Print

Author Topic: Time for Super Mario Bros. 4?  (Read 16939 times)

« on: May 16, 2010, 07:41:43 AM »
Alright, this time i have something interesting for you. What do you say if Nintendo would someday go back to it's roots and release Super Mario Bros. 4, an 8-bit styled game for the Wiiware service. It might be unlikely that this idea would ever come to reality, but remember that sometimes, 8-bits can be a consciously chosen style of how you can present a game to the audience. Tell me what do you think about this.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 07:44:24 AM by Alisbet »
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 09:00:05 AM »
What makes 8-bit so great ? 16-bit = better quality.
Also,

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 09:42:14 AM »
Nintendo wouldn't make anything original for it.

They'd just make some new levels, slap it together, put it on the Shop Channel, and charge you 1000 points for it.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 10:15:59 AM »
Koopalmier is right about SMW being SMB4. However, 16-bit isn't always better. For instance, the NES Mega Man games are cooler than Mega Man 7 (although 7 is still good).
That was a joke.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 10:41:48 AM »
SNES Super Mario World's controls are much better than NES Super Mario Bros.'s. Or, to say that in another way, NES Super Mario Bros.'s controls always responded a mid-second later.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 12:47:11 PM »
Younger audiences wouldn't appreciate the stylistic throwback of a new 8-bit Mario title, so Nintendo wouldn't do it. Simple as that.

Mind you, I'm all for it.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 12:47:57 PM »
SNES Super Mario World's controls are much better than NES Super Mario Bros.'s. Or, to say that in another way, NES Super Mario Bros.'s controls always responded a mid-second later.

Now that I can agree with. I think the slower feeling was because Mario had a lot more momentum in SMB. If you were going full speed and jumped fully, there was no way you were gonna stop him. Compare that with SMW where you can be going full speed, jump, and turn around almost instantly.

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 02:16:03 PM »
@Weegee I understand how you feel, but as i said in my previous post, 8-bits sometimes can be an consciously chosen style of how you can present a game to the audience. You don't have to like it though, it is after all, your own opinion on this matter.
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 07:02:37 PM »
Weegee, Mega Man 9 and 10 have been doing pretty well, I believe, and they're total 8-bit throwbacks.
That was a joke.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 08:52:27 PM »

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 10:01:23 PM »
What are you talking about.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 10:25:29 PM »
Well, 8-bit styled games are certainly fun and have great nostalgia value, but they don't allow a franchise to develop really well. Look at Mega Man 9 and 10; they're awesome, but wouldn't you agree that perhaps Mega Man has some awesome next-gen opportunities that are being ignored?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 11:00:33 PM »
No, not really. What did you have in mind?
They pretty much tried a lot of stuff already that was nowhere near as good as classic Mega Man.
That was a joke.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 11:36:27 PM »
I really think the sky is the limit in game design, so I didn't have anything specific in mind. And I maintain the argument that I like Mega Man Legends more than classic Mega Man, so take my opinion as you will (the subjectivity of taste in video games is an argument often found on the Internet and I don't want to address it). I'm just saying that if they designed classic Mario games and they were a huge sucess, would we be getting games like SMG2?

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 01:29:05 PM »
There is the possibility of Japanese concepts. Super Mario World is Super Mario Bros. 4, and why the WiiWare announced the new one?
"Nice of the princess to invite us over for a core destruction, eh, Luigi?"

Print