Print

Author Topic: Try escaping this one, Mcgyver.  (Read 8487 times)

« on: August 01, 2006, 04:52:25 PM »
 I've adopted this game from another forum. The premise of the game is simple; someone posts a situation, describing the surroundings, what's happening and what player has on hand. The next poster has to post a solution using the items given. Here is an example:

Poster 1: You wake up in a paded, white room with a stray jacket on. You've been framed. The mental hospital is closed, meaning no one is inside save for you and the other loonies. The paded room is featureless except one door with a window on it that leads to a hallway. With in your grasp is a smoothed stone and an expired credit card. What do you do?

Poster 2: I use my legs to throw the stone at the window. I then pick up a glass shard with my foot and us it to cut open the stray jacket. All with my foot. Good thing I took those yoga lessons! I place the credit card between the crack in the door, which opens it. There, I escaped

Then poster 2 would post another situation.(also, you don't have to use all the items given to you.)

I'll start. You find yourself armpit deep in quicksand. The quicksand is in a deep pit. Your arms are still free. You have a clothes pin, a short peice of string(shorter than the pit) and some silly putty. What would you do?
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 09:35:04 PM »
Oh boy, a thinking game!

After affixing the string to the wall with silly putty (a precautionary measure), I do what no person would ever do in quicksand: dive down. It's an urban setting, you see, and I believe there may be more than meets the eye. Using skills as a treasure hunter and free diver, I quickly find a cold spot, where the sand is moving and easier to move through. Behold! A concrete pipe through which I easily muscle my way through the cold current. In no time at all, I'm exiting through a storm drain grate and walking nonchalantly to my fancy apartment or something.

Now! You are trapped in the lavatory of a collapsing building! Wreckage, a circuit board, copper wire, a long piece of PVC pipe (you can't use that with hot water) are yours to use. Sadly, there are no ceiling vents (nice try, Bond). Try escaping this one, MacGyver.

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 09:05:36 AM »
Noticing how sharp the copper wire is, I string it through the PVC pipe.  This way, I safely harness myself while descending the outer wall--having tied the other end to a plumbing fixture.

It's 2 AM and you're in a vacuum store that closed 8 hours ago.  You are quadraplegic and diabetic:  You need an insulin shot within the next 30 minutes or you will most likely die.  You have a broken table leg in your mouth.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 09:33:44 AM »
I use my mouth to turn on all the vaccums in the store to "blow". Hopefully, the vaccum's power will be enough to blow the door of it's hinges. Luckly the hospital is nextdoor to the vaccum shop. I roll my way towards it.

You wake up in your regular bed at 3am in the mourning. 50 ninjas with many weapons surround you, ready to kill you. You pinch yourself. No, this isn't a dreram. You're remorsing on how you never took those karate lessons. You have a pillow, a snow globe, some duct-tape and your stuffed bear. Try escaping this one.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 05:34:34 PM »
You hold the snowglobe in front of you while a ninja breaks a small hole in it. You throw the "snow" into the eyes of many ninjas and throw the snowglobe's remains into the pillowcase. You attach a rope of duct tape firmly to the pillowcase, making a mace. This is used to kill more ninjas, whose weapons you steal. Not really knowing how to use them, you dash into battle and somehow win.

You're in an abandoned gas station's food mart. The doors and windows are boarded up and everything has been removed from the store except a crate of Coke, a clock, a broken cell phone, and a can of cooking spray.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 06:08:12 PM »
What kind of clock? (You know why you need to specify when I post.)

EDIT: (Getting info. from BP on MSNM.) You get the cola and pour it on the clock. It starts to spark (perhaps), and you catch the cell phone on fire. Scoot it close to the boarded door and spray the cooking spray into the flames to catch the boards on fire...when they're weak enough you kick yourself out.

You wake up and find yourself enclosed in a coffin. You are running out of oxygen and will perish if you don't get free. You have your tie, digital watch, Axe Bodyspray, and some paper clips. How do you escape this one Mcgyver?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 06:21:28 PM by G-Dawg »

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 09:39:47 PM »
(you didn't say If the coffin was buried) so I spray the spray on the boards, making them soft and wet, weakining them, then I use the watch and paper clips to chip my way out of the soft wood. Then I eat the tie because I'm hungry.

You find yourself stuck in a small room, all the walls are made of stone, but there is a door on one side, no windows or handles, made out of steel. But there is a large bomb that is ready to explode in 5 minutes, all you have is a sturdy board of thick plywood and a large couch, what do you do?
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 11:03:14 PM »
Hehe.  Well, I'll put the bomb right where the door's hinge meets the wall.  This way, it's win-win:  I don't know which is easier to blow up--a stone wall or a steel door.  It's the former, I imagine, but I suppose that depends on how thick it is.  I move the couch to the opposite end of the room, ideally into a corner, and flip it over using the plywood as a lever.  Hiding underneath, I wait patiently.

You have been cemented into the backside of a newly-built mountain dam.  There's a little breathing room for you, but your only free body parts are your head, neck, and right arm--sticking out uncomfortably from the cold wall.  3 feet away is an abandoned 2-year-old.  Next to him stands an ostrich, and there are sunflower seeds scattered all around.

Within 30 days, inspectors will arrive to survey the locale--but until then, the only human contact is the abandoned toddler.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 10:42:55 AM »
Method1: If the ostrich lays an egg, I'll use it to crack the wall (since ostrich eggs or so hard) and escape.

Method2: If the ostrich dosen't lay an egg or it dosen't break the wall, I'll lure the ostrich with the seeds. Then I'll knock him unconsious. I'll set something on fire using friction on my hand. After cooking the ostrich, I will ration it and the seeds until the inspectors come.

You're in a stuck in a steel box that is slowly decending into the ocean. There is no escape. The box is also filling up with water. You have a pair of scissors(dull), a pen, an elastic band and some masking tape.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 12:28:27 PM »
There is no escape.

I lose. Well, if you want me to ignore that comment, I tape the scissors and pen together to make a stronger tool. The box was not noted as locked, so I pry it open with the scissors-pen.

You are in a plane. Snakes are everywhere. It's rude to go through the luggage of others, so all you have on hand is a Nintendo DS, an Arizona key chain, a bag of Nutter Butters, a black Sharpie, and a hideous purple shirt.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 03:21:31 PM »
Heh, neat thread.

Ok, I'd first combine the DS, Nutter Butters, and part of that shirt together, and draw on it with the Sharpie to form a crude, somewhat disprotortioned human decoy. The snakes should (hopefully) attack this decoy, because it reeks of Nutter Butters and has a hideous shirt on. Then, I use the keychain to pry one of those parachute/seat cushion things off and jump out of the plane with it. Hope it works.

You're in a room that's roughly 20 feet cubed in dimension. All the walls are shatterproof, bulletproof one way mirrors with no windows or vents or cracks or the like, except there's a locked door of a similar material on one of the walls. It's hidden in a way that you can't figure out which wall it's on. You also happen to be tied to a chair (which isn't bolted to anything, and isn't particulary heavy, so it can move around the room with some effort). There's a wooden table in one corner with the following items that you can reach on it:

Deck of cards (1), missing the 8 of hearts for some reason
Can of Diet Pepsi (1)
Package of balloons (1, package contains 50 balloons)
Trout (1, also smells really bad)
Paper (15 sheets)
Packet of Markers (1, contains 16 markers, although only black, red, and yellow actually work)
Alarm clock (1, set to go off in about 10 minutes)

There's also a couple assorted rocks on the floor, but the way you're tied to the chair, you can't reach those in your current position. 'course, since the walls are shatterproof, you can't just throw them at the walls and expect them to break.

You hear footsteps, but can't glean from which side of the room they're coming from.

Your move, McGyver.
~I.S.~

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 10:04:25 PM »
Heh, neat thread.

Thanks!

Hm... tough one. I think I got an idea. I'll lay on my side, and rub the rope on the sharp rocks until they snap. Then, I'll grab a card, feel the walls for the door, Then use the card as if it were a credit card; stick it through a crack in the door. Thus opening it.

You're on a plane. The plan is infested with, that's right, snakes! Since the snakes were unleashed, you have hiden in the bathroom. However, the snakes have invaded the bathroom you're hiding in. There's about 30 snakes in the bathroom, all of them came through the door. If move towards the door, the snakes will lunge at you. In the bathroom is an empty toilet paper roll, a toilet brush and a bar of soap. What would you do?

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 10:32:20 PM »
I would stand on top of the toilet and use the brush to cripple the snakes. By elevating myself I'd be able to avoid them lashing at the bottom half of me, since the toilet tank would be in the way. When they were all unable to move, I'd find another area to hang out until the plane landed.

Put yourself in the following situation: You and your girlfriend are out for a Sunday drive. However, the road you normally take out to the country has landed you at the oceanside. There is no real beach, or civilization anywhere. All that exists is a pier that looks out onto the ocean. You park your car, an 18 year old Acura that runs great, to prevent further driving. Looking back you see the road appears to travel on forever. The turn you were supposed to turn at didn't exist--no traffic light or anything. Your girlfriend is scared.

All you have in the car is:
-a pencil
-an iPod
-a cell phone and charger but no signals in this area
-a map of the state of Ohio
-an ice scraper
-a math textbook
-a baseball bat
-$3.18 in change
-a tire pump
-only about an eighth of a tank of gas, not enough to get you back to where you started
-a chemistry textbook
-a lunchbag containing various items including corn, vinegar, milk, ham, and wine

Keep in mind there was nothing on this road, as it was in the country. No gas stations, malls, grocery stores, 7-Elevens, etc, and no farms either.

After parking the car you see a man in his 90s telling you he escaped a car crash in the 1960s in Ireland and is looking for the way back home. He has reportedly been to Canada and Australia since he was reported missing. He is carrying a backpack, contents unknown.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 10:46:12 PM »
I read through the chemistry book, with my knoledge, I create a cheap substitute for gas. And drive away.

You are in a cage, slowly sinking into a harbor with the help of a crane, you'll drown if no action is taken. all you have is a numb knife, (not strong enough to cut through the thick rope) and an old wood board.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 11:49:01 PM »
I'd throw the board at the control panel of the crane, hopefully stalling it and stopping the cage from lowering any farther. The knife is used as a very crude lockpick. I assume the cage is locked somehow. I assume.

After being sedated somehow, you wake up and find yourself in a thick, dense (about 8 inch thick walls) wooden crate that's been screwed shut. Since the effects of the sedative are still present, you're nowhere near strong enough to force the top of the crate off on your own power. You think this crate is on an airplane, and you're being shipped off to who-knows-where. There are a few airholes, each about an inch in diameter, on the top and sides of the crate; unfortunately, you discover your crate is in the middle of a multi-dimensional stack (as in, there are at least three other crates on all six sides of your crate) of several similar crates that are far too heavy to shove aside. Think of the ending of that one Indiana Jones movie with the Ark of the Covenant. The contents of the crate (and your pockets) are:

Packaging peanuts (essentially infinite)
$1.27 in U.S. coins of the following denominations: 4 quarters, 2 dimes, 1 nickel, 2 pennies
Swiss Army Knife (1, although all the "knife" attachments have been snapped off. You are left with the bottle opener and that useless thing that you use to dig under your fingernails)
Strings about 3 feet in length (several, let's say 30)
Bubble wrap (about 40 square feet, unpopped)
Granola bar (1/2, you ate the other half)
Safety pin (3)

You aren't sure what's in any of the other crates, but you hear a ticking noise, so you suspect one of them has a bomb, and thus you can't really afford to wait for the sedative to wear off. Through the rows of crates, you can also see a mouse in the distance. The floor of the airplane has a few pebbles, and the walls of the airplane have typical airplane safety gear (parachute and the like), but there's no doors in this section of the plane that you can access and the walls are solid metal. You also cannot reach anything outside the crate on your own, although if you can reach it with your stuff, go for it.

Your Move, McGyver.
~I.S.~

Print