Print

Author Topic: Time for Super Mario Bros. 4?  (Read 16912 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 09:52:43 PM »
Super Mario World is Super Mario Bros. 4. That much is indisputable. The unanswered questions are:

- How do you add it all up, considering there are two different Super Mario Bros. 2s? (TLL and USA)
- Is Yoshi's Island Super Mario Bros. 5, considering it is Super Mario World 2?
- If so, is Yoshi's Story (which was originally going to be titled Yoshi's Island 64) Super Mario Bros. 6, and Yoshi's Island DS (which was originally going to be titled Yoshi's Island 2) Super Mario Bros. 7 (or 6, if you don't count Yoshi's Story)?
- If you do count Yoshi's Story, then is Yoshi Topsy-Turvy (aka Yoshi's Universal Gravitation) Super Mario Bros. 8?
- And of course, let's not forget the Game & Watch Super Mario Bros, and the PC-88 title Super Mario Bros. Special.

If you then decide that Super Mario Land deserves to be included at least as much as Yoshi's Story does (which it does -- especially SML2, an underappreciated platforming classic that still feels fresh today), then before you can even decide what numbers of SMBs they are, you have to figure out their own numbering.
- Super Mario Land 3 is Wario Land. Does this mean that Wario Land 2 is Super Mario Land 4 (by the same logic that counted Yoshi's Island as an SMB)?
- If so, is Wario: Master of Disguise counted as Wario Land 5 (or 6, if you count Wario World as 5) and therefore Super Mario Land 7 (or 8)? (Wario Land Shake would be SML 7, 8, or 9, depending on how you counted MoD and WW).

Adding in New Super Mario Bros. and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, the upper limit on the number of SMBs is at least 22, with the Game & Watch and PC-88 games included and counting both SMB2s (and 29 if you also count Donkey Kong Country 1-4 and Donkey Kong Land 1-3). And then there's more debatable cases like Super Princess Peach, Super Paper Mario, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, and so on.

I'm being overly hyperbolic, of course, but my point is that the numbering system is complicated. We're definitely at least up to SMB6 already.

Incidentally, I think what most people really mean when they say they want a "Super Mario Bros. 4" is that they want a "Super Mario Bros. III-2".
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010, 01:26:30 AM »
IMHO, NSMBWii was as close to that sort of SMB4 as we'll get.  Which isn't all that bad, as the multiplayer alone's enough to keep it interesting.

As for numbering, which is essentially determining what of the 2D was "canon", I say that Yoshi's Island and subsequent Yoshi games are a completely different series altogether, with YI being the only possible common link.  And SMB:TLL/2J, as much as I like it, is essentially just an expansion pack for the first SMB.  "For Super Players" was about the most fitting moniker that game ever got.  No numbering required for anything outside of the original trilogy and Super Mario World, IMO.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2010, 01:31:25 AM »
Yeah except Super Mario USA wasn't part of your "trilogy" in Japan. And like CrossEyed said, SMW is officially SMB4.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2010, 07:18:47 AM »
Incidentally, I think what most people really mean when they say they want a "Super Mario Bros. 4" is that they want a "Super Mario Bros. III-2".
I'd probably rather see a SMW-2 3, what with that awesome world map system (about as non-linear a Mario sidescroller has ever been) and the awesome power ups (the Cape Feather... just... the Cape Feather).

IMHO, NSMBWii was as close to that sort of SMB4 as we'll get.  Which isn't all that bad, as the multiplayer alone's enough to keep it interesting.
If only it were online.
*Cue LD rant*
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2010, 03:25:10 PM »
Why does it have to be online? Just grab a few friends and get a few extra controllers, and there yout go!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2010, 03:30:07 PM »
Friends and extra controllers?  Do you realize who you're saying this to?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2010, 03:43:17 PM »
Sometimes I think all multiplayer games should be Wi-fi/online compatible. Finding fellow Mario fans IRL is like scouting for gay-furry-leather fetishists in a local shopping mall.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2010, 03:56:06 PM »
They exist IRL. I went to see about getting some new glasses, and the doctor noticed my shirt (a gray shirt that has Donkey Kong on it, with his DK 94 art) and we talked about the Nes, SMB, the Wii, and New SMBW. :)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2010, 08:00:50 PM »
Why does it have to be online? Just grab a few friends and get a few extra controllers, and there yout go!

First of all, I'd have to exclude the people I know that either aren't deceased, in jail, away from me, or whatever. Then I'd have to exclude the ones that turned into partiers/druggies. Then I gotta sort through the ones that are busy with college/jobs. Then, gotta find out which ones would actually wanna come sit on their ass playing Mario without getting bored within 15 minutes. Lastly, after whittling it all down, I gotta find the people I actually like and wouldn't mind at my house.

Grand total: 0

My girlfriend would want to play, but she lives in Austin and I'm an hour north of her.

So yeah, basically, there's no reason not to have wifi.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2010, 09:12:21 PM »
Bad network infrastructure, won't get improved without a paid subscription system, not as fun as finding more actual people to play with* <-- 3 reasons

*Sounds like you need a couple actual friends. I used to not have any either.
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2010, 09:30:43 PM »
I've had the same problem.  Moving every three to six years makes it hard to find local friends that share the same enthusiasm for gaming and can work around  a family and full time job. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2010, 08:48:36 PM »
*Sounds like you need a couple actual friends. I used to not have any either.

Yeah, I'm at that point where not one friend I grew up with (who would love to hang out and play games or whatever) has stayed the same. Unfortunately, everyone I know is too busy smokin weed.

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2010, 08:57:04 PM »
Just wait a couple more years and keep gaming. I remember when the vast majority of my friends were potheads and the like too.

How long do you have to know somebody to have "grown up with them"? I have friends who I knew in my hometown (some of whom I also reconnected with recently on Facebook) and I have friends that I have known since moving to my current city, in the sixth grade.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2010, 09:54:55 PM »
I don't think I grew up with anybody. My closest friend from childhood had to move away about 12 years ago, but we still hang out about once a year and keep in touch.
All my other friends I have now I think I got within the last three years. Maybe 5 or so for one.
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2010, 11:33:22 PM »
I generally consider "grown up with" to be anyone I knew from elementary school up until about intermediate school. To clarify, when I was in school in the late-90s thru late-2000s in my school district, it was: Elementary K-4, Intermediate 5-6, Junior High 7-8, and High School 9-12. Some changes were made to "standardize" it (although I was always a grade ahead of the changes that would've affected me), so it's now Elementary K-5, Middle 6-8, High School 9-12.

Print