Print

Author Topic: How did you first hear of Mario?  (Read 8446 times)

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« on: July 28, 2006, 12:27:59 AM »
I thought this would be an interesting topic on here, especially since my story is a bit unique (at least among people I know around my area).

I had no idea who or what Mario was until the fall of 1990. There were Mario toys being given away with Happy Meals, two of which I still have sitting around somewhere. One was a suction cup Mario that sprang up after a while and the other was a Luigi on a cloud with wings. I think there were two others in that series that I don't have.

I had originally thought Mario was some Saturday morning cartoon until a friend told me it was a video game. Other than a computer the only video game system in my house was an Atari 2600 that my mother had bought in 1982. I asked if it ran on the Atari, and they said that it didn't. But I kept the toys around because I thought they were pretty neat.

The first Mario game I owned or played was Mario Teaches Typing back in 1994. We had this at my school and used it in a class that taught us typing. I wound up buying a copy of it for my computer at home, and I credit it for my keyboarding skills to this day.

Through all these years I never held any sort of Nintendo controller until December 1996 when I played one at a friend's house. We played a baseball game. I'd been playing tee ball since I was a toddler, had been hitting without a tee starting around age four, played competitively, and I found electronic baseball to be challenging yet entertaining.

I got a Nintendo 64 in April 1997. I wasn't supposed to get one. My grandparents were going to take me to Disney World. However, we all got sick right before we were supposed to go. I was fine, but my grandparents were hit hard and were unable to go. They wanted to get me something, and bought me a Nintendo 64 with Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64. I bought Triple Play Baseball shortly thereafter.

I was in fourth grade at the time and was the only guy in the entire class without a Nintendo. I think that's why they got me the system. So on those days I couldn't play ball (if it was raining outside or something, which it did a lot of that summer) I had a Nintendo to play.

The reason I got a Game Cube in 2001 when it came out is because I had Triple Play 2000 and it was getting old and all the rosters had changed, so I wanted a new game with updated ones and new players.

Mario Kart became my stress relief, and also my mom's stress relief.

So that's my story of how I came to know about Mario.

I know a lot of you are more into this stuff, so hopefully you guys have more exciting stories to share!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 12:50:21 AM »
Already done. But don't worry, one of the mods can merge the topics.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 10:15:34 AM »
Man, Abercrombie, you sir are no serious Mario fan.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 10:32:08 AM »
Well, at least he posts meaningfully, and he likes mario period. We've had some serious Noobs(Think marioguy and Fairemaster) in the past. Even if AbercrombieBaseball isn't as obsessed as some of us, he's a respectable member of the forum, and not a total idiot.

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 10:59:45 AM »
I think he's quite intellegent. All of his posts are very well written.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 01:25:18 PM »
I didn't know the topic was "How do you think of AbercrombieBaseball?".  That's right, I'm being sarcastic!

My older brothers had a Super Nintendo Entertainment System(SNES) when I was born, and our neighbors had a Sega Genesis.  Or maybe it was the other way around... Anyway, in 1996 they traded in the SNES for an Nintendo 64(N64).  The N64 was the coolest thing ever.  I never played it though, because it looked hard and my brothers were always playing and they were good and sometimes they didn't even let me watch because they thought I was messing them up.  Then over summer vacation when I turned eight, I went to Indiana to visit my mother's sister's family, aka my cousins.  They also had an N64, and often played Yoshi's Story and Banjo Kazooie while we were there.  When we got back home, I was eager to play Banjo Kazooie, so we rented it and got as far as Bubblegloop Swamp.  Then we bought it. :D  This was the first game I actually played.  My siblings already had a wide array of N64 games that I could play whenever they were off doing other older kid stuff.  I still can't play Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, nor can I understand the football games we have, but Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 were my favorite.  Actually, we lost Super Mario 64 on a trip to Hawaii or something, so I got that game again for Christmas.  Shortly after I got a GameBoy Color (GBC) to play the ever popular Pokemon and Super Mario Bros Deluxe.  Later on, I got a GameCube(GCN) with Super Mario Sunshine.  And a year later, I bought the GBA from my friend for like $70, with Mario Kart Super Circuit included.  By then I was twelve.  From then on, I got some more games, mostly Mario, and I think it is a fun franchise.  but I don't plan on getting the Wii, because I already have a bunch of games for the past systems and don't really look forward to the games they're making for the next system.  Maybe one day... but for now, I'm content with my gaming collection.  I'm also scared of spending money, so blah. XP
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 03:10:20 PM »
To tell the truth, I can't even remember how I first heard of Mario. It's almost as if I was born with the knowledge of his existance already in my mind.

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 04:21:18 PM »
My brother showed me SMB when I was 2, and I played as the second player. This could be a reason why green is a favorite color of mine.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 05:20:09 PM »
The first mario game I've ever played was super mario advance,however,that was only a rental.And I didn't get far. The first mario game I've ever owned was sma2.Or maybe it was sms... I know for a fact sms was my first mario console game I owned. I beleive I heard of mario prior to the release of sma.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 05:51:50 PM »
When I was four my mom won a free SNES in a contest. It had SMW and I think SMAS with it. My dad got an N64 with a bunch of games for free from his friends when I was 12.

First played SMW2: 7
SSB: 12
SSBM: 13
M64: 14
Paper Mario: 14
PM2: 15

First saw TMK: 12

Senior Mariology professor

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 09:13:19 PM »
Yes, I know I'm not as obsessed with Mario as most of you guys. But I must say, the Mario games I've played have all been entertaining!

I've been browsing around here a lot lately since my cousin is coming to visit next week and is hopelessly addicted to Double Dash. The last time she was here I only won about a third of the matches against her, and keep in mind my cousin is only 11 years old. I'm almost 20, so I'm supposed to have better reflexes and skills in general, so I'm looking around for any hints I can get so I can win over half of those matches this time! Yes, I'm a pretty competitive person, but I think having played organized sports for years does that to anyone.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2006, 07:54:49 AM »
If you really want to know everything there is to know about Mario, search every nook and cranny of the sight. You'll find quite a few interesting things.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 01:43:23 PM »
To tell the truth, I can't even remember how I first heard of Mario. It's almost as if I was born with the knowledge of his existance already in my mind.
Same here.  Although the eariest I can remember was watching the Dr. Mario (GB) ad on a taped thing of Disney's Robin Hood a loooooooooooooooooooooong time ago.  You know the commercial where those two boys get chicken pox at the end?  I may have heard of the Mario games even before that.

First Mario Game I played: SMW
First Mario Game I bought: MK64
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 06:03:05 PM »
The first time I remember seeing Mario for sure is at my cousins' house, on their NES. That's also where I first saw Zelda and Final Fantasy.

There is, however, the possibility that I saw Donkey Kong in an arcade before then but didn't realize it or make the connection.

jeevananthan

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 07:05:53 PM »
I first saw mario in a commercial for super mario advance4 super mario bros3 for gba so out of the blue I want to buy it so when I bought it I liked it so much I want to buy another so my next game I bought yoshis island so I was stucked in that game I rembered when I was 99% clear of the whole game I just needed to get 1 more flower and 2 more coins to go on world 5 secret finely I gaved up for a month then I bought super mario world it was easy to beat 100% clear then I went back on yoshi's island tying to get 100% and finely I beat it. so I was trying to find my smb 3 but I LOST IT! even though I got 100% on it I wanted to play it but I coudent find it. now I wanted to get smb 2 but it was rare to get for gba at that time so I got mario vs dk and I loved it because it was a puzzle game so I played and got 100% I had a golden crown on my file so I bought yoshi topsy turvy and it was the fasted game to get 100% so then they where selling smb2 for players coice so I bought it and smb3 again so I got it and got 100% for it and the I got a ds lite so I bought new super mario bros and 100% and very high scores for mini games I also played the classic mario bros I feel like Im marios #1 fan and NO ONE HELPED ME NOT EVEN NP OR ANY GIUDES! plese reply to this people.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 07:14:11 PM »
Uh....... what?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 08:48:35 PM »
So your first Mario game was in 2003? I feel REALLY old now. Get me my cane, sonny.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 08:59:12 PM »
Claiming you're Mario's #1 fan when you've know on of him for three years is a bad idea.
I feel old too BirdPerson. REALLY OLD.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 10:35:14 PM »
Come on, guys, just as Neotev once said: " It's no contest, We sha'll respect every mario fan no matter how long the person has known of him. something, something, something." But I do admit, I also fell, somewhat old.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2006, 10:56:11 PM »
I've told this story many times, but it's good, so I'll tell it again.

My Grandma Rocks! SHe bought me an NES when I was like 3 or 4. She taught herself SMB and taught me how to play it. She would read me the game manual to SMB3 before I went to bed.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2006, 11:08:21 PM »
Hahahaha, that is genuinely awesome. I'm glad, however, that I was read more educational things at that age.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2006, 11:53:14 PM »
I used to read TV guides 0_o.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2006, 07:31:35 AM »
I've always felt old. It's because I tend to show an interest in old-fashioned things.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2006, 08:09:44 AM »
Wow.  I just realized this is a Mario board.  I always thought it was a place for forum games and stories.  Anyway, I probably first heard/encountered Mario when I got my first NES and SMB for Christmas.  Maybe I'd heard about him before and asked for the NES/SMB, but I don't remember. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

jeevananthan

• Banned
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2006, 08:42:51 AM »
Come on, guys, just as Neotev once said: " It's no contest, We sha'll respect every mario fan no matter how long the person has known of him. something, something, something." But I do admit, I also fell, somewhat old.
thxs

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2006, 09:46:05 AM »
I know how you feel when it comes to old. I missed the cutoff date for the next grade up at my school by five days. So I was pretty old (September 1986) compared to a lot of people I knew (most of whom seemed to be born in early 1987). Add on top of that all the underclassmen that I hung out with and I really showed my age.

When I was born, Barry Bonds was a rookie. Acura was in its first model year. Ronald Reagan was president, George W. Bush was 40 years old, and really nobody knew who Bill Clinton was. Music was still on cassettes and LPs for most people (I actually owned some LP albums as a kid, I played records until early 1991 when my turntable died). The internet wasn't around, people still relied on postal mail for letters, and Abercrombie & Fitch was still mostly a sporting goods store. Macy's was a relatively small company and hadn't eaten up every store chain yet. Gas could be found for under a dollar per gallon if you shopped around enough. The mullet was considered to be in fashion. And hardly anyone had a cell phone, and if they did, it looked like a brick (and sounded like a tin can).

I turn 20 in September. I miss the simpler times--even 1996 was a little better. None of this text messaging garbage that I'll never figure out, none of those silly Blue Tooth or whatever they're called sitting on people's ears and looking hideous, no Palm Pilots or devices like that cluttering things up, back when owning a 24" TV was the norm (the new ones are just too big), in the days before cars had to have dual air bags, before Barry Bonds took steroids (and he was nicer too back then, my dad met him in 1986).

There are only a few things I'd miss about today:

-AIM--it makes talking to a ton of people at the same time easy, plus it's just good to talk to people while trying to write a paper or something.
-All of Abercrombie & Fitch's recent clothing.
-The newer trance artists from Europe, especially ATB and 4 Strings.
-The Jeopardy game I have for my computer. I don't think they had one in 1986.
-My friends, who weren't born in 1986!

Wii

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2006, 03:54:18 AM »
The time since i've known Mario is pretty impressive. Since 1992. Beat that. What? You say that's easy? Not when you were BORN in 1992...
Honestly though, I ws born then, my parents played the game, I watched, before I could walk I could beat Bowser with my eyes closed on Super Mario World, and i've only got better since then.

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2006, 04:00:01 AM »
He came into our house and introduced himself.

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2006, 01:17:08 PM »
I first learned of Mario back in 1995, when I was nothing but a wee gamer. I went over to my friend Jeremy's house to play with his new Super Nes, when he took out a game called Mario All-Stars. We started playing SMB3 battle mode, and I was Luigi. It was then that I grew to become a huge Luigi fan, and five days later, I got a N64 with Mario Kart. The game was awesome, so naturally, I wanted more. So...........that's it. I have a ton of Mario games now, including the ones for NES and SNES (I bought both systems after 2 years on the 64).
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2006, 01:36:18 PM »
I've KNOWN of the Mario games for as long as I can remember, but I didn't become a FAN till the night my sister introduced me to Mario Kart 64 when I was 12(?).
Regards, Uncle Dolan

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2006, 08:07:34 PM »
Wii is a liar of course! Arest him! LOL!
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2006, 01:50:44 AM »
I have known about Mario since 1988 when I got my NES for xmas. I had the NES Action pack which included Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt. Duck Hunt was a very good in its day. But my interest for Mario soared in 1992 when I got my Super Nintedo console with Super Mario World which is still best Mario game around for me. Even though my SNES is starting to show its age now :). I tried the world of Sonic on the sega platforms but his series of games were nowhere near as much fun as Mario's game are - even now.

Print