Print

Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. 2  (Read 33743 times)

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 02:15:57 PM »
I guess it won't be too bad as long as they can come up with another word that ends in "ii" for the third console version (after New Super Mario Bros. Mii).
New Super Mario Bros. Zii?
(I am referring to something here)

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 09:45:18 PM »
I honestly enjoy them bringing back lots of past elements.

On top of that, when they do a mix of nostalgic/familiar elements and brand new elements, it makes it fantastic. The SMG series is a prime example of that.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 09:35:52 PM »
Looks like fun, but I think it's about time for Nintendo to do some moderate revamps to the graphics and such for the Mario games. Each game doesn't need to look totally different, but since Super Mario Galaxy, each game looks so similar that they're almost indistinguishable.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 10:56:11 PM »
Eight Years: Then And Now

Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, 1986

Super Mario USA, 1988

Super Mario Land, 1989

Super Mario Bros. 3, 1990

Super Mario World, 1991

Super Mario Land 2, 1992

Yoshi's Island, 1995

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Super Mario Bros., 2005

New Super Mario Bros. Wii, 2009

New Super Mario Bros. Mii, 2011/12

New Super Mario Bros. 2, 2012

Yeah.

(NSMB2 somehow doesn't have a screenshot yet of shooting a fireball in front of a pyramid, but it will in two weeks.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:04:41 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 12:00:43 PM »
Oh, [dukar], there's that Mii thing AND this?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 02:20:11 PM »
snip
I agree with the concept, but if you are going to put YI in the first eight you should put YIDS in the second.  It came out in 2006.  I guess you could argue that it's not a Super Mario game by title, but if you want to go by title...  Why'd you include SML, but not SML3DS? 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

CrossEyed7

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 04:39:52 PM »
Fair point. And Super Princess Peach too. Mostly because I couldn't quickly find or procure a shot from them of Mario shooting a fireball in front of a pyramid, and also if I'd included SM3DL I would've had to include the Galaxies too, and the point would've gotten muddled.

I still think it's a fairly fair comparison, though. It's the progression of the Super Mario Bros. series. SML1 and 2 and YI were part of the SMB series at the time, though in retrospect we consider them their own serieses. They tried dramatically different visual styles from game to game. Look at SMAS, where instead of just porting it all to SMW graphics, they kept the unique style of each game (except for the subtle differences between SMB and TLL, which were glossed over). And just when it looked like they might settle on the SMW style after it was used in SML2 (and Mario Paint, and various other SNES games), Miyamoto said screw it and made YI (in protest against being pressured to make it look like DKC... which would have looked quite a bit like NSMB).

The graphical style of the current games considered part of the core SMB series has not changed at all. NSMBW, NSMB2 and NSMBM are just higher-res versions of the same graphics of the same worlds of NSMB seven years ago. And whereas YI back then was an out-of-nowhere massive graphical shakeup, YIDS's graphical style was a safe, sanitized copy of YI. And in that sense, there hasn't been any equivalent of YI, or PM for that matter. No stylistic surprises. Everything is safe.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 10:35:25 PM »
Mostly because I couldn't quickly find or procure a shot from them of Mario shooting a fireball in front of a pyramid, and also if I'd included SM3DL I would've had to include the Galaxies too, and the point would've gotten muddled.

In other words "If you want people to think you're right about something you only show them the parts of the story that most clearly support your view"
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 11:47:45 PM »
pretty much

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2012, 07:09:17 PM »
As far as style, newer 2D Mario games have seemed too flat and too linear. The only thing I can say is that they should make the 2D sidescrollers look on par with Donkey Kong Country Returns. That, to me, set a great standard for how a Mario sidescroller should look as far as its style, how dynamic, deep, organic, and 'alive' it looks and plays, and the infinite amount of variety that doesn't keep you locked to a horizontal, flat, linear plane.

You could cite [Square] as trying to do something similar on SNES with SMRPG. [Rare] always tried to put a ton of detail into the original DKC series, [similar to Square].
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 10:24:47 PM by Trainman »

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2012, 07:38:17 PM »
Rare

At least it rhymes with Square.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2012, 08:41:25 PM »
Rare
Making a connection with the pre-rendered graphics, there? Rare had nothing to do with SMRPG.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2012, 10:22:53 PM »
Yeah I kind of realized I was referencing the wrong thing the entire time.

My bad.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 11:44:11 AM »
Yeah, pretty much.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print