Print

Author Topic: Newbie Needs HELP NOW  (Read 1688 times)

« on: October 22, 2002, 05:14:19 PM »
Hi. I want to buy a gaming system for my kids (girls ages 6 and 9). They love Mario (played it at friends houses).

My husband wants to get Playstation, but I don't think Mario is on Playstation, is it?  I didn't find it in the official list of available games.

My husband wants to be able to play his action/sports/strategy games. My girls want to play Mario (especially) and other kids games. Hubby sez that Playstation has the best graphics -- better than Gamecube, X-Box or Gameboy. I don't know much about these game systems, except that they're all fairly expensive. I don't want to make a costly mistake.

What's a mom to do?  Some advice, PLEASE!!
Email me directly: lynn_schneider@yahoo.com

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2002, 05:47:00 PM »
Hmmmmm... How can I answer this...

Mario is a Nintendo Copyrighted character; that is, his games are only found on Nintendo systems... Thus, the only system of the 3 that would have ANY Mario games is the GameCube. Of course, Nintendo seems to be marketing to the ages of your kids...

Anyway, as for the husband... actually the XBox has better graphical capabilities than the PlayStation2... but the Playstation 2 has a much greater variety of games... not to mention an easier to handle controller... In actuality, the PS2 is likely the best choice for his gaming preferences...

Anyway, I can't really come up with a solution other than to get both (Maybe for Christmas? Sorry in advance if you don't celebrate Christmas) systems... problem there being that the systems combined will run you about $400 US... not to mention controllers, games, periphericals (That is, Memory cards and other accessories) Maintenance (Hey, you never know...) and other expeditures... It would be a rather expensive option... But, it is the only way I see to make anyone happy...

(I apologe in advance for my vague answer)
~I.S.~

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2002, 05:52:54 PM »
Well, I definetly suggest a Gamecube: my reasons:

1. Better Games (Mario, Star Fox, Pikmin)
2. The PS2 actually doesn't really have better graphics, GCN and PS2 are about the same)
3. Better Games for all ages:
If you have young children, PS2 and Xbox have many games with inapporiate content for young ones.  Plus, the games are fun for everyone.
4. Better Price: It's $60 dollars cheaper since it has no DVD.
5. It's smaller, better.
6. It's just good.
 n/a

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2002, 09:34:37 PM »
The Gamecube is also in a more compact size. Making it easier to move and/or carry around. If you want to get something cheaper, you could get a Nintendo 64 which includes a nice variety of good Mario Games for your daughters to enjoy!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2002, 11:22:42 PM »
Also, the PS2 has much more jaggy graphics than either of the other two systems. It simply has a greater number of games. However, GameCube has greater variety...
While XBox really doesn't have much going for it. The graphics may be pretty to look at, but the games have no substance.

My (non)professional opinion:
"The Nintendo GameCube is a reminder of one important fact- Nintendo is all about fun. Great game development is an art and Nintendo is the master of that art. No one else has the unmatched characters, ... and an unyielding focus on the game play experience- that's the Nintendo Difference."
--Excerpt from Nintendo GameCube brochure

I say get a GameCube because Nintendo is just the best, and that's really all there is to it.

Oh, and there are plenty of action/sports/strategy games on GameCube.

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 10/22/2002 10:24:51 PM
That was a joke.

Print