Print

Author Topic: Awesome Arcade Amusement!  (Read 2556 times)

« on: October 16, 2005, 01:17:19 AM »
Well, not so much "awesome" as just...there.

Now, everyone likes to do things.  I like, when my time and homework allows, to go to the local mall, and visit an arcade named Cyberstation.  It's not really big, but it has a decent selection.  What all this babble is about is...What kind of games will you play at an arcade, game hall, or even the entrance to a bowling alley.  Are you a racing fan?  Must you visit the Air-hockey table?  Do you lust for some alien-blasting fun?

I am personally a fan of the Time Crisis game line.  My buddy and I can run through too much money, just trying to get a little farther.  When we do Co-op, he always has the higher score…Which is odd, cause I don’t feel I do badly, but, alas, I need more practice.

Though the pedal pounding pleasure (w00t, another  triple letter acronym) of Time Crisis is good, I have always loved pinball.  I don’t know why I like it, I just do.  Maybe it’s the simplicity of the whole thing.  Or I could just like the flashing lights and DING sounds…

Thinking of the arcade, I am reminded of this Wednesday.  I got out of school early, due to the PSAT that I took, and no homework left to do.  With nothing to do, I went to the mall  with a good  friend, his girlfriend, and her friend.  We wander around for a while, then we head into Cyberstation waste a little more time.  My friend Steve and I play Time Crisis 3, of course, and the two girls play ski ball.  They gather a good amount of tickets, and I’m out of singles, not willing to spend a fin on tokens, fairly quickly.  We go to “cash in” the tickets, and there is no guy behind the counter.  Granted, it was about 12:30, on a Wednesday.  There was one other group of 3 people there.  But I still expected SOMEONE to be working.  I look towards the back, and the guy is on the computer, and from what Steve saw, coming back from one of the old Area 51 machines, was playing some card game.  I scrounge another 50 cents for another couple rounds of ski ball, thinking he’d see the two girls standing at the counter.  He didn’t.  Finally, I say from the desk (about the middle of the arcade)  â€œPlease get off the computer and service us!” loud enough for him to realize I said something.  He gets up, I start joking with the rest of them to get the cookies for their tickets, and he says when he gets near us “You can just ask for assistance.”

“Alrighty-then, I‘ll do that the next time you aren‘t doing your job” and start to turn, and he stands, as if in a threatening way, a few inches in front of me.  Not a huge guy myself, but about 6’1”, I’m still looking down as he says “Or you could get out of my store”

Now, this may be the sarcasm I got from my mother, but I resisted the urge to make a crack at the fact that he was already up and ready to help, but held it back, thinking, don’t push it.  I took the warning and just said, “okay…”  He repeats, “Please leave my store.”  I leave the place, laughing to myself. I joked with Steve later how that was probably the most unexpected response.  Now, I don’t expect any real response on the incident here, and I just needed to let all the people know of the situation so I may say this to anyone who works in an arcade “If you do not do your job, expect 15 year olds to make fun of you when you try to be tough.”

Anyway…Just asking for people to give an idea of what they prefer to play in an arcade environment.

Fungi Forums-Because it''s the stupid, pointless thing to do!
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 06:09:59 AM »
During this summer, I went and visited my hometown, the Philipines, and I went to a big 4-floored mall. I found an arcade called g-Cube. (No not Gamecube.) I saw many arcade machines. I found a strength tester where you have to punch the machine when it comes up. I saw DDR, many 25c rides for the kiddies. One of those rides had Mario riding Yosh! I found out there was a second floor and I saw that it was like game heaven. I saw a kareoke booth. (Not Kareoke Revolution. Just a regular Kareoke machine.) on another side, I saw a GC, PS2, and XBOX place for gamers. It was like a mini-E3 there. I played many games that ween't able to be shown to America. I even saw M128! (Too bad I couldn't play it. I played: LOZ:TP, FFXII, DDR:MM and Jump Superstars. The atmosphere here applies to all gamers. I saw posters of, Mario, other Nintendo Characters, a poster of Yuna from FFX, and a poster of Gordon Freeman from Half-Life 2.

When I returned home, It was the start of August. I started to chill out, and then I went to PAX with a few friends. There was a tournament to win a massive load of NES stuff. I played MK:DD, a board game called Diceland, and A SSBM tournament came. There were millions of people participating for this tournament. Unfortunally, I lost. (27th Place. I used Mario.) They also had a movie showing of the Wizard. That was the best Summer of my life. It even makes me feel better to lay back for a few days before School.

Most of the Arcades I go to in America are usually one where you have to rack up tickets for a prize.

Mario and Luigi They’re our men, if they can’t triple-jump and ground-pound no one can!

Edited by - Aarom11 on 10/16/2005 5:11:13 AM

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 06:49:08 AM »
I like air hocky, DDR, and certain pinball machines.  I also like classic arcade games like Moon Patrol, Defender, Galaga, Pac-man, etc.  I wish I could find a Nintendo Player's Choice machine.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 12:16:59 PM »
I tried DDR, but I looked like a fool, so I have decided that I'll wait for DDR:MM, get less...bad, and try again in public.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 12:25:24 PM »
What he said^.  I looked like an clutzy idiot.

DRAGGING BEHIND YOU< THE SILENT REPROACH OF A MILLION TEAR-STAINED EYES....
I only watch [adult swim]

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 01:01:17 PM »
You went to PAX? Jealous!

Lizards in zoos are really dudes - dudes using disguises everyday.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 01:12:40 PM »
Punching a strength machine?  I'd rather drop-kick it.  Anyway, whenever I go to an arcade, I MUST PLAY SKI BALL.  It's one of the better things I'm good at that is athletic.  Sure, I can run fast and jump well, but those don't seem as athletic or as special as ski ball.  Not that I'm claiming to be the master, but I'm good at it, at least.  Also, the game where there's a big circle of light bulbs inside of a clear platic dome thing and the light goes around and you have to hit the button to stop the light, and the light bulbs are numbered as to how many tickets you get when you land on that light bulb.  I'm not bad at that either.  Oh, and this is all worthwhile, because arcade prizes are the BEST things in the world.

“Of all the people I know, it is expected that Watoad will say ‘cheese’ first.”
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 03:23:25 PM »
I also like to play Basketball when there is a hoop, and there are only 3-4 balls you can shoot.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 08:31:01 AM »
There's this arcade near where I live (just called "Arcade") that has the ultimate selection of games: House of the Dead I and II, Super Off-Road, Alien Storm, Crisis Zone, San Francisco Rush, Street Fighters 1 through III, Mortal Kombats 1 through 3, Spy Hunter and CyberSled. It is truly awesome, and the manager is nice. Once she led someone (not me) play a game without putting in a quarter.

-------------------------------------
"How are you gentlemen !! All your base are belong to us !! You are on the way to destruction. You have no chance to survive make your time. HA HA HA HA ...."
-Cats, Zero Wing (Genesis)
every

Print