Poll

Who was your favorite Final fantasy I character when you start?

Warrior/Fighter
Thief
Monk/Black Belt
White Mage
Red Mage
Black Mage
Print

Author Topic: Favorite Final fantasy I charachter  (Read 11033 times)

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« on: May 22, 2006, 05:25:43 PM »
I love the first Final Fantasy and I know I'm not the only one. I especially liked how you had a customizable party. My favorite was The Monk. How about the rest of you guys?

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 06:21:19 PM »
Is it just me, or is the word "character" spelled worse and worse every day around here? Anyway, I like the Monk. He's so.......monkey. Haha. Get it? Monkey.....yeah.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 07:47:00 PM »
haha funny. Sorry about the spelling error. I meant to spell it right. All of the Runescape I play screws with my typing ability.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 08:35:00 PM »
I voted Black Mage. Sorcery rocks.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 08:54:27 PM »
I've always had a thing for the red-haired Fighter...

...which you call Warrior. Also you called the Black Belt a Monk.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 08:57:11 PM by Lizard Dude »

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 08:58:30 PM »
The first party I ever created was four Black Mages.

I have an undying hatred for Black Belts. (Or Monks for those of you who have only played remakes.) I also don't feel any need to justify this hatred.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 09:01:32 PM »
Oh, they changed the names? Why is it a Monk? They clearly have black belts.

How far did you get with the Black Mages?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 09:19:03 PM »
Sorry, I've omly played dawn of souls. I'll change that.

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 09:20:20 PM »
I like the Red Mage, because he can use white magic and black magic...awesome!

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 10:32:40 PM »
Well, it's more likely they were changed in the original NES version from the actual Japanese translation. But, that's besides the point.

NES - Remakes
Fighter - Warrior
Knight - Knight
Thief - Thief
Ninja - Ninja
Black Belt - Monk
Master - Master
Red Mage - Red Mage
Red Wizard - Red Wizard
White Mage - White Mage
White Wizard - White Wizard
Black Mage - Black Mage
Black Wizard  - Black Wizard

When I first played Final Fantasy, I was pretty young. Around 7 or 8ish. I didn't get too far (Though I do believe I managed to beat Garland). I have since gone back, however, and beaten the game with a party of four Black Mages. It's really not that difficult. One Black Mage, now that's a different story.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 10:47:27 PM »
I've got the GBA version.
Hmmm, tough choice. The Red Mage obviously pops into mind, with both types of magic and decent physical abilities. The Warrior is a given for every party, I've never gotten far without one. The Monk is really cheap but rather boring. Thieves are cool, especially when they get the basics of black magic as Ninjas. Black Mages are awesome, what with Flares flyin' everywhere. White Mages, I don't often use...
So yeah, the winner is Red Mage. Is it me, or is FFI hard? It took me forever to beat it, I would do just fine at level 40 and get to the final boss whose identity I will not spoil, but I'd never beat him. Now I'm at level 90 and the "no problem" status... Was the NES version that hard? Harder?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 12:04:23 PM »
Uh, I haven't played Dawn of Souls yet but I'm guessing the NES version was waaaaaaaaay harder.

The Fighter-->Warrior change struck me as odd because your party as a whole is called the LIGHT WARRIORS.

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 12:11:00 PM »
Every time I play Final Fantasy I'm always a black mage. In all the Final Fantasy games where you could pick your class at least.
SSBB theme lyrics: I'll be the Marth, Luigi noob, This is Yoshi's B, This monkey wants to hug him. I'll heat the duck, Uigi noob, pooped through the dress this monkey wears to work.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 11:01:28 AM »
 The NES version is much, much more difficult than the Dawn of Souls version. Dawn of Souls is really a mockery of the original. Don't get me wrong, the extras were nice, but the game was drastically changed, as opposed to the Origins version, where any additions that were made could be turned off.

Some Examples of Changes are:

Dashing
- No dashing in the original.
Spell structure - (This is probably the biggest change, in the original there was no such thing as MP. There are eight levels of spells, and you can cast a certain amount of each level. Certainly made the game much more difficult, as you really had to watch what spells you were using. None of that Fire 2 every random battle. Unless they were the Ice Wolves. Then you'd FIR2, and run back to the inn to heal.)
Life 2 - (Couldn't be used in battle in the original)
Elemental/Monster Specific Weapons - (They didn't work in the original. Giant Sword wouldn't do more damage to Giants, and so on. More of a programming error than anything else)
Max Level - As I recall, the max level in the original was 50. It's been awhile though, so it might actually be lower.
Saving - You could only save at inns (Or Tents/Cabins) in the original. Die in the Ice Cave? Join the club, everyone does.
Buying Items - You could only buy in quantities of one. Turbo controlers made buying 99 potions a little less time consuming.
Ineffective - That's right. Another big change. Repeatedly hitting the A button? None of that in the past. If you had all four Light Warriors target a monster, and the first one killed it, your party members would not change their target. They'd swing at what you told them, and you'd be treated to a lovely Ineffective. Made battles a lot less boring, as you have to actually pay attention.

There are probably more changes, but I'm just going off the top of my head here. What I've listed might not look like much, but it alters the game significantly. Dawn of Souls is most definitely the easiest, and least true to the original.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 11:03:24 AM by Black Mage »

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 01:06:00 PM »
I always kind of liked Ineffective. It made it feel like the whole battle was happening at once, instead of everyone taking turns. In real life if four people attack a monster and do more damage than they need to kill it, the extra attacks don't magically apply to the next monster.

On the other hand, it was kind of annoying. *shrug*

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 03:04:54 PM »
I heard that the spell names were confined to only four letters in the NES version due to space limits.

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 01:42:10 AM »
It's true! Check this out:

CURE
HARM
FOG
RUSE
LAMP
MUTE
ALIT
INVIS
CUR2
HRM2
AFIR
HEAL
PURE
FEAR
AICE
AMUT
CUR3
LIFE
HRM3
HEL2
SOFT
EXIT
FOG2
INV2
CUR4
HRM4
ARUB
HEL3
LIF2
FADE
WALL
XFER

FIRE
SLEP
LOCK
LIT
ICE
DARK
TMPR
SLOW
FIR2
HOLD
LIT2
LOK2
SLP2
FAST
CONF
ICE2
FIR3
BANE
WARP
SLO2
LIT3
RUB
QAKE
STUN
ICE3
BRAK
SABR
BLND
NUKE
STOP
ZAP!
XXXX

Yeah, just try figuring out what the heck those mean. Especially when it's your first RPG. Manual NOT OPTIONAL.

I gotta admit looking back, though -- RUB, QAKE, BRAK, NUKE, ZAP!, and XXXX are awesome spell names. :P

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 03:08:15 PM »
I also believe that the Japanese version had the original names. Some of them were changed due to religeous reasons.

WALL was originally Protect, for example.
HARM was originally Holy, so there's your religeous content that NOA was obligated to cut.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 03:50:43 PM »
Well obviously the Japanese version had the original names.

I guess I really should buy the complete copy of FF1 that we have at work

At any rate, Black Mages are simply the coolest.
That was a joke.

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2006, 09:54:17 PM »
In Japanese, you can fit a heck of a lot more into four spaces than you can in English.

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 03:46:05 AM »
My favorite was the thief; I have no idea why, I guess he just looked cool.

I never played the NES game for more than five minutes, but I have completed the GBA game. Since the thief was my favorite character, I named him Krisp, after me. :D

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 08:38:32 AM »
Red Mage all the way.

Also, I got rid of Dawn of Souls because Final Fantasy I was way too easy. Now I'm searching for a copy of the NES version...
Alas! I have returned. (3/22/07)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2006, 08:53:43 PM »
It isn't rare.
That was a joke.

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2006, 09:22:30 PM »
I never can seem to find it in any local game stores...also, the only copies I've seen online are bordering fifty dollars.
Alas! I have returned. (3/22/07)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2006, 11:06:20 PM »
Yeah, I know all about those changes. But I'm confident they were made when FF1 and 2 were remade for the PS1, the GBA version is just using the PS1 version.

Also, Nuke > Flare. It just IS. Although I prefer the Thunder -> Thundara system over LIT -> LIT2.
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2006, 08:50:45 AM »
I kinda like the numereical system. Although Bolt sounds better than LIT.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2006, 06:23:41 PM »
Wow Ludwig... where I work, we sell it for $10 a copy.
Also, Bird Person, they had the magic system in place in the Japanese version. They weren't the same in the American version because they didn't have enough room to write everything in English letters.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 06:30:41 PM by Chupperson Weird »
That was a joke.

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2006, 07:31:05 PM »
(deleted)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 08:24:44 AM by DekuSamurai »

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2006, 11:38:13 PM »
I agree about "Ineffective" Lizard Dude. I enjoyed the older version more, as it was more difficult. Battles were more interesting as you had to plan out your attack, instead of just how many times you need to hit the A button.

Bird Person, the GBA and the PSX versions of the game are different. Very much so. They have their similarities, graphics and music (The PSX's music is of better quality, but the GBA does a nice job), and the difficulty is indeed lessened for the GBA version. Prices of items and magic differ, and more importantly the whole Magic system was changed to the MP system. That's a massive difference between the NES/WSC/PSX and the GBA version. You don't have to believe me, but I assure you I am not telling you any lies.

The changes I listed were really just a few things that I could remember that I felt affected gameplay and difficulty. There are plenty of changes between the Japanese and English versions, and if you're really interested you could investigate it further. A few more that I can think of  (For trivia's sake) are that in the English version, the "Eye" monster in the Ice Cave was changed. There's no real reason for it, but they're different. Crosses were changed to candles. Names in general, as spells, monsters and items were changed. And in Elf Land, or Elfheim in the more recent translations, the tombstone near the entrence read "Here lies Erdrick." (The hero from Dragon Quest/Warrior) in the English NES release. In the Japanese version, and the more recent English translations, it reads "Here lies Link."
Eh, there's plenty more I'm sure, but that's all I'm coming up with at the moment.

Also, HARM wasn't Holy. HARM is the equivalent to the Dia spells. Holy was FADE in the NES version.

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2006, 12:12:27 AM »
We don't call him Black Mage for nothin', folks!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2006, 02:11:58 PM »
Also, HARM wasn't Holy. HARM is the equivalent to the Dia spells. Holy was FADE in the NES version

Oops. Guess the person who wrote the Wikipedia article doesn't have all the answers.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2006, 05:51:48 PM »
First off, everyone writes the Wikipedia. See that Edit tab over every section?
Secondly, I'm sorry, Black Mage. I know I can't argue with you, after all you ARE Black Mage. I didn't know about the MP system change. I knew about Erdrick and Link (such brave warriors, we'll miss you) and ineffective. Ineffective was actually a change made from FFI to FFII, right? The remakes had the change (not in the Hard mode of the PSX version?) to go along with it. I knew about the spell name changes to make the text less basic. So in short, I do believe you.
The GBA version should've had hard/easy to include ineffective and please oldbie (opposite of newbie) fans.
It's YOUR problem!

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2006, 05:26:02 PM »
 Ineffective was actually present in the original Final Fantasy II as well. Final Fantasy III NES was actually the first one to do away with it.

As for the PSX version, Origins, you had the ability to turn Ineffective on or off. Same goes with Dashing. I can't recall if you could change how Life 2 worked, but I seem to think it wasn't able to be used in battle like the original.

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2006, 12:32:13 PM »
What are my Mages doing in FFI on GBA when I cast a spell? Sucking on a sucker? Shining an apple? Preparing to roll dice?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2006, 05:54:50 PM »
Better yet, where does the main character carry all his stuff?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2006, 07:15:34 PM »
What are my Mages doing in FFI on GBA when I cast a spell? Sucking on a sucker? Shining an apple? Preparing to roll dice?
I always thought that they were reading the cheat sheet on casting spells that they wrote on their hand.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2006, 11:08:13 PM »
When I was playing FF1 on the NES the other day, I noticed the Erdrick reference. I wondered if it was an American localization choice to have it say Erdrick. Now I know. Also I wondered if it was meant to be a reference or a jab at Dragon Quest/Warrior. It seems a little harder to understand now that I know about the Link deal.
That was a joke.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2006, 06:23:08 PM »
 They are casting the spell. Much like a wizard casting a trigger sequence in Dungeons and Dragons, they're chanting verbal incantations as well as making hand movements.

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2006, 08:48:19 PM »
Black mages are the coolest out of all the characters. Why?  Because they can use lots of magic, and is of the offensive variety which is much funner.   White mages hardly have any offensive spells at all so they are not as fun.  As for the red mages-they bug me.  They are not strong in either offensive or defensive spells which makes them not as neat.
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."--Woodrow Wilson

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2006, 01:22:43 PM »
I'm not going to change my vote, but I actually think the best character is a Monk with Haste and Temper.

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2006, 05:06:07 PM »
none yhey all Suck and so does the series exept the card game in the 8th one and it's music.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2006, 05:11:15 PM »
Why are you posting here if you have no interest in the game and you have no good point to make? >:(

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2006, 05:16:44 PM »
Oh! sorry was i supposed to make a point??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2006, 05:36:32 PM »
Well yes. This forum isn't for you to just spew random words whenever you feel like. Doing so makes you look like a n00b.

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2006, 05:53:29 PM »
okay okay i'll be serious from now on well most of the time.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2006, 05:57:30 PM »
What do you mean "Most of the Time"?

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2006, 05:59:12 PM »
read it loud and clear! bouts'

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2006, 01:21:30 AM »
 Let's keep it on topic, boys.

Lizard Dude, I think you're probably right about the Master. Though I have not leveled a Master to maximum level, I would imagine that you would see an insane number of hits with equally mind boggling damage. I'm not sure if I'd say the class is the best, however, as it starts out extremely slow during the beginning of the game. Low defense and rather low attack (when compared to that of a Fighter) makes the Blk Belt pretty useless for a nice portion of the game. End-game, definitely a force to be reckoned with, but early on I've never had good experiences.

Some people swear by the job though. Whatever works, I suppose.

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2006, 09:29:40 AM »
the only thing i like about the final fantasy series is the card game in the 8th one and it's music.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2006, 03:36:07 PM »
You said that already. If you don't have anything else to add, quit posting on this topic.

« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2006, 03:54:54 PM »
bzzzzzzzzzdwhizo "GAME OVER!"for great momentsin tv land WHAAAAAT?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2006, 04:35:21 PM »
I don't believe this.......

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2006, 09:38:59 PM »
warrior because i like warriors.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2006, 07:43:51 AM »
That's a dumb reason. I think you might be someone I met before.......

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2006, 12:09:31 PM »
Go away stairmaster109.  We all know your true identity.  It is not very wise to be disguised here at the Fungi Forums.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2006, 02:23:55 PM »
The nightmare has ended fuzzy. This Fungi criminal has been put into his place.

Print