Medic
2 (11.8%)
Spy
4 (23.5%)
Pyro
11 (64.7%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Print

Author Topic: Meet the...?  (Read 26931 times)

« on: June 24, 2008, 01:01:53 AM »
With the release of Meet the Sniper, we have 3 classes left. Which do you look forward to the most: Medic, Spy, or Pyro?

My vote goes to the Pyro. Medic and Spy do have great comedic potential, but the potential reveal of the Pyro's true face makes it my most anticipated. Heck, I bet they'll save it for last. And Spy second-to-last.

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 01:23:56 AM »
Yeah, I'd enjoy Meet The Pyro, but it'll probably be last. I really hope the Meet the Spy video starts off like one of the other videos, but then it's revealed that it's actually the Spy.
No! I don't want that!

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 02:14:20 AM »
Well, since I can't hear a word the Pyro says... yeah, that's probably the one I'd look most forward to. Valve has put out some awesome videos. A couple, not so awesome, but they're all great. I like them for their humor and the unbelievable attention to detail. If this kind of facial technology really is in Team Fortress 2... man, I'd say Valve has mastered lip synch and facial expressions (for video/computer games). There's just no point in competing with them, they are the best I've ever seen.

Meet the Soldier - Okay. Favorite part: Soldier chuckling to himself after recalling taking out the Spy.

Meet the Heavy - Great! Favorite part: His awesome line of "I have yet to meet one who can outsmart a bullet." This became even funnier in hindsight when the Demoman video came out and someone commented "He (the Demoman) outsmart bullet."

Meet the Engineer - Excellent! Favorite part: His priceless grin after he stops playing music to look over and see the missiles explode. I say it's a testament to Valve's animation and the personality they gave this character in that such a simple small detail can be so memorable.

Meet the Demoman - Excellent! This is just a tad below Engineer. Favorite part: The end part. He's setting up the mines. Heavy comes barreling through the corridor, looks up in surprise, a quick salute by Demoman, and kaboom! I was applauding him, it was a great trick. But then came the funniest moment of all: "Oh, they're going to have to glue you back together... IN HELL!!!"

Meet the Scout - Meh. What disappointed me here was how short it was and that the Scout's cocky attitude didn't seem to lead to much humor. Favorite part: The two seconds of Scout whacking Heavy with the bat. There's a really subtle detail at the end where the Heavy's hand twitches slightly. If they made that more noticeable, that would have also been a favorite part.

Meet the Sniper - Great! Seeing him stay in an enclosed area for hours on end, and responding when someone sighted him, were hilarious. But the most amazing part about this, which is probably what made the Engineer video so interesting, is that you feel like you're seeing a slice of this guy's life. He's all casual, it all feels real. Favorite part: Flicking the bobblehead at the beginning and saying "Boom, headshot!" Small detail that adds a lot to his personality and is funny in its own right.

I think the Sniper video did the best job at illustrating how Valve really has a knack for giving a feeling of reality to these videos. Like I said, seeing a slice of life. It actually seems like the car itself is really riding on a road (instead of a treadmill). Take a close look at the background at 0:14 to 0:23. Notice the background slows down and speeds up, suggesting the car's turning direction and that the background is really there.

Valve and Pixar really need to team up someday.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 02:25:21 AM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 02:21:43 AM »
I choose...

Meet the Spartans
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 07:37:58 AM »
Get out of this thread.

I'm looking forward to Meet the Pyro the most, partially because I want to see how far into the video the mask comes off, but mainly because the amount of humor that can be generated for a video about a character that can't be understood in-game is immense. Second-most-anticipated is Meet the Spy, just because there are so many different ways they could do it. Meet the Medic...it'll be great, but I want to see the other two more.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 03:40:10 PM »
Well, Meet the Medic can be pretty funny if "Hipocratic Oath" gets mispronounced, Meet the Pyro can be awesome if he talks as much as possible (2x point multiplier if he sings), and Meet the Spy...well, as long as Valve doesn't count the Spy's disguise as getting its own video.
every

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 04:26:13 PM »
As of right now, I like the Meet the Scout video the best. Then Sniper and Demoman.

I'm most looking forward to Pyro, but for different reasons. I don't think they're going to reveal the man (or woman!?!?!?!?!) under the mask. And I think that's good. Keep that element of mystery there.

I also think the Pyro video will be funniest with the least amount of talking possible. I'm imagining something like the YouTube video in which there are only taunts.

That's how I want my Pyro video: mask stays on, no talking, just visual humor. The Pyro is great for visual humor.

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 04:41:36 PM »
Get out of this thread.
Gosh Warp, it was just a joke. And a pretty funny one at that.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 04:53:32 PM »
"A pretty funny one?" You get out of this thread, too!

With 70 hours logged as a Medic, I am looking forward to experiencing and expanding the German accented, ethics-come-second, always-bogged-down-by-keeping-those-crazy-people-together man's personality.

But if we get to see the Pyro's actual face (which I doubt will happen), I'd look forward to Meet the Pyro the most. We might also get to clearly understand how gruff her voice exactly is.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 05:02:28 PM by Suffix »

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 06:10:09 PM »
Pyro's actual face
For some reason I have always imagined his face looking something similar to Deezer's.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 06:18:41 PM »
Time to set things straight, Samus style.

Quote from: Robin Walker, TF2 Lead Developer
We've never been terribly happy with the Pyro, in particular with her shallower skill curve than other combat classes.

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 06:35:23 PM »
Pyro.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 07:03:24 PM »
I doubt we would ever see the Pyro's face. So instead, I choose the Medic. It would be interesting to see what kind of gags Valve would pull off with the Medic's character. Heck, it'd be interesting just to see some of the Medic's character to begin with.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 07:26:22 PM »
What are you guys talking about?

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 08:09:09 PM »
I have no idea.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

Print