Print

Author Topic: Cool DS Experience  (Read 3294 times)

« on: April 08, 2005, 04:06:51 PM »
Two cool things happened to me during my Spring Break concerning my DS:

In the airport, our flight got cancelled, so we were sitting around doing nothing. Pretty boring. So to waste some time, I busted out Yoshi's Touch and Go and began a Time Attack run. About halfway through, I look up to see this kid staring at me holding his DS up. So, by instinct, I restart my DS and go to Multiplayer mode. We engage in several YT&G battles when our flight is called. We both shut off our DSs (did I mention I was about 25 feet away from him?) and as he is walking away, I hear him saying something to his parents. Except that he's not speaking English. I think he was speaking German or something. See? Videogames are the universal language!

Story #2:

I was pretty bored in our hotel: it was night time and there was nothing to do. I went down into the lobby to find a bunch of kids sitting around doing nothing. We started talking and some kid said "Do any of you have DSs?" To my surprise, 4 other kids said yes (including me). We then got into furious matches of Metroid Hunters, Super Mario 64x4, Zoo Keeper, and Ridge Racer. I whooped 'em all!

I think this aspect of the DS is really great, though I have one question: can somebody specifically explain to me how the online DS is going to work? Will it use telephone wires, or Nintendo kiosks? If kiosks, where will those be located? Would I be able to play in my house?

Share your DS experiences here

If a tree falls in the woods, do all the others laugh at it?

Edited by - boomstix on 4/8/2005 3:07:45 PM
BOOM is for BOOMSTIX!

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 04:28:16 PM »
Those stories are great, boomstix! The first one especially took me by surprise and made me think, "Whoa, that rocks!!"

Aside from WarioWeed, I unfortunately don't have any DS-related stories or thoughts to share so far.

"He is not a fool who gives up what he cannot keep for the sake of what he can never lose."

The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 04:33:22 PM »
Excellent! The only time I've had some really neat DS experiences were in swim meets. During one in particular, I whipped two other people in SM64DS. Unfortunately, they became bored, and one was rather foul in particular. In a flurry of frustration, he turned the power off and stormed away.

I've also played SM64DS during lunch at my high school, with two people, at separate times. Both of them had no clue as to what they were doing.

Edited by - Suffix on 4/8/2005 6:44:52 PM

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 05:10:32 PM »
Wow, brilliant stories. Just, brilliant.

I wish I could get some stories... I hardly bring my DS anywhere, I fear of it getting stolen. I try, though...

------------------------------
"They won''''t miss it..."-The little voice in my head.
------------------------------
"Smash anyone and anything that gets in your way!"-Falco, Star Fox: Assault

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 07:01:23 PM »
> Videogames are the universal language!

That's so good I had to repeat it.  Story #1 was great.

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 05:49:14 PM »
I had an interesting DS experience: NOT BUYING ONE! No offense, but I think the DS is really overated.

"You can milk anything with nipples."~Gaylord Focker
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 06:02:36 PM »
I love the mine, but agree that it's a little over rated right now.  That's because it has not been fully realized yet.  WarioWare Touched! and Yoshi's Touch & Go are great games, but they don't take advantage of a lot of the Nintendo DS's abilities.  I think we'll see a lot more from Animal Crossing DS and at E3.  Imagine playing a DS game noline with someone on these forums while voice chatting with them.  The DS can also have PDA, iPod, and movie player like functions if Nintendo takes advantage of its potential.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2005, 06:09:42 PM »
It's not over rated, we're just to anxious to be able to use all of its functions. Until the day when we can do that-- it's simply a topic of great anxiousness.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 06:11:52 PM »
Suffix may be right.  I may spend nearly as much time thinking of what the DS could be as I do actually playing it.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2005, 06:30:29 PM »

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2005, 09:20:58 PM »
I think the PSP is pretty cool and Sony did a good job of advertising it (MUCH better than Nintendo w/ the DS), but apart from NBA Street and Tony Hawk, there aren't really any games that I'm interested in, as opposed to games like Metroid, Mario, Kirby, and Rayman, which I've loved for a long time.

BOOM is for BOOMSTIX!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2005, 11:00:21 PM »
Yeah, the advertising seemed lacking. I think there have been around twice as many television campains for the PSP compared to the DS. They really need to reach out more.

K-MINUS ONE! One, I say!

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2005, 04:45:58 PM »
I really dont care that much that the PSP only has 2 sweet games, theres more stuff to do on it than the DS. you can listen to music, watch DVDs and of course play games on it. its the obvious winner in the long run.

As i said before...
Bizzaned -Deezer

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2005, 05:06:52 PM »
Reading this topic and thinking about Led Zeppelin gave me an interesting idea. Playing music on the touch screen. Maybe you could use the stylus to strum a guitar on the screen.
If so many people have so many ideas, surely the people at Nintendo will come up with some really good ones, right?

"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2005, 05:49:19 PM »
Isn't that like "Jam with the Band"?

marioassistant: Wrong, it can't play DVDs. It can play specially formatted discs that can cost over 25 bucks a movie. So you would basically have to buy a movie again even if you already have it on DVD. Doesn't that stink?

Edited by - boomstix on 4/10/2005 5:16:35 PM
BOOM is for BOOMSTIX!

Print