games because it's incredibly cool that you can get literally every Pokemon in D/P. Of course, to do so, you need to have all the GBA games, go to a bunch of Nintendo events, and probably pick up a copy of Pokemon Colesseum (dang you, Pineco!).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 08:34:38 AM »
I'm actually kind of glad I was really apathetic about Pokemon collecting in the previous games because it's incredibly cool that you can get literally every Pokemon in D/P. Of course, to do so, you need to have all the GBA games, go to a bunch of Nintendo events, and probably pick up a copy of Pokemon Colesseum (dang you, Pineco!).
Did they ever make or even think of, for a special edition of games, put them together as one as they sometimes to on the Game boy? They could have probably put firered with leafgreen in one cartridge. I'm not saying like that they have to play the two games seperate, maybe together. Like you could have the leaf green pokemon with the fire red pokemon? is that even possible to do?
In one ear, out the other. All I hear is BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 09:27:15 AM »
Did they ever make or even think of, for a special edition of games, put them together as one as they sometimes to on the Game boy? They could have probably put firered with leafgreen in one cartridge. I'm not saying like that they have to play the two games seperate, maybe together. Like you could have the leaf green pokemon with the fire red pokemon? is that even possible to do?

Yes it is very possible to do. Nintendo only does it so they make double the money and to encurage people to buy GBA links.
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 12:05:15 PM »
Although money is probably a factor, especially after the first games became mega-hits, the true design motivation behind multiple versions is to require trading to Catch 'Em All. It's not supposed to be a single-player experience.

And they obviously weren't too interested in selling GBA links either, since FireRed and LeafGreen were bundled with free GBA Wireless Adapters!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 10:01:59 PM »
Whether you like it or not, the "____ Version, ____ Version" concept did set a precedent. Heck, even Zelda borrowed it! (you know what would be awesome? If they did a two-game crossover like that one Spyro/Crash thing, except with Mario and Zelda)

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 10:13:29 PM »
Whether you like it or not, the "____ Version, ____ Version" concept did set a precedent. Heck, even Zelda borrowed it! (you know what would be awesome? If they did a two-game crossover like that one Spyro/Crash thing, except with Mario and Zelda)
hopefully not in Olympic events! XD
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 07:31:34 PM »
I just thought of something else, also..

For a Pokemon Spiritbomb to appear, you have to greet 30 people in the Underground. Is that 30 different people, or can I greet my fiancee over and over?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 07:40:38 PM »
^ I think you can do it with the same person.... (and that's "Spiritomb", by the way)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 07:49:42 PM »
You can definitely do it with the same person. However, it does mean that one of you'll have to enter and leave the Underground a lot.

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 07:57:14 PM »
The guide lists Spiritomb as Spiritbomb in a couple of places, unless I've just been reading it wrong.

Does it have to be exactly 30 times? We've talked to eachother some already.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 08:01:33 PM »
The guide lists Spiritomb as Spiritbomb in a couple of places, unless I've just been reading it wrong.
Well, I know for a fact that the game calls it "Spiritomb (which makes sense because it's a portmanteau of "spirit" and "tomb"). And, of course, the Nintendo Power staff hasn't exactly been known for its grammatical prowess ever since that overhaul of their's a few years back.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 08:15:26 PM »
I can also confirm that you can meet the same person over and over provided that one of you leaves the underground over and over. My boyfriend and I did it to get our Spiritombs.

And this is slightly off-topic, but you can also keep upgrading your base flag by stealing the flag from the same person over and over. I do suggest that the bases are near each other if you ever plan to get all the way up to platitnum flag.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 08:17:02 PM »
And this is slightly off-topic, but you can also keep upgrading your base flag by stealing the flag from the same person over and over. I do suggest that the bases are near each other if you ever plan to get all the way up to platitnum flag.
Gosh, I never knew you could do all these things. Though I think the method of getting Spiritomb is rather stupid...

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 11:03:16 PM »
Eh, I guess they just wanted to give you another reason to do the whole "Underground" thing. Honestly, though it was tedious at times, that was a pretty cool addition (almost getting a fossil, only to have the walls collapse, though...).

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 12:10:52 PM »
(almost getting a fossil, only to have the walls collapse, though...).

Yea, but all the good fossils don't start appearing until later after beating the Elite 4 and the Champion (according to my fiancee, anyway)

I'm not quite as far along as she is. She's made it up Victory Road and has at least tried the E4. I don't know where Victory Road is, but I still need the Sunny Shore badge, and I'm pretty sure the road is still blocked..

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 11:56:47 AM »
Nevermind. I figured out where the Pokemon League/Victory Road is.

But that's not important now. How do I catch the Mesprit? I understand the whole following it with my one Poketch application (stupid name for a Pokemon Watch, btw), but once in battle, it just seems to run away from all of my pokemon.

I recall reading that the move "Mean Look" will keep it there, but none of my Pokemon are fast enough to use it.

Also, was it a mistake to use my Master Ball on Palkia (and my fiancee used hers on Dialga). We kind of figured that since they were on the box, they were the equivalent to the Mewtwo of the game (making the three lake pokemon kind of like the three legendary birds from the first game).

Any general strategies on catching Mesprit, Azlef, and Uxie?

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 12:44:03 PM »
I'd advise leveling up a Pokémon that can move fast enough to put it to sleep, and then using false swipe to get its HP down to 1. Use a dusk ball if it is night time as it will make things a lot easier. (That's how I got Rotom and Garatina.)

If you can find a Pokémon that can learn Hypnosis AND False Swipe, catching Mesprit should be a piece of cake.

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 12:53:28 PM »
You don't happen to know a good Pokemon that can learn Hypnosis and False Swipe, do you? Everytime I think about either of those TM's, none of my pokemon can learn them.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 05:03:40 PM »
Smeargle.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 06:17:02 PM »
Yeah. Smeargle can permanently learn pretty much any move by copying the opposing persons move it but its rather risky, also you're gonna need Emerald and Ruby/Sapphire to get it.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2008, 06:54:07 PM »
If you've got its HP down, Quick Balls may be helpful. And have fun now, because later another Pokémon does the same thing.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2008, 08:28:40 PM »
No, you get Smeargle to learn Mean Look, Lock-On (increases next move's accuracy to 100%), and a OHKO move.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 01:50:34 AM »
No, you get Smeargle to learn Crabhammer, Milk Drink, Trick Room, and Teeter Dance.

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008, 01:55:04 AM »
Smeargle sounds like a very broken character.
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2008, 02:28:02 AM »
Smeargle has crappy stats except for slightly above-average speed, so it's really quite balanced. He can be used really effectively in competitive play if you know what you're doing, though.

That's my outburst of Pokemon knowledge for the year... now to go back to being completely oblivious to the entire series again. :D
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2008, 10:15:53 AM »
I used to have a Smeargle in my party until I realized how crappy its stats were.  Now my party consists of:

Palkia
Rayquaza
Giratina
Lucario
Kyogre
Dragonite

in no particular order, all lvl. 100

the only real problem Pokemon to get are event Pokemon and the Johto starters (and possibly the roamers)...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2008, 11:01:07 AM »
Right now in D/P, my party currently consists of Dialga (lv 53 about), Golduck (lv 54 or 55), Honchkrow (lv 54), Uxie (lv 50, just caught), Machoke (lv 30 or so, but he's strictly used for HM's), and a level 20 Kricketune, which was the best Pokémon with a sleep-putting move (Sing) I had, I used him to capture Uxie. I will probably replace Kricketune with Azelf when I finally catch it. Reason as to why I'm so early in the game still with only 8 badges and no elite four victory is because I obtained the game three weeks ago.
Ditto used Machop!

Print