Print

Author Topic: Luigi's Mansion 2  (Read 28068 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2012, 07:38:37 PM »
While this is true, I believe we should give the game the benefit of the doubt. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is currently in a similar position to what Pikmin 2 was facing while in development. Pikmin is a short and atmospheric game that loses something by adding more video-gamey elements and a longer game, which Pikmin 2 did. And certainly it is a different game despite having the same basic gameplay. However, it managed to stand out in its own regard, and many consider it to be the superior game.
Hmm, good point... then again, while I liked the expanded variety in Pikmin 2, the product placement, recycled areas, and the fact that it was a dungeon crawler kinda turned me off in the long run.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 09:26:46 PM »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 10:56:16 AM »
Alright the complaints about NSMB's samey-ness are one thing but now it sounds like you're picking nits for the hell of it.

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 11:30:43 AM »
It doesn't look too bad. It looks just like a portable sequel to a console game should look, I think.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 11:55:56 PM »
It looks much better in motion than it does in those screenshots, but it's still hard not to miss all the detailed, atmospheric textures of the original. To be fair, though, it's an intentionally different art style (which coincidentally does happen to blend in quite well with the bright cartoony style of all the other games, but that's another story), and probably one that works better on a handheld than would a darker, more texture-heavy style, lending greater visibility to help balance out the smaller, usually less brightly-lit screen of the 3DS as compared to a TV.

Though that again raises the question... why not make it on Wii U?

It'll be a good game, I'm sure, but... different. And I don't like things that are different. Every Luigi's Mansion sequel should be exactly like the original, because I don't like things that are different.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2012, 10:36:33 AM »
Now you want graphical sameness?  My sarcasm detector may be broken.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2012, 03:24:58 PM »
the only thing that i dont like about the LM2 is the design of the ghosts, they look very weird.
people who hack sports games, obviously didn't make the team!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2012, 05:00:24 PM »
What's your standard of weirdness, exactly?

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2012, 04:38:28 AM »
I guess you could say it's kind of weird when you consider that Nintendo tries to establish character images, i.e. 3D Mario will never change appearance; but for something standard like ghosts, I guess they reserve the right to change them up.

Also, I'll miss portrait ghosts.
Unwillingly, but successfully! Twice!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2012, 10:32:40 PM »
Next Level Games is making this. Tertiary characters tend to be different from developer to developer.

Edit: Come to think of it, they never said Portrait Ghosts were gone. They haven't really said anything about how this game works aside from there being multiple mansions.

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2012, 09:02:05 AM »
Huh, hope they're included. That was a strong point of the first.
Unwillingly, but successfully! Twice!

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2012, 09:43:11 AM »
What's your standard of weirdness, exactly?

well, the ghosts have body parts that are extreme to each other, like their heads are HUGE and their arms arent as big as usual. and their voices are quirky.  but nor in a bad way!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2012, 02:09:18 PM »
Mario has a big head, short arms, and a quirky voice. I guess he's too weird for his own series.

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2012, 07:42:39 PM »
i didnt mean it in a bad way! im sorry if i upset you. its not like the design of the ghosts are repulsive to me. besides, i kinda like it that way, it takes away the element of fear and replaces it with something funny! thats something only nintendo can accomplish!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »
By the way, I really liked the product placement in Pikmin 2.

Print