Print

Author Topic: Is Shigeru Miyamoto Good for Nintendo?  (Read 21575 times)

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 10:21:21 AM »
Trouble is, Nintendo is in the process of making crappy sequels. Everything feels like it's already been done before.
No, they aren't. Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 are not the equivalent of Aladdin and the King of Thieves and Cinderella III: A Twist in Time. They are A-grade, S-rank, 10/10 quality efforts that rival/surpass the best the series have ever been.

I can understand if you crave more new IP but Nintendo ain't "making crappy sequels". Kirby, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, (upcoming) Zelda, they're all suuuper good right now.

P.S. Splatoon is Nintendo's Frozen

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 05:10:40 PM »
No Earthbound games since 1995 and we still get their characters?

Huh, weird.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 10:34:49 AM »
No, they aren't. Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 are not the equivalent of Aladdin and the King of Thieves and Cinderella III: A Twist in Time. They are A-grade, S-rank, 10/10 quality efforts that rival/surpass the best the series have ever been.

I can understand if you crave more new IP but Nintendo ain't "making crappy sequels". Kirby, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, (upcoming) Zelda, they're all suuuper good right now.

P.S. Splatoon is Nintendo's Frozen
...are you serious?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2016, 11:06:59 AM »
I can't say much about Splatoon as I haven't played it myself, but you better not be implying Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Kirby Planet Robobot and Yoshi's Woolly World are anything less than fan-effing-tastic.

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2016, 03:30:48 PM »
Fire Emblem Fates came out in February and has one of the largest amount of total playtime and average playtime on my 3DS since my 2011 formatting.
I mean, New Super Mario Bros 2 and Yoshi's New Island were eh, but they were far from crappy, and those are the worst sequels from Nintendo I've seen in a while.
Literally the only series that has had an objectively bad sequel recently is Animal Crossing, but honestly that's Nintendo's worst series so I don't care.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2016, 04:01:22 PM »
There's Paper Mario Color Splash, which would be a good sequel if Sticker Star was the only other Paper Mario game.

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2016, 08:58:18 PM »
Oh yeah,  I forgot about Sticker Star (I'm not counting Color Splash until it's released, even if it sucking is guaranteed).
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 04:33:13 PM »
Splatoon is pretty solid. I've played it and it's definitely a good one.

I am aware of the Mother sequels, but wasn't counting them since none of them had a USA release--yet their characters continue to appear in USA games like Smash Brothers.

As for the other games...they may not be totally bad Disney sequel quality, but they're getting to be worn out and old. Wooly World is the one I haven't played yet of that list, but a friend told me it was good, even though it did remind him of a slightly updated Yoshi's Story.

Mario Kart 8 may be a decent game, but it just seems on par with a local news broadcast. They are trying to cram too much in and are killing the quality as a result. Seriously, there are like 30 racers in that game, and it's like the Christmas Card list where I don't even know half of them anymore. The number of carts is also ridiculous. The original appeal of Mario Kart was its simplicity, up through the GBA game. The same can be said for Smash.

Mario Maker and Splatoon are the new Nintendo to me. Everything else is in dire need of a makeover. Even the music is getting stale...I used to love Nintendo soundtracks, but I haven't heard a good one since Galaxy.

I am aware there is some new Pokemon game out there, but I could care less about Pokemon and have ignored it since day one. Not my kind of thing. Still, it's nice to see Nintendo in the spotlight as a result of that.

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2016, 05:02:50 PM »
Honestly, I would like to see almost all of Nintendo to get a "Reboot."

A fresh, new, start(or restart) on almost all their IP's. Just with the right people, of course.

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 05:48:13 PM »
What do you mean by that? Because they already "Reboot" constantly:

Super Mario 64 was a reboot
New Super Mario Bros. was a reboot
Super Mario 3D Land was a reboot
Almost every Zelda is a sort of reboot, with Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild being HUGE reboots
Star Fox 64 was a reboot
Star Fox Zero was a reboot
Metroid Prime was a reboot
The Paper Mario series has at least repeatedly changed styles, if not totally rebooted
Donkey Kong '94 was a reboot
Donkey Kong Country was a reboot
Kid Icarus Uprising was a reboot

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2016, 07:04:45 PM »
Yeah, the term gets pretty broadly thrown around these days. At this point, I feel like it just means "not explicitly a sequel, or at least doesn't have a number in the title." Personally, I feel like a new installment in a series has to dramatically retcon a character or at least have significant tonal and stylistic differences to be a "reboot."
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2016, 07:45:40 PM »
What do you mean by that? Because they already "Reboot" constantly:

Super Mario 64 was a reboot
New Super Mario Bros. was a reboot
Super Mario 3D Land was a reboot
Almost every Zelda is a sort of reboot, with Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild being HUGE reboots
Star Fox 64 was a reboot
Star Fox Zero was a reboot
Metroid Prime was a reboot
The Paper Mario series has at least repeatedly changed styles, if not totally rebooted
Donkey Kong '94 was a reboot
Donkey Kong Country was a reboot
Kid Icarus Uprising was a reboot

Go back to the very beginning and start over(mostly in terms of content).

That, or just pull a Neo Mortal Kombat.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2016, 02:11:03 AM »
Lizard Dude is talking about the gameplay

In case that wasn't obvious

I can't believe they rebooted Dead Rising, every game in the DR2 series was so good, gaaaaa
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2016, 03:16:44 PM »
Super Mario 64 wasn't a reboot in terms of gameplay. The only thing that it brought back were some classic tunes and enemies (plus the basic plot).

StarFox 64, I'll give you that one, total reboot albeit with better graphics and sound. (I like 64 better though personally).

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2016, 04:59:53 PM »
Super Mario 64 wasn't a reboot in terms of gameplay.

??????????????

Print