Print

Author Topic: Cube Wars Dissapointment  (Read 2144 times)

« on: May 19, 2004, 10:09:45 AM »
Hey everyone, I'm not sure if any of you know, but there is a new Gamecube Advance Wars coming out (I did hear it's going to be called Advance Wars even though it's for the Gamecube, for some reason). I don't really have time to post a link, so just search for it on Google. Anyway, I like the Advance Wars series, and my brother loves it, and we got very eager for a Gamecube one to come out. After seeing screenshots and a video, we couldn't believe it. It's going to be a third-person shooter game! No more strategy! Post any comments you guys have about it here.

PS- I don't know what the exact name of the game is, but I know it's Advance Wars something.

Do the Mario! Swing your arms from side to side, come on, it''s time to go do the Mario! Take one step, and then again, let''s do the Mario all together now! You got it! It''s the Mario! Do the Mario! Swing your arms from side to side, come on, it''s time to go do the Mario! Take one step, and then again! Let''s do the Mario altogether now! Come on now! Just like that!
Do the Mario! Swing your arms from side to side, come on, it''s time to go do the Mario! Take one step, and then again, let''s do the Mario all together now! You got it! It''s the Mario! Do the Mario! Swing your arms from side to side, come on, it''s time to go do the Mario! Take one step, and then again! Let''s do the Mario altogether now! Come on now! Just like that!

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 02:04:48 PM »
....And, how is this a dissapointment?
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 02:56:48 PM »
It's tentatively called Advance Wars: Under Fire, and I completely agree with you.  I was excited about the possibility of a souped-up massive turn-based strategy game with all of the awesome stuff that they could fit into a GCN game that wouldn't have been possible on the GBA - like 100+ COs to choose from, tons of new units and interactive environments/buildings, different selectible unit sets or "species," persistent hero units with special abilities, editible campaigns, gorgeous graphics, etc...that would be pure gaming bliss.

Instead the new game appears to be a spin-off and not an actual sequel, which wouldn't bother me TOO much except that it might signal the new direction for the series, which means that there might not be another turn-based-strategy Wars game for a VERY long time.

From what I've seen and heard, it's not even shaping out to be a very well-done third-person-shooter.  I'll keep an open mind and give it a chance, but not with high expectations.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 03:03:10 PM »
It has occured to me that Nintendo might have a good reason not to bring a true Wars game to the GCN.  Much of the fun of the Advance Wars games was the multiplayer mode, and that was most fun when fog of war was enabled.  The functionality of the fog-of-war feature pretty much requires the use of a hand-held gaming system where the screen can be revealed to only one player at a time.  Fog of war on a large-screen setting would still limit what units you could attack and when, but there wouldn't be any element of surprise, because the fog would be lifted from the enemy units as soon as your turn ended.  It would be pointless.  The true multiplayer experience of the Wars series on a big screen would require multiple television hooked up in some bizzaire, unrealistic inter-web type thing, which any serious gaming company like Nintendo would never even consider.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 09:43:44 AM »
Well, I don't even like playing Fog Of War, but you know, they could just make it that the other people should look away when it's not their turn (although your friends would have to be trustful). Another thing would be LAN, they have three LAN games and I think it's really cool (considering they don't even have online gaming), and to make it even better, Warp Pipe would probably support it. I'm not sure about 100+ COs, because than they wouldn't have enough powers and eventually some COs would be better than another one in every way. I really like turn-based games which is why I'm dissapointed, so, yeah. Oh, and for the fog of war thing, what about Famicom Wars, Super Famicom Wars, and 64 Wars that were all released in Japan? They must did something to use a big screen, even if they don't have the fog of war feature.

Print