Print

Author Topic: Metroid: Other M  (Read 23694 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2010, 12:05:59 PM »
Then you are robbing the author of their intended effect. Once you experience something once, that's all you get. You can come back later and relive the fun you had the first time you experienced something; you can remember how fun it was to find things out the first time. But you'll never find that thrill when you already know everything, and you aren't letting the person who created your fun have the dignity to make it unfold in the artful way they wanted to present it to you.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2010, 12:34:29 PM »
I think a line does need to be drawn, though, between a "spoiler", as in something that just happens in a game/story that you wouldn't know about unless you played it for awhile (I know the existence of Light Yoshi and Cloud Mario amounted to a spoiler for some, even though at least one of those is prominently mentioned on the back of the SMG2 box) and a "spoiler", as in a critical occurance/item/reveal that events before and/or after hinge on.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2010, 02:44:12 PM »
There's no difference there. Both of those things still spoil the experience, just in different levels of intensity. Hence, spoilers.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2010, 04:03:44 PM »
Okay, I'll draw a finer line: Is there any difference between "thing you don't know" and "spoiler"?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2010, 04:20:38 PM »
If a game's official site tells you something, it's a preview. If your friend tells you the exact same thing, it's a spoiler.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2010, 04:56:07 PM »
Once you experience something once, that's all you get.
I'm starting to get frustrated so I'll say this one more time:

For me, at least, knowledge and experience are not the same thing.  I can know that Phantoon is a bonus boss but until I play that part myself it won't mean anything for me other than I know what to expect.  So it's not taking away anything but the shock factor.  And I don't like the shock factor.  In anything.  I like to know what's coming and prepare.  I like to know what's coming and think "I can't wait to play/see that for myself!" 
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
No, you are definitely experiencing it. Vicariously through the demo player's eyes in a tiny, compressed video on your computer. Which dilutes the experience forever.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2010, 05:58:54 PM »
Not.

For.

Me.

« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2010, 06:10:27 PM »
Following LD and Chup's logic, even knowing of a game's existence before buying it is an experience-ruining spoiler.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2010, 06:29:14 PM »
Those statements never make sense because that isn't even taking it to the logical extreme.
That was a joke.

« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2010, 12:50:41 AM »
[18:59:32] <Turtle> An LPer I subscribe to posted a video of himself unpackaging Other M.
[18:59:41] <Turtle> It kind of ticked me off.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2010, 06:03:34 AM »
(It ticked me off because my copy, for which I should have chosen an in-store pickup but didn't, hasn't arrived yet.)

« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2010, 03:07:27 PM »
TK plans on buying a second copy to frame and add to the Metroid shrine in his closet.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2010, 05:04:47 PM »
Finally.  'Tis here.

« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2011, 05:34:11 PM »
(I forget if this was the thread for posting story things about Other M, but I'm going to post it here anyway..)

This game is supposed to be a direct sequel to Super Metroid, isn't it? So why is Samus's breakdown during the Ridley scene such a big deal? The death of the baby Metroid is still weighing heavily on her mind, as well as most of her friends (or the people she knew) being killed by the assasin.

The sight of Ridley alone likely would've been enough to make anybody cry if he'd killed thier parents (and nearly killed them) when they were three, but she's also thinking about all those other things too.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print