Print

Author Topic: Read Up some Sean Malstrom Topics...  (Read 48223 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2016, 10:31:36 PM »
Okay, new game; everyone pick your favorite quote from this one.

My pick: "Donkey Kong Country Something Freeze: When Rare made Donkey Kong Country 2, the game had PIRATES. Vikings are lame. The entire mythos of the game seems lame."
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2016, 11:23:29 PM »
Regarding A Link Between Worlds: "Why would I care to play a 16-bit-ish game in the year 2013?"

Isn't this the guy for whom gaming died in 1996? Why would he care to not play a 16-bit-ish game, ever?
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2016, 01:46:04 AM »
"Nintendo hopes this will end 2d Mario."

heheheheheeehehehehehheheheeehehhheheeehheheheeeheheeh

I mean, that was said with the context of New Mario 2 and New Mario U being made at the same time for some reason. I agree that by all logic 3D World and Mario Maker SHOULD spell the end for New Super Mario Bros.--one is a natural evolution of SMB and the other is essentially all the SMB that you could ever want, and now would be an opportune time to just put it on hiatus again and really try doing new things with Mario, but that is never ever ever ever ever ever going to happen because at this point New Super Mario Bros. is like Nintendo's cup of coffee, a routine grind. If Nintendo hopes anything about 2D Mario it's that you won't notice that they aren't changing much and that you aren't tired of the Koopalings
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2016, 06:27:14 AM »
Hasn't it been four years since Mario U, though? I was under the impression Mario Maker would act as a sort of Mario outlet for Nintendo for the forseeable future, especially since it seems to be getting consistent significant updates.

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2016, 08:24:06 AM »
He doesn't count Japan, as he sees it as a dying nation that is in serious decline.
 Only the west financially matters, it seems.

so Japanese money isn't money.

if anyone wants a chuckle, there's a great thread highlighthing the worst of Sean's double-think, failure to understand how game works, and general retardation.

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2016, 02:27:00 PM »
"Wind Waker's style is atrocious"
I have a feeling he's the kind of person that calls Undertale a tumblr game and then says the Mother series is hipster garbage.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2016, 02:59:11 PM »
He's so out of touch I don't think he even knows what a "tumblr" or "hipster" is.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2016, 05:35:49 PM »
I think it's important for a games journalist to be transparent about their biases. That way the consumer can compare themselves to the journalist and make an informed decision. And I cannot tell what Malstrom looks for in a game. He's awfully inconsistent. But I can tell that he says a lot of things a 13-year-old says so maybe he hasn't gotten to a point where he can critically think about things like what makes a game good or bad.

Such as

Zelda is a RPG

literally the thing 13-year-olds are always saying when they don't know [dukar] and think they do
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2016, 07:29:33 PM »
"Nintendo hopes this will end 2d Mario."
His theory there is that Miyamoto hates making 2D Marios now and wants to move on to 3D Mario but Nintendo is forcing him to make 2D Marios because they sell. And Malstrom thinks that if a game maker gets to make the game they want to make, they're being selfish and the game will suck.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2016, 05:11:15 AM »
I think it's important for a games journalist to be transparent about their biases. That way the consumer can compare themselves to the journalist and make an informed decision. And I cannot tell what Malstrom looks for in a game. He's awfully inconsistent. But I can tell that he says a lot of things a 13-year-old says so maybe he hasn't gotten to a point where he can critically think about things like what makes a game good or bad.

Such as

literally the thing 13-year-olds are always saying when they don't know [dukar] and think they do
He means an Action RPG, like Gauntlet, or The Tower of Druaga. A Cross between Arcade action and Adventure RPG. Back then, this was revolutionary.

His theory there is that Miyamoto hates making 2D Marios now and wants to move on to 3D Mario but Nintendo is forcing him to make 2D Marios because they sell. And Malstrom thinks that if a game maker gets to make the game they want to make, they're being selfish and the game will suck.
Does he have any proof or evidence on this?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2016, 06:39:56 AM »
Of course he doesn't.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2016, 12:12:21 PM »
Quote from: Malstrom
What makes a woman interesting to men?

The truth is that interesting women needs youth, big boobs, long legs, long hair, and an hourglass figure to be interesting to men. The more women go away from this, the less interesting they become to men. This is why women when inevitably age, they become more and more invisible to men. It is just Nature at work.
And we should only hope that women wish to be depicted as sex objects for that is how they become love objects as well. No man wants to marry a women they aren’t attracted to. Last I checked, marriage rates were plummeting in the West. Perhaps journalists should strive for ‘positive change’ by suggesting to women to be depicted more as sex objects so they can attract a man for marriage before they get too old. That would truly help women and make men happier as well.
It IS sad that women can’t find themselves sensibly portrayed in the games they play. It is not because the women in the games are ‘too attractive’, it is because the women playing them tend to be ‘too fat’. It is sad for women that they are fat. It is also sad for men. What John Walker should do is to advise women to get in shape and try to look like the depictions of women that men are attracted to. This would be ‘positive change’ we could all get behind.
[x]
holy [dukar] this guy's a ******

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2016, 02:47:46 PM »
He's the ****ing strawman people like Anita Sarkeesian use.
He is literally making everyone dumber by existing.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2016, 10:09:59 PM »
It's like if a pick-up artist somehow became obsessed with the NES.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2016, 08:29:12 PM »
I'm Back and I have found this. The date was from August 19, 2012
https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2012/08/19/are-nintendo-developers-in-touch-with-the-market/

Every other game company seems to understand this. You don’t see Capcom making Street Fighter 5 where Guile talks about his feelings and Chun-Li wonders if she will ever get married. Characters in video games are just cool avatars for the players, nothing more.

"Tall, blond, and handsome -- you're my type of guy... But do you have to carry that hammer everywhere?" ~Chun Li, to Thor, Marvel VS Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds for the PS3 & XBOX 360.

The irony is that Malstrom would often fawn over stories, characters, and lore in PC Titles, like Ultima and Command and Conquer.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:23:16 PM by 4 Game Freak »

Print