Print

Author Topic: How did you first hear of Mario?  (Read 8431 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 07:14:11 PM »
Uh....... what?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 08:48:35 PM »
So your first Mario game was in 2003? I feel REALLY old now. Get me my cane, sonny.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 08:59:12 PM »
Claiming you're Mario's #1 fan when you've know on of him for three years is a bad idea.
I feel old too BirdPerson. REALLY OLD.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 10:35:14 PM »
Come on, guys, just as Neotev once said: " It's no contest, We sha'll respect every mario fan no matter how long the person has known of him. something, something, something." But I do admit, I also fell, somewhat old.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2006, 10:56:11 PM »
I've told this story many times, but it's good, so I'll tell it again.

My Grandma Rocks! SHe bought me an NES when I was like 3 or 4. She taught herself SMB and taught me how to play it. She would read me the game manual to SMB3 before I went to bed.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2006, 11:08:21 PM »
Hahahaha, that is genuinely awesome. I'm glad, however, that I was read more educational things at that age.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2006, 11:53:14 PM »
I used to read TV guides 0_o.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2006, 07:31:35 AM »
I've always felt old. It's because I tend to show an interest in old-fashioned things.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2006, 08:09:44 AM »
Wow.  I just realized this is a Mario board.  I always thought it was a place for forum games and stories.  Anyway, I probably first heard/encountered Mario when I got my first NES and SMB for Christmas.  Maybe I'd heard about him before and asked for the NES/SMB, but I don't remember. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

jeevananthan

• Banned
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2006, 08:42:51 AM »
Come on, guys, just as Neotev once said: " It's no contest, We sha'll respect every mario fan no matter how long the person has known of him. something, something, something." But I do admit, I also fell, somewhat old.
thxs

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2006, 09:46:05 AM »
I know how you feel when it comes to old. I missed the cutoff date for the next grade up at my school by five days. So I was pretty old (September 1986) compared to a lot of people I knew (most of whom seemed to be born in early 1987). Add on top of that all the underclassmen that I hung out with and I really showed my age.

When I was born, Barry Bonds was a rookie. Acura was in its first model year. Ronald Reagan was president, George W. Bush was 40 years old, and really nobody knew who Bill Clinton was. Music was still on cassettes and LPs for most people (I actually owned some LP albums as a kid, I played records until early 1991 when my turntable died). The internet wasn't around, people still relied on postal mail for letters, and Abercrombie & Fitch was still mostly a sporting goods store. Macy's was a relatively small company and hadn't eaten up every store chain yet. Gas could be found for under a dollar per gallon if you shopped around enough. The mullet was considered to be in fashion. And hardly anyone had a cell phone, and if they did, it looked like a brick (and sounded like a tin can).

I turn 20 in September. I miss the simpler times--even 1996 was a little better. None of this text messaging garbage that I'll never figure out, none of those silly Blue Tooth or whatever they're called sitting on people's ears and looking hideous, no Palm Pilots or devices like that cluttering things up, back when owning a 24" TV was the norm (the new ones are just too big), in the days before cars had to have dual air bags, before Barry Bonds took steroids (and he was nicer too back then, my dad met him in 1986).

There are only a few things I'd miss about today:

-AIM--it makes talking to a ton of people at the same time easy, plus it's just good to talk to people while trying to write a paper or something.
-All of Abercrombie & Fitch's recent clothing.
-The newer trance artists from Europe, especially ATB and 4 Strings.
-The Jeopardy game I have for my computer. I don't think they had one in 1986.
-My friends, who weren't born in 1986!

Wii

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2006, 03:54:18 AM »
The time since i've known Mario is pretty impressive. Since 1992. Beat that. What? You say that's easy? Not when you were BORN in 1992...
Honestly though, I ws born then, my parents played the game, I watched, before I could walk I could beat Bowser with my eyes closed on Super Mario World, and i've only got better since then.

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2006, 04:00:01 AM »
He came into our house and introduced himself.

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2006, 01:17:08 PM »
I first learned of Mario back in 1995, when I was nothing but a wee gamer. I went over to my friend Jeremy's house to play with his new Super Nes, when he took out a game called Mario All-Stars. We started playing SMB3 battle mode, and I was Luigi. It was then that I grew to become a huge Luigi fan, and five days later, I got a N64 with Mario Kart. The game was awesome, so naturally, I wanted more. So...........that's it. I have a ton of Mario games now, including the ones for NES and SNES (I bought both systems after 2 years on the 64).
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2006, 01:36:18 PM »
I've KNOWN of the Mario games for as long as I can remember, but I didn't become a FAN till the night my sister introduced me to Mario Kart 64 when I was 12(?).
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Print