Print

Author Topic: Luigi's Mansion 2  (Read 29507 times)

« on: June 09, 2011, 12:48:32 PM »
http://e3.nintendo.com/games/detail/#/3ds/luigismansion

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread for this yet.

This is a total dream game for me.  I love-love-loooooooooved the first one, but I never thought we'd be getting a sequel.  Probably because of how much I love the Mario series, and the fact that Ghostbusters is my favorite movie of all time.  Pretty potent combo there. 

Glad to hear there'll be multiple "mansions," one of them having an Egyptian theme, complete with mummies!  It'd be cool if a remixed version of the original mansion was in there somewhere, maybe as the first level or an unlockable bonus world.  Hopefully multiple mansions means multiple enemy types.  Ghostbusting of course should be the heart of the game, but seeing already that Luigi is gonna take on mummies, I'd love to see him trap Draculas and Wolfmans and zombies and stuff.  Zombies and animated skeletons would both be pretty funny to suck up with the Poltergust 5000 (body parts flying off and getting sucked up one at a time). 

Multiplayer could be awesome as well.  I'm thinking a co-op "horde" mode.  Mario, Luigi, Toad and a Mii (obviously I'd want multiple playable characters) all back to back, suckin' up wave after wave of ghosts and ghouls. 

I always liked to think that the original Luigi's Mansion took place at the same time as Mario Sunshine--because I forgot Mario was in LM--but maybe LM 2 can take place at the same time as Super Mario 3DS.  I don't know why, but that little bit of side-by-side continuity would be really cool to me.

I'm very excited about this.  LM2 is a 3DS killer app as far as I'm concerned. 
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 07:03:37 PM »
Why hasn't anyone responded to this post, this was the best part of E3.
For serious.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 07:30:28 PM »
This is a good antithesis to the bobman37:Ykwrs effect. 

I agree with the OP and assume that most if not all of the other eighty something people that viewed this do too.  It seems posts here that get a lot of responses are usually ones that some people disagree with. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 07:41:01 PM »
Of course it works like that. Agreement isn't interactive.

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 09:48:51 PM »
I like to think that the side-by-side continuuity would be cool, but watch Luigi appear in Super Mario 3DS (and Mario in LM2), thus throwing off that theory.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 10:41:25 PM »
I like to think that the side-by-side continuuity would be cool, but watch Luigi appear in Super Mario 3DS (and Mario in LM2), thus throwing off that theory.

It'd be even cooler (if also a blatant money-grab) if you could link the games together once they're finished for a massive co-op boss battle. Or something.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:05:06 PM »
Maybe having a save file for one of the games could open up special content in the other.  Having a save file for LM2 lets you play as Luigi in Mario3DS and vice versa. 
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 10:09:02 PM »
The ghost look different, and there will be knights. THis game will be epic.
"Floor ice cream gives you health!" - Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising.

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 10:23:19 PM »
I don't like the new ghosts look quite as much as the ones from the first game, but it's not a game changer. I'm glad the game will be longer though. I most likely will pick this up when it comes out.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 12:31:12 AM »
In my excitement for LM 2, I just finished a replay-through of the original (Rank B ending if you're curious--I forgot to water the big plant outside!).  The game is still a blast, a short but sweet combination of frantic fishing-style ghostbusting, exploration and treasure hunting and some light puzzling. 

Impressions from E3: http://news.yahoo.com/s/digitaltrends/20110608/tc_digitaltrends/e32011handsonluigismansion2

Rockin' title art:

« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 01:01:54 AM by billy chilly »
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 06:49:25 PM »
Wow! I love that artwork!! It makes me all giddy and giggly!

But, it does raise a question: does this mean King Boo is back? Are we assuming this is the same King Boo..? (ok, so two questions..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 07:06:32 PM »
Did LM1's King Boo have that diamond on its crown?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 07:29:50 PM »
It didn't quiet look like that, but yes. It's always the final diamond you collected.

It's also the reason he's a heavy weight in MKDD.. :p

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 12:16:02 AM »
Yeah, while I love that art, I was hoping for a new boss.  King Boo is fine but... that's all.  He's just fine. 

I love the idea that the crown is so heavy, THAT'S why he's a heavy character in Mario Kart.  Thank you for that. :)
Haters gonna hate

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 03:12:51 PM »
The Boos with the new laugh that they've had since NSMB

The one that sucks

Try to imagine what the first game would've been like if they'd made that change then

Try to imagine fighting Boolossus with that

Auuuh noooo...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 06:11:56 PM »
On the title art, did anyone else notice King Boo's creepy purple and black eyes? I haven't seen those eyes on him anywhere else.

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 11:37:50 AM »
I know it's now August but...I just saw this thread. I'm intrigued!! VERY intrigued, I wanna play it! I didn't do great on the first one, but as my cousin assured, I'll have improved over time, surely. :D Sounds crazy, I can't wait!

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 12:43:04 PM »
[darn] really looking forward to play this. I loved playing Luigi Mansion on the Gamecube can't wait to play a sequel.
Has anyone seen my wallet? >.<

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 04:15:43 AM »
I'm more skeptical of this now than I was when it was announced. When I think about it, I loved Luigi's Mansion because it was something completely fresh and new at the time, it was highly atmospheric and immersive (and, while keeping a classic Mario sense of humor, could actually be rather creepy), and it was short, sweet, and elegant. Dark Moon is a sequel, which right away is going to make it less fresh; it looks like it's going to be tilting more toward funny than scary (though that could just be the way they're portraying it for E3); it's going to be less immersive simply by virtue of being on a handheld rather than a console (less comfortable controller, lower resolution, smaller screen, have to worry about the battery running out, etc.); and most of all, because it's a sequel and because they've gotta do something new (or "new") and add content (or "content"), it's looking much more videogamey.

• Shining a light on the ghosts is no longer enough to stun them into immobility. Players
need to activate a strobe function and release it to stun the ghosts before sucking them
up with the Poltergust.
• Different types of ghosts haunt the different mansions. Luigi must figure out how to defeat
each one of them and find hidden secrets to unlock new areas and treasure chests.
These new elements add more variety and introduce new puzzle-solving mechanics.
• Players can use the Poltergust to help Luigi remove wallpaper to reveal hidden areas,
clean up piles of treasure-hiding leaves or suck up stacks of coins and bills. But in reality,
the nervous and reluctant Luigi just wants to get as far away from these ghosts as
possible.
(from this press release)

Luigi's Mansion was a short game. So short that, if it were released today for $40, some people would complain. "Puzzle-solving mechanics", especially in recent Nintendo flagship titles, tends to be code for "filler." Think modern Zelda games. And those bullet points up there positively scream "generic videogamey filler BS."

They mentioned in the conference that there's going to be a flashlight upgrade that gives it a rainbow beam. Why are there flashlight upgrades? So they can have ghosts that arbitrarily only respond to a Lvl. 2 Flashlight.

Admittedly, if you're making a sequel to Luigi's Mansion -- especially on a handheld -- you pretty much have to go in the direction of "Like Luigi's Mansion, only moreso." But that's really just an argument for not making a sequel in the first place, letting the original stand on its own, and doing something else new and creative and completely different again.

Luigi's Mansion isn't Age of Empires or Gears of War or some other type of game where you can make a sequel where you just do all the same things again but better, plus more things, plus lots and lots of things. It's not the kind of game to have an Endless Mode. This is why so many people hated Metroid Prime 2 -- it was a sequelly sequel that took an elegantly-crafted experience and turned it into a video game with arbitrary locks and keys everywhere to make it feel more like a video game. Making Luigi's Mansion 2 feels like if Jason Rohrer had made Passage 2: Now with optional polygamy! Now with the ability to go left! Now with weekly DLC outfits for your character! Now with unlockable radar to help find the treasures! Now with colored keys and doors -- solve the puzzle by matching the colors!

Some of the new elements of Dark Moon would have been good as a second quest-type thing for the original game, but I'm not convinced this can work as a standalone game eleven years after the fact. Why not make it a second quest, actually? Why not an HD remake of the original game for Wii U, playable with the Pro Controller, or with the uPad as the Game Boy Horror, and then add some new features for a New Game Plus mode (and also add analog triggers to the Wii U for crying out loud)? Why is this even a handheld game at all? I mean, making Paper Mario handheld, okay, that's understandable, you want to show off the 3DS's better graphics and the 3D effects and all, but Luigi's Mansion of all things? That is not a handheld game.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 06:09:45 PM »
Nintendo originally wanted Luigi's Mansion to be in 3D, but later scrapped the idea. That could be a legit reason why they wanted Dark Moon to be on the 3DS.

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 09:41:39 PM »
I want to love this game, but it just doesn't have the same feel as the original.

It seems to lack the darkness and eeriness of the first; everything seems too vivid for me.

Not really a fan of the new ghosts either. They appear to be too cartoony.

Music's not as great.

Altogether, I think I miss the "realism" of the first.

Although that may be just the nostalgic side of me talking.
Unwillingly, but successfully! Twice!

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 11:35:56 AM »
Maybe you people will be less pessimistic if I phrase it this way:

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, from the developers of Punch-Out!!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 11:59:20 AM »
But no one even bothered with Punch-Out!!

I had to enjoy it enough to make up for everyone else
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 01:41:27 PM »
I enjoyed it too. :(

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »
Really, I think that Luigi's Mansion 2 is the perfect canidate for a download-only game. $15 for a unique three or four hour experience with some replay value? That's reasonable. If it were for the Wii-U it could even be a digital launch title showcasing the Wii-U's online store. I'm really hesitant to pay full price for another Luigi's Mansion title; I remember how much I was burnt by the original. It was a lovely experience -- but a costly one.
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 10:45:10 PM »
[Post]
This... sounds like something a more level-headed version of me would say.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 10:52:21 PM »
I guess my favorite part of the original Luigi's Mansion was the mansion itself. It's sheer magnitude was pretty astounding back in the day. Now that I look at it, I imagine all the hours of modeling and texture mapping it must have taken to construct the thing, let alone laying out the floor plan.

I wonder if they would release LM2 for the Wii-U as well. They'd have the opportunity to bring back some of the mood of the old game, and they'd have a larger database to cram in extra bits like hi-poly models (not saying that would be a wise choice on their part, seeing as how you'd have to remodel virtually everything. It would definitely be cool though).

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 11:21:20 PM »
I half-hope for a DS/3DS Player for Wii U to be done.

Though scaling up a DS/3DS game's screen to a 50" screen would be hella ugly... if Wii games won't even be playable on the Wii U in anything higher than 480i, I should stop hoping for a DS Player right there. Maybe homebrew...
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2012, 04:00:46 PM »
[post]

While this is true, I believe we should give the game the benefit of the doubt. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is currently in a similar position to what Pikmin 2 was facing while in development. Pikmin is a short and atmospheric game that loses something by adding more video-gamey elements and a longer game, which Pikmin 2 did. And certainly it is a different game despite having the same basic gameplay. However, it managed to stand out in its own regard, and many consider it to be the superior game.

That being said, to my knowledge the same team did both Pikmin games, while this is being done by a different studio. However this game does have the potential to be its own game that is good in its own right.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2012, 05:44:19 PM »
I agree with Lizard Dude. Punch-Out!!! was a great game with lots of character, and each opponent had a distinct personality. It's definately a good idea to have them do Dark Moon. Although it has more of a mission base structure, it will still be just as fun.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2012, 07:38:37 PM »
While this is true, I believe we should give the game the benefit of the doubt. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is currently in a similar position to what Pikmin 2 was facing while in development. Pikmin is a short and atmospheric game that loses something by adding more video-gamey elements and a longer game, which Pikmin 2 did. And certainly it is a different game despite having the same basic gameplay. However, it managed to stand out in its own regard, and many consider it to be the superior game.
Hmm, good point... then again, while I liked the expanded variety in Pikmin 2, the product placement, recycled areas, and the fact that it was a dungeon crawler kinda turned me off in the long run.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 09:26:46 PM »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 10:56:16 AM »
Alright the complaints about NSMB's samey-ness are one thing but now it sounds like you're picking nits for the hell of it.

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 11:30:43 AM »
It doesn't look too bad. It looks just like a portable sequel to a console game should look, I think.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 11:55:56 PM »
It looks much better in motion than it does in those screenshots, but it's still hard not to miss all the detailed, atmospheric textures of the original. To be fair, though, it's an intentionally different art style (which coincidentally does happen to blend in quite well with the bright cartoony style of all the other games, but that's another story), and probably one that works better on a handheld than would a darker, more texture-heavy style, lending greater visibility to help balance out the smaller, usually less brightly-lit screen of the 3DS as compared to a TV.

Though that again raises the question... why not make it on Wii U?

It'll be a good game, I'm sure, but... different. And I don't like things that are different. Every Luigi's Mansion sequel should be exactly like the original, because I don't like things that are different.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2012, 10:36:33 AM »
Now you want graphical sameness?  My sarcasm detector may be broken.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2012, 03:24:58 PM »
the only thing that i dont like about the LM2 is the design of the ghosts, they look very weird.
people who hack sports games, obviously didn't make the team!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2012, 05:00:24 PM »
What's your standard of weirdness, exactly?

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2012, 04:38:28 AM »
I guess you could say it's kind of weird when you consider that Nintendo tries to establish character images, i.e. 3D Mario will never change appearance; but for something standard like ghosts, I guess they reserve the right to change them up.

Also, I'll miss portrait ghosts.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2012, 10:32:40 PM »
Next Level Games is making this. Tertiary characters tend to be different from developer to developer.

Edit: Come to think of it, they never said Portrait Ghosts were gone. They haven't really said anything about how this game works aside from there being multiple mansions.

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2012, 09:02:05 AM »
Huh, hope they're included. That was a strong point of the first.

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2012, 09:43:11 AM »
What's your standard of weirdness, exactly?

well, the ghosts have body parts that are extreme to each other, like their heads are HUGE and their arms arent as big as usual. and their voices are quirky.  but nor in a bad way!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2012, 02:09:18 PM »
Mario has a big head, short arms, and a quirky voice. I guess he's too weird for his own series.

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2012, 07:42:39 PM »
i didnt mean it in a bad way! im sorry if i upset you. its not like the design of the ghosts are repulsive to me. besides, i kinda like it that way, it takes away the element of fear and replaces it with something funny! thats something only nintendo can accomplish!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »
By the way, I really liked the product placement in Pikmin 2.

« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2012, 06:45:42 PM »
Dark Moon got delayed to early 2013.

All of my feels.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2012, 09:29:03 PM »
You sure you didn't mean to say "heels"? Or was that "feelings"?

Either way 2013 isn't that much longer after Holiday 2012, which is when Sticker Star comes out.

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2012, 11:10:25 PM »
You can play Sticker Star to pass the time until Dark Moon.if you get it for Christmas(or insert your holiday here) :B

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
You sure you didn't mean to say "heels"? Or was that "feelings"?

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2012, 06:37:19 PM »
"First half of 2013" aka, in Nintendo terms, late Q2.
Formerly quite reasonable.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2012, 12:02:41 AM »
Better than making the ending paid DLC
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2012, 12:43:58 AM »
Don't be giving Nintendo any ideas, now.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2012, 06:36:23 PM »
Paid DLC ending. yeah
Formerly quite reasonable.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2013, 12:41:17 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgBmp44ld_o" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgBmp44ld_o</a>

Multiplayer looks fun.

Why is there bump-mapping on incorporeal beings?

Actually, are Boos incorporeal? You can spin-jump off of them in SMW. I forget, can you freeze them in NSMBW/U? Also some of them wear/hold clothes and accessories in PM and TTYD. So yeah, maybe they are solid, mass-having things.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2013, 01:42:30 AM »
I think now they're going for a clay model-ish look, seeing as that same bump map is applied to almost literally everything. But... it's kinda lazy-looking...

Would've been cool if the actual art team's fingerprints were all over the bump maps instead
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2013, 07:23:52 PM »
Is it wierd that I'm that interested in the game because the 3DS only has one analog pad?

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2013, 07:41:08 PM »
I think now they're going for a clay model-ish look, seeing as that same bump map is applied to almost literally everything. But... it's kinda lazy-looking...

Would've been cool if the actual art team's fingerprints were all over the bump maps instead

You think they're gonna go for a stop motion, gumby kinda feel for some of it? That'd be pretty interesting.
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2013, 11:06:11 AM »
I'm liking the game. It's different from and the same as the original in the right ways. Different in that it's nothing like a retread at all, the same in that it gives you plenty of buttons to push and rewards all your curiosity with cashmoney. Great stuff all over the place, I'm not disappointed at all.

I love all the cutscenes with Gadd talking to Luigi, or Luigi entering a new area for the first time, or spying on ghosts fooling around. I want to see animation this natural-feeling and detailed combined with how smooth and fluid it was was in the Galaxies. In a Mario game, I mean. Mario has the cartoonish potential for animation that, if they ever go for broke, could rival that in Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, which I would say with conviction has the best 3D character animation in any game I've ever played.
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2013, 04:35:45 PM »
I love when Luigi stands under water and he starts whistling and scrubbing himself.

I love how Luigi has weight when he runs around in circles (and can bump into the other Luigis in Scarescraper).

I love Scarescraper.

The second mansion boss was a little anticlimactic because I accidentally read the interviews where they said the boss is the stairs, and I was thinking it was going to be that huge staircase going around that you saw earlier, and then I thought it was going to be the really tall one you climb up on the boss level, and then it turned out to be a small one. Now I really want to play a game where that giant go-around staircase is a boss somehow.

This game is really good.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2013, 06:10:19 PM »
I finished it. Great game. 10/10 would ghostbust again
It's YOUR problem!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2016, 01:50:41 AM »
Began a second playthrough a couple days ago. I'd forgotten how good it was. Thought I'd bring it up and bump the thread as a reminder that Paper Mario wasn't the only outlet for personality in Mario games. If you're disappointed about Color Splash, try Dark Moon, or play it again.
It's YOUR problem!

Print