Give it away
2 (5.6%)
Sell it
3 (8.3%)
Trade it in
1 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Print

Author Topic: If you get a Wii U and have a Wii what'll you do with the old system?  (Read 18271 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2013, 09:38:39 PM »
Four of those options are "keep it," but I get what you mean. I'll probably keep my Wii when I get a Wii U, but the Wii will remain connected to the same display it is now, while the Wii U will be connected to my desktop monitor like my PS3 and 360 are, and none of the options here address that possibility. (I guess "hack it," but that's how it is already.)

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2013, 09:52:28 PM »
Yeah, that's what I mean. There's no option that corresponds to what I did, which is leave the Wii hooked up as is,and also hook up my Wii U to the same TV.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2013, 09:58:22 PM »
As it happens, my Wii U, hooked up to the TV with an HDMI cable, suffers from a noticeable split-second lag.  Whether this is the fault of the Wii U itself, of the use of an HDMI cable, of the TV, or of how I've got it set up, I don't know.  But I haven't been able to completely fix it.  Most games are still playable, though a little harder (I kept missing platform-edge jumps in NSMBU).  Rhythm Heaven Fever, however, is totally unplayable.
So I've got the Wii hooked up to the TV alongside the Wii U.  Pretty much just for that game.
Go Moon!

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2013, 01:20:11 AM »
This reminds me, I haven't touched my Wii U in months.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2013, 10:09:24 AM »
problem

That same thing happened to a TV that I was using as a computer monitor some time ago. The cause turned out to be some video effects that the TV was applying to the picture to make movies look better. A valiant effort on the TV's part, to be sure, but the mistake was in assuming that I was using the HDMI port for a Blu-Ray player or some such video device. Perhaps you could look for that sort of a setting, and see if turning it off would get rid of that delay. That's what worked for me.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2013, 11:53:03 AM »
That's part of why I use a PC monitor as a TV (for game systems, anyway) instead of the other way around. A lot of HDTVs have obnoxious post-processing effects that can't be disabled and result in horrible input lag, which is murder for any sort of timing-based gaming.

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2013, 05:08:40 PM »
HDMI video is lag-free on my TV but the audio gets offset a bit. Since this is murder to my rhythm-loving lifestyle I use RCA cable audio with HDMI video on 360 and PS3. The Wii U doesn't let you split it up like this (yet???) so I begrudgingly use component video (which still supports HD so whatevs).

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2013, 05:49:16 PM »
5th and LD, does your TV have a gaming mode?  If so, have you tried it? 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2013, 05:59:35 PM »
My TV has per-input designations that supposedly affect how the input is processed.  It also has a number of options for the processing it does.  I have tinkered with these as much as I am able, and nothing makes any significant difference.
Oddly, when the PS3 is hooked up to the TV via HDMI, all the processing things are completely disabled.  Like, I couldn't turn on that stupid "TruMotion" if I wanted to.  I wish I knew how to make the Wii U act like that, too.

LD, did the component input solve the lag problem completely?  I was considering it, but didn't want to spend the money on a cable if it were to end up with the same problem.
Go Moon!

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2013, 08:49:02 PM »
Yes, and I knew it would because it was the same lag that happens with HDMI audio on my TV, from any source. I've never had a problem with HDMI video though, so if you're missing jumps that sounds like more a video issue.

My favorite lag-testing Wii game is BIT.TRIP CORE. The NSMBU title screen is also surprisingly useful, where all four characters perform a grand buttstomp precisely on the final note of the song's intro.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2013, 07:30:40 PM »
Yeah, it was straight-up lag.  The video and audio were nicely synced with one another, just a split second late.
Anyway, I bought a component cable and managed to get the thing set up.  It did the trick, and performed without any lag.  It was a used cable, and had a little bit of ghosting going on (one of the color channels was a tiny bit offset, maybe?)  But it was barely noticeable, and there was no lag.
But in the process of setting it up, I somehow discovered the one option on my TV that actually makes a difference.  An option that I had previously dismissed as meaningless.  After toying with it, I found it eliminated the video lag in even the HDMI input, leaving me with just the offset audio problem.  And then I discovered the "audio sync" section...

And now I have a component cable to return.
Go Moon!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2013, 07:37:27 PM »
Anyone have a comparison of Runner on different systems/consoles.  I'm leaning towards Wii U and/or Steam, but I'm willing to go for the best in a game the depend so much on a lack of lag.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2013, 04:41:59 AM »
Let's just say that I already gave it away.
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2013, 02:15:12 PM »
I'd end up keeping my Wii and storing it somewhere, and the Wii U would take its spot on the TV.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2013, 08:42:07 PM »
Luigison: I'm a bit late here but check this post out.

Fifth: Great news!

Print