Print

Author Topic: Super Mario World Arcade  (Read 14732 times)

« on: May 29, 2000, 06:21:54 PM »
I remember waaaaaay back when Super Mario World was released in the arcades.  Well my brother and I would play it for hours and hours.  Well there was a few stages that never made it into the released Super Nintendo version.  One was a stage with trees, another was a water world stage.  There might have been more but I just can't remember.  It was too long ago.  Any one who knows anything else about this, just let me know.  

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2000, 12:07:16 PM »
I don't remember a SMW arcade game, because I was too young at the time to frequent arcades alone (d'oh!).  I do remember a SMW pinball game, though, that a local hotel kept in the lobby for awhile.  Never did get to play it...
Someone set up us the bomb!

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2000, 01:36:54 PM »
That reminds me... there was also a warp zone to choose your world.  It reset to the warp zone screen after your time was up.  For each quarter, you could play for so many minutes.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2000, 06:31:08 PM »
Cool. Sounds like fun! I've never got to really play any sort of Mario arcade game, but once there was a bear claw that only had Nintendo stuff in it.

Kweeh! Kweeh!
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2000, 09:37:44 AM »
Interesting! I've never heard of any Super Mario World arcade game, though I have seen a Super Mario World pinball machine at a roller skating rink. I never played it.

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2000, 10:59:32 AM »
It was very fun indeed.  They had one in Massechusetts at one time in a pizza joint called Big Als Pizza and one at Shippensburg College, Pennsylvania.

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2000, 12:41:59 PM »
I dont know about a SMW arcade game  but i remember a SuperMarioBros 2 Arcade game!  i was about...oh i dont know....4 maybe 5.   It seemed to be a lot better than the one on NES

~*(Remember:  Koopa is Watching you)*~
Muwahahahahahaha IIIIIIIIIIM
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2000, 04:21:17 PM »
Cool.  The arcade Super Mario World was alot better too and I was dissapointed when I played the Super Nintendo version.  My brother played the arcade version too and he felt the same way about the super nintendo version not being as good.  I once wrote to Nintendo about this and they said "we don't know what your talking about".  Probably didn't want to admit that the version they released on the super nintendo wasn't good compared to the arcade version.

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2000, 10:11:53 PM »
That's interesting!  I never knew there was an arcade SMW.  Levels that never made it?  I wish I could have played those level.

Ralph Wiggium:  What''''s a battle?
Superintendant Chawmer (I can''''t spell so sue me!):  Did that kid say what''''s a battle?
Skinner:  No he said what''''s that rattle!  The air conditioning!

Villians aren''''t always hated.  Team Rocket of Pokémon is one example of loved villians.  Just because a character is evil doesn''''t mean he or she don''''t have any fans.

Pokémon and Mario both rule!
Ralph Wiggium:  What''s a battle?
Superintendant Chawmer (I can''t spell so sue me!):  Did that kid say what''s a battle?
Skinner:  No he said what''s that rattle!  The air conditioning!

Villians aren''t always hated.  Team Rocket of Pokémon is one example of loved villians.  Just because a character is evil doesn''t mean he or she don''t have any fans.

Pokémon and Mario both rule!

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2000, 07:23:32 AM »
I remember playing that one, the arcade Super Mario Bros., the SMW Pinball game, and I think the original arcade Donkey Kong. I'm not sure.
Kamehameha!

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2000, 05:09:07 PM »
I remember the Mario Pinball game. They had one at the bowling alley. I don't go there anymore so I don't know if they still have it...

I also remember the SMW Arcade game. I never saw those "levels that never made it" though.

"No way! You beat me... again!! And I just spent my entire savings on these new Koopa Mach 1 Sprint shoes!" - Koopa the Quick (Mario 64)
-----------------------------
"No way! You beat me... again!! And I just spent my entire savings on these new Koopa Mach 1 Sprint shoes!" - Koopa the Quick (Mario 64)

"That''s called cheating. Last I heard, it was against the rules." -Me

CodeHunter64
Leader of the CodeHunters

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2000, 02:12:57 PM »
I saw it once in a gas station somewhere, it had better graphics than the snes version too. Probably worth tracking down a rom...

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2000, 03:34:04 PM »
Testing...
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2000, 03:39:39 PM »
Seems to be working, now.  Anyway, what I was trying to post yesterday was, in answer to Code Hunter's mention of the pinball game, that I also remember playing a "Mario" pinball game.  It was called "Mario Mushroom World," and there was a sign on it saying "out of order," but I saw other people playing it, so I tried and it seemed to work perfectly.  When I asked in what way it was out of order, I was told that there was supposed to be a sound byte after you inserted the quarters but before you got a ball.  It was supposed to say "Mario!  Hey, Mario!" but it wasn't working.
Mega 2

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2000, 09:39:54 PM »
That SMW arcade version does sound like a worthy ROM hunt...

Does Deezer have any information on the Mario arcade/pinball games?

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2000, 09:52:21 PM »
Aha!  My search for information on the Mario arcade games has brought me to this page:

<http://www.klov.com/S/Super_Mario_World.html>

They've got bukus of information on several Mario arcade games!!

And now; the search continues...

->- That''s no moon; it''s a space station. -<-

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2000, 10:44:18 AM »
That's a cool site, with info on a lot of "Mario" arcade games, but I still can't find anyone who knows anything about "Vs. Mario Bros."  Somebody on this web site gave me one that supposedly mentioned it, but I couldn't find anything there.  Could someone please help?
Mega 2

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2000, 12:20:47 PM »
First of all, I think that maybe the SMW arcade game wasn't from Nintendo. Maybe some guy hacked the game and put it on the SNES. Second, info on VS. Mario Bros. is on this site! Just look in the other platforms section under the games.

-Yoshi348
Yoshi! You ate my wallet!!! I had my trillion dollar bill in there! (sad Yoshi sound) It's OK, I've got another one in my butt for safe keeping.

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2000, 08:27:16 AM »
Yoshi, it wuz for the Arcade....it wasn't for Snes.  No, I'm pretty sure they didn't pirate the Game.

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2000, 10:04:26 AM »
I am sure the game wasn't pirated.  Nintendo was (is?) a member of JAMMA, the Japanese Arcade Manufacturer's something-or-other.  Also, sources verify that the Nintendo Super System (as the arcade machine was called) was  widely released to hype up interest in the SNES, much like the Playchoice 10 before it.
Plus, screenshots of the game on the site I mentioned in an earlier post show copyright information.  Very few pirates are lazy enough to leave that kind of thing...

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2000, 11:04:12 AM »
WHERE on the site?!?  I'm starting to wonder if "Vs. Mario Bros." even exists, or if Deezer just made it up.
Mega 2

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2000, 12:03:37 PM »
I didn't make it up. A long time ago, MEGAߥTE told me to list it. And he's not wrong very much. I just wish there was some more info about it somewhere...

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2000, 02:34:00 PM »
OK...
A. SNES was a typo.
B. If Nintendo really made the SMW arcade machine, why would they deny ever making it? I mean, they would want to sell it! Even if it was discontinued, they would have no reason to deny ever making one. Just because they were in a postion to make a SMW arcade machine doesn't mean they made one.

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2000, 10:29:54 PM »
There's definately a Vs. Mario Bros., because I've played it!!  It's been a while, and the one I played had a bad jump button so my score was pretty lousy, but the game is essentially Super Mario Bros. (NES) on a Nintendo Vs. System console.  There may be some different levels, though I never got past 1-2 or so...stupid bad jump button!!  : (

--Blues

--Blues

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2000, 10:34:18 PM »
Oh, yeah...and the items were moved around.  They may have been close to their NES locations, but it was off enough that you couldn't rely on them and it made the game all that much harder.  Man, I wish that jump button worked...this game sounds kinda fun...

--Blues

--Blues

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2000, 03:18:05 PM »
Yoshi348- When did Nintendo deny producing an arcade machine?

The system in question, the Nintendo Super System, was released in select arcades and retail stores to generate interest in the Super Nintendo (aka Super Famicom).

To my knowledge, the machine was only released in Japan (mainly because Nintendo is mentioned in every JAMMA listing as maker of the NSS), although several people have posted saying they played the game in the US.

Simply because the machine is rare and unknown is no proof that it does not exist.

I am still on my mad quest for information on this obscure arcade machine and it's games...

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2000, 04:02:36 PM »
I never said "Vs. Super Mario Bros.," everyone knows about that.  I mean "Vs. Mario Bros."  "Mario Bros." and "Super Mario Bros." are not the same game.  The former was released for arcade before Atari or N.E.S., and was a battle game set in a sewer, as opposed to an adventure game set in the Mushroom Kingdom.
Mega 2

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2000, 08:58:23 AM »
As far as I know (and I know a little bit about this) Mario Bros. was not released for the Vs. Unisystem.  On the other hand, Super Mario Bros. was.

I think the Vs. Unisystem came out after first generation NES games (Mario Bros, Balloon Fight) were technologically obsolete.  Nintendo probably thought it was a waste of time to re-release those games.  Only about 17 to 20 games were actually ported to the Unisystem anyway, so it doesn't surprise me.

Edit- I found a few really bad typos.  Where's my coffee...

Edited by - Hinopio on 8/14/00 8:01:09 AM

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2000, 02:01:46 PM »
Hinopo: Check TRM's post on the 5th (1st page). Of course, he called NOA (probably), so maybe there was one in Japan and the English translation was a hack. This is real wierd.

-Yoshi348
I think I ate too many apples... what's that heart raining from the sky?

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2000, 02:16:36 PM »
Hmm... interesting that Nintendo would deny that.  I have quite a few pics gathered from various sources (including E-bay) that show the NSS in all it's glory.  These pictures look fairly credible to me, with the Nintendo  logo and seal of approval all over the machine's cabinet and marquees, not to mention documentation.  I even found a scan of the machine's schematics!  All this is strong evidence toward the existance of such a machine.

PS.- The controllers look _really_ cool.  I wonder why Nintendo changed the design...

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2000, 03:34:59 PM »
Mega 2(And whoever else cares) :Wow... I sort of remember once a long time ago finding something on the web about Vs. Mario Bros. by accident containing a brief history and some screen shots. I can't tell you what site it was, I honestly don't remember, and I tried numerous times to find it again. However, that game IS real. From what I recall, it was like Mario Bros. only with about 4 different screens, alternate graphics on each screen(platforms, enemies), and it was slightly harder. Hope it helps. Maybe I already told you(whoops!).
Woohoo.

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2000, 01:29:49 PM »
Vs. Mario Bros... I'll see what I can find.
Although, are you sure it wasn't the Playchoice 10 version of Mario Bros.?  That version was only found in retail stores as a 'play before you pay' demo game.

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2000, 06:47:23 PM »
I have the vs. Mario Bros. ROM.
It works with NESticle.  The palette
is slightly off, but other than that it works
perfectly.  E-mail me if you want it.

In the documentation for NESticle, it even
notes that the ~ credit key was added
especially for vs. Mario Bros.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2000, 12:54:00 AM »
S³: Are you sure it's "Vs Mario Bros." and not "Vs Super Mario Bros."?

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2000, 01:07:06 PM »
That's what I am thinking, because all of my sources say that a version of Mario Bros. was  never released for the Vs. Unisystem.  Does anyone know when the Vs. Unisystem was unleashed onto the public?  That might help clear this up.

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2000, 07:47:24 PM »
I rememer about a year or two ago when I went camping I went in the arcade and played some form of a Mario Bros. game. I don't know what it was called or anything but I do remember playing it. If I saw some screenshots or some evidence of it I might remember.

Nothing''s impossible, maybe unlikely, but not impossible.
Nothing''s impossible, maybe unlikely, but not impossible.

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2000, 08:57:13 PM »
Oh dear! It seems that I mentioned "Vs. Mario Bros." and told what I knew about it. Well, due to some sort of brain corruption relief, I now realize that I was wrong. That was "Return of the Mario Bros." I'm terribly sorry. I really am.
Woohoo.

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2000, 05:02:01 PM »
I am fully aware of the existence of "Vs. Super Mario Bros.," just NO site besides "The Mushroom Kingdom" makes mention of "Vs. Mario Bros." (no "Super"), and then there is just the listing and no link.  That's why I'm asking.

"Arthur bruised his upper arm."

Mega 2

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2000, 04:46:37 PM »
First off I wrote a letter to nintendo and they told me they didn't know a thing about the arcade Super Mario World.  I was pretty young when I played the SMW arcade game but the one thing I remember for sure is there was a Warp Zone.  You put in a few quarters then a warp zone came and you chose a leval and then the actaul game started.  I played many different levels but I can't remeber all of the details.  My brother was 5 years older then me and he played it too so maybe he might be able to help.  There was a stage where you started out on the ground by a few goombas and then there was a feather and it was a tree panel and you flew above the trees over a gigantic pit and then well I'm not sure what happened cuz I was watching another guy play and he got caught.  But I am trying to find as much info as I can.  As for the other game(VS Mario Bros I think) well I'll see if I can find anything on it too.

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2000, 11:10:13 PM »
I remember the Arcade version. I was at Benchwarmer Bob's. It had 3 Super Nintendo games: F-Zero, Tennis and Super Mario World. It was cool. I don't remember it much, but I DO know it's still there. It was in Minnesota. Oh, I hate when people take out good stuff from games. Even Sonic the Hedgehog 2 got levels taken out! I HATE THAT STUFF!!! (Shakes head) Okay, I'll calm down.

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2000, 10:05:18 AM »
That clears up one mystery.  I thought there was a few games that switched besides Mario World.  I played it at shippensburg University College but they don't have it anymore and I seen it at Big Al's pizza in Plymouth Massechusetts a few years ago but didn't play it.

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2000, 10:23:28 PM »
Does anyone else remember anything about this?  Anything new.

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2001, 12:44:13 PM »
All I know about this is that a few years ago my friend told me that in 1990 or '91 he played a game called "Super Mario Bros. 4" that was almost exactly like "Super Mario World" except for little differences like leaf/raccoon power instead of feather/cape power.  I've always assumed he was talking about the arcade version.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa
Mega 2

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2001, 03:21:23 PM »
Hey, people are posting here still!

In that case, has anyone else seen Vs. Dr. Mario?

Print