Poll

Who was your favorite Final fantasy I character when you start?

Warrior/Fighter
Thief
Monk/Black Belt
White Mage
Red Mage
Black Mage
Print

Author Topic: Favorite Final fantasy I charachter  (Read 11041 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 03:04:54 PM »
I heard that the spell names were confined to only four letters in the NES version due to space limits.

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 01:42:10 AM »
It's true! Check this out:

CURE
HARM
FOG
RUSE
LAMP
MUTE
ALIT
INVIS
CUR2
HRM2
AFIR
HEAL
PURE
FEAR
AICE
AMUT
CUR3
LIFE
HRM3
HEL2
SOFT
EXIT
FOG2
INV2
CUR4
HRM4
ARUB
HEL3
LIF2
FADE
WALL
XFER

FIRE
SLEP
LOCK
LIT
ICE
DARK
TMPR
SLOW
FIR2
HOLD
LIT2
LOK2
SLP2
FAST
CONF
ICE2
FIR3
BANE
WARP
SLO2
LIT3
RUB
QAKE
STUN
ICE3
BRAK
SABR
BLND
NUKE
STOP
ZAP!
XXXX

Yeah, just try figuring out what the heck those mean. Especially when it's your first RPG. Manual NOT OPTIONAL.

I gotta admit looking back, though -- RUB, QAKE, BRAK, NUKE, ZAP!, and XXXX are awesome spell names. :P

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 03:08:15 PM »
I also believe that the Japanese version had the original names. Some of them were changed due to religeous reasons.

WALL was originally Protect, for example.
HARM was originally Holy, so there's your religeous content that NOA was obligated to cut.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 03:50:43 PM »
Well obviously the Japanese version had the original names.

I guess I really should buy the complete copy of FF1 that we have at work

At any rate, Black Mages are simply the coolest.
That was a joke.

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2006, 09:54:17 PM »
In Japanese, you can fit a heck of a lot more into four spaces than you can in English.

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 03:46:05 AM »
My favorite was the thief; I have no idea why, I guess he just looked cool.

I never played the NES game for more than five minutes, but I have completed the GBA game. Since the thief was my favorite character, I named him Krisp, after me. :D

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 08:38:32 AM »
Red Mage all the way.

Also, I got rid of Dawn of Souls because Final Fantasy I was way too easy. Now I'm searching for a copy of the NES version...
Alas! I have returned. (3/22/07)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2006, 08:53:43 PM »
It isn't rare.
That was a joke.

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2006, 09:22:30 PM »
I never can seem to find it in any local game stores...also, the only copies I've seen online are bordering fifty dollars.
Alas! I have returned. (3/22/07)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2006, 11:06:20 PM »
Yeah, I know all about those changes. But I'm confident they were made when FF1 and 2 were remade for the PS1, the GBA version is just using the PS1 version.

Also, Nuke > Flare. It just IS. Although I prefer the Thunder -> Thundara system over LIT -> LIT2.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2006, 08:50:45 AM »
I kinda like the numereical system. Although Bolt sounds better than LIT.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2006, 06:23:41 PM »
Wow Ludwig... where I work, we sell it for $10 a copy.
Also, Bird Person, they had the magic system in place in the Japanese version. They weren't the same in the American version because they didn't have enough room to write everything in English letters.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 06:30:41 PM by Chupperson Weird »
That was a joke.

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2006, 07:31:05 PM »
(deleted)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 08:24:44 AM by DekuSamurai »

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2006, 11:38:13 PM »
I agree about "Ineffective" Lizard Dude. I enjoyed the older version more, as it was more difficult. Battles were more interesting as you had to plan out your attack, instead of just how many times you need to hit the A button.

Bird Person, the GBA and the PSX versions of the game are different. Very much so. They have their similarities, graphics and music (The PSX's music is of better quality, but the GBA does a nice job), and the difficulty is indeed lessened for the GBA version. Prices of items and magic differ, and more importantly the whole Magic system was changed to the MP system. That's a massive difference between the NES/WSC/PSX and the GBA version. You don't have to believe me, but I assure you I am not telling you any lies.

The changes I listed were really just a few things that I could remember that I felt affected gameplay and difficulty. There are plenty of changes between the Japanese and English versions, and if you're really interested you could investigate it further. A few more that I can think of  (For trivia's sake) are that in the English version, the "Eye" monster in the Ice Cave was changed. There's no real reason for it, but they're different. Crosses were changed to candles. Names in general, as spells, monsters and items were changed. And in Elf Land, or Elfheim in the more recent translations, the tombstone near the entrence read "Here lies Erdrick." (The hero from Dragon Quest/Warrior) in the English NES release. In the Japanese version, and the more recent English translations, it reads "Here lies Link."
Eh, there's plenty more I'm sure, but that's all I'm coming up with at the moment.

Also, HARM wasn't Holy. HARM is the equivalent to the Dia spells. Holy was FADE in the NES version.

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2006, 12:12:27 AM »
We don't call him Black Mage for nothin', folks!

Print