Print

Author Topic: The 3rd Party Wall of Shame  (Read 6360 times)

« on: April 28, 2011, 12:56:31 PM »
http://pietriots.com/2010/12/17/the-3rd-party-wall-of-shame/

Granted, there are a few gems to be found in this list. But the fact still stands that the vast majority of the Wii's major third-party releases suck. The Wall of Shame is even more impressive (or depressive, I should say) if clumped together as such:

YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 01:42:12 PM »

Oh no, you didn't

And what the hell is Tatsunoko vs. Capcom doing on there!? Did the people making this do any REAL checks on what they were doing, or did they just list off as many 3rd-party titles as they possibly could?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 01:57:28 PM »
I thought the point was that a few good/okay games were mixed in to keep you on your toes. In any case, that article rambled on and off enough that I couldn't read it all the way through, but I'm glad someone took the time to catalog all of this.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 02:00:01 PM »
BP, as stated in the article, the list is all games from a given publisher at the time of writing. So there's a pretty good number of real games there, with the largest number being from Capcom (with both the highest number and the highest percentage of good games, though admittedly this is largely due to a good number of ports of quality last-gen titles), followed by Sega, Konami, and Namco (where you feel those three companies fall depends on your feelings toward some of the more prominent non-shovelware games in their respective catalogs).

The repeated complaints about rail shooters in that article show nothing more than a personal disdain for a genre that actually works great on the platform. Disregarding good games as "stuff" (as done in the Capcom section) is misrepresentation as well.

All of Activision's games there that could be considered "good" are multiplatform and better on the HD platforms. EA at least has the Boom Blox games to save them from that problem.

I'd like to see this expanded with some of the other third-party companies, even the ones who only have one or two titles on the platform. I'd also like to see it brought up-to-date for the companies already represented.

I'd also like to see the same done for the DS and, for fairness, the other three platforms this generation (because even though the Wii looks so bad in terms of third-party shovelware, Sony's platforms and the 360 aren't free of the stuff by any means).

The comment about Nintendo's NES-era policy is funny.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 04:56:19 PM by WarpRattler »

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 04:45:16 PM »
Mad World shouldn't be on that list.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 05:57:22 PM »
ITT: a picture of the covers of hundreds of Wii games, many of which are extremely awesome games.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 06:00:09 PM »
More like:

ITT: tl;dr

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 06:04:18 PM »
Nah, I read it. That's how I saw all the good games in there.

This thread is just further pushing of WeeGee's idiotic "rule" that the only good games in existance are developed by Nintendo or Square-Enix.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 06:08:16 PM »
Yeah, I thought that at first, but the point stands that most of the Wii's third-party releases do suck. On the other hand, that applies to everything else too.

Sturgeon's law, people.

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 06:18:24 PM »
Exactly. Sturgeon's Law is what I wanted to write about in my original post but I couldn't remember what it was called and posting from PS3, didn't feel like going through the work to look it up.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 07:49:09 PM »
So, thread = reality is intact
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 08:42:36 PM »
Imagine how much better the few good games here would have been, had they been developed by Nintendo.

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 08:55:05 PM »
Yeah, Nintendo would have made such a good The House of the Dead: Overkill. *eyeroll*

You're like a blind man who keeps telling us how cool it would be with the lights off. Yeah, dark can be cool but there's a whole world to look at out there, man.

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 08:58:13 PM »
Yeah, Nintendo would have made such a good The House of the Dead: Overkill. *eyeroll*

You'll never know for sure if you remain blind to the idea.

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 09:00:31 PM »
They don't develop M-rated stuff. Which was 90% of what made Overkill cool. You dumb mother****er.

Print