Print

Author Topic: Znes movie file of a SMW "speed run"  (Read 2766 times)

« on: February 02, 2003, 08:00:56 AM »
Hi there.

I've long been a fan of speed run demos in different games, i.e completing a level or game as fast as possible while recording a demo of that run.
Now, as a long time Mario fan I've been searching a while for movie files from Super Mario World, a game that suits speed running very well! Thus far I've mostly come across movie files of glitches and bugs (many from this site) but almost no runs what so ever.

Since this site/forum seems to be a hub for Mario knowledge I was wondering if there is a collection of SMW speed runs, recorded in Znes or similar emulators, available somewhere on the net. A start to finish demo would be very neat.

Thanks.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2003, 08:27:44 PM »
Hmm, I'm not familiar with any...

I write poetry when I`m not looking.
That was a joke.

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2003, 08:40:07 PM »
Try www.zophar.net. They usually have a lot of ZSNES movies.

Edited by - CashCrazed on 2/3/2003 8:12:23 PM

"I'm a stupid fatty and I like to play with my Easy Bake oven." - frostbite

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2003, 12:05:07 PM »
Thanks, but it seems that the SMW run on Zophar.net is a fake one, although I gonna check out the mario cart movies, might be fun :)

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2003, 10:11:48 PM »
One of the Mario Kart movies there is mine. It's the one that says "zmv-zm3) Battle stages 1-4 (he wins 1, I win the rest)". What I fought was a little AI project I did on ZSNES for Mario Kart Battle(as you could obviously see by the fact that he only makes right hand turns).

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2003, 12:58:23 AM »
Forget my "fake" statement, it seems like the longer movies lose sync after a while (3 levels or so), which leads to Mario running into the void, lava, etc repeatedly. The Mario kart movies is totally pointless since they loose sync after less then a lap and the rest of the time is spent bumping walls.

Do I need the exact Znes version to get a correct playback or is there other tricks I might try to get this working again? None of this happens on the short "tricks and bugs" demos btw...

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2003, 03:58:50 PM »
You need the exact version of ZSNES that movie was recorded with. I may release another movie of my "Mario Kart Battle AI" project on there soon with the newest version of ZSNES.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2003, 08:55:00 PM »
I have the newest version of ZSNES... and it hasn't even been released yet!
I got it from some guy and it lets you play the Star Fox 2 final beta without the screen flashing black every other frame.

That was a joke.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2003, 06:18:50 PM »
My Mario Kart Battle AI is pretty dumb right now. It runs into walls a lot and doesn't make very good use of items(fires them at walls, for instance). Watch 2 AI karts fight is pretty lame though, constantly running into walls and almost never scoring hits on each other. 3 times I've seen it clear a wall corner with a feather, that was pretty cool, but it still needs work. I purposely lost on the first movie to show how the AI could evetually demonstrate a PURPOSE. What I want to do is find somebody bad enough at Mario Kart to LOSE a round to my AI(unintentionally, that is). Making a good AI in Mario Kart is pretty hard though(unlike the programmed racers who just follow a path and use specified items over and over. That's pretty much cheating! But Battle is a lot different). I have nobody who likes MK Battle to play it with(usually my mentioning of my undefeated record in it scares people off), so that's why I have developed this.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2003, 06:51:05 PM »
My MK (NOT MK64. My friend can destroy me in MK64 Battle... but in Racing I beat him 9/10 times.) Battle record is undefeated too. I would NOT be afraid to play you... if I lived by you. In my school, no one is realy that good at any Mario Kart game.

Of course, what I like to do when I go to someone's house is put in their MK64 cartridge if they have one, and go a 0:30.00 or something like that on Frappe Snowland 3-lap. Makes them wonder what happened.

Back on topic. SMW? Na, I was never a HUGE SMW Speed Run fan, but I did do SMW2 Speed Runs for a while. I THINK my best times on some courses (If you want to beat them) Are:

Marching Milde's Fort (100) - 7'11"86
Marching Milde's Fort (Any score) - 6'36"11
Run Like the Wind (Any score) - 57"39
Beware the Spinning Logs (100) - 1'19"96
Tap Tap the Red Nose's Fort  (Any score) - 4'58"02

Those are a few of my favorite Speed Run courses. I don't know if those are my EXACT times... I'll find my recording sheets somewhere.

I have 3 categories: Any score clearing, 80+ clearing, and 100 clearing.

I can't remember my 80+ times for any level.

Everyone has their own opinions, no matter how WRONG they are.
~I.S.~

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2003, 07:09:50 PM »
Oh well, my horrible luck will probably kick in somebody and give me nothing but mushrooms and my opponent nothing but red shells. A lot of times, MK Battle is decided upon luck.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2003, 08:23:02 PM »
I'd take you guys on in MK64 if I could. I'm not as good in SMK... and it's only two-player...
How do you make the AI, anyway? I don't think I know how you would go about that.

That was a joke.

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2003, 10:45:45 PM »
I've also used the same technique to make AI for the Megaman 7 VS mode. The Bass AI is actually fairly good, too; sometimes it can even BEAT me! And I've also tried AI for the SMB3 Mario Bros. Battle minigame on SMAS, but it just DOESN'T work at ALL for that game.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2003, 01:04:41 AM »
But how do you do it?

I fear the monkey in your soul.
That was a joke.

Print